Modules, Plug-Ins and Component

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jonabaca
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Modules, Plug-Ins and Component

Post by jonabaca » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 am

Hi,

I recently migrated a Joomla installation to a new server. Suddenly I can't install components, plug-ins or modules. I've been trawling around the forums for an answer, and the most common one is "Please install Joomla again." It's a rather bitter pill to swallow, since the installation is on a live server, so I'm open to a lot of suggestions.

Now, assuming there is no other way to fix it, I'd have to swallow the bitter pill and talk to my supervisors. Any suggestions on how I explain that?

Additionally, I'm interested in finding out what causes this error to happen. So, if any of you know why, I'd be really interested in finding out.

Cheers,

Jonathan Paul Madrid Abaca

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Modules, Plug-Ins and Component

Post by conlippert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 pm

What happens when you try to install a component? Do you get an error message or does the component come back and say 'Installation failed'? You say you migrated an install? Where and how did you migrate? Are these totally new components? Or were they on the migrated install?

jonabaca
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jonabaca » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 am

This is how I migrated the site.

I downloaded the Joomla installation from webserver 1 via FTP. Then I uploaded it to webserver 2 via FTP.

Webserver 1 connects to database 1, so I exported the tables and the data from database 1. I loaded all the tables and the data into database 2.

The error message that I see is "Please enter a package directory" . I believe I didn't make a mistake and copy and pasting the file path of the module directory.

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by conlippert » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Did you check the installation on webserver2 before trying to install components and modules? By this, I mean did you go to the frontend of the new site and see all your articles and/or components and modules that came from the old site? Did everything look and FUNCTION normal?

I have never seen that error message. You also might look in the error logs to see if there are any other errors that might not have been sent to the user.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”