Problem with extension and template install

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
smog20
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem with extension and template install

Post by smog20 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I can't install anymore extension plugin or template. I get the following error message.

* JFolder::create: Could not create directory
* Warning! Failed to move file.
* JFile::read: Unable to open file: '/home/smog20/public_html/CISCO-EXAMENES.COM/tmp/rt_afterburner_j15.tgz'
* Unable to read archive

Warning: fopen(/home/smog20/public_html/CISCO-EXAMENES.COM/tmp/rt_afterburner_j15.tgz) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lazona/public_html/CISCO-EXAMENES.COM/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 239

I started after I migrate the site from a hosting to an other one.

Anye clue about this

Thanks already for your answers

Kind regards

Laurent

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Problem with extension and template install

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 pm

In your configuration.php file check that you have the correct absolute path to your tmp and logs folders. If you do not know the site's absolute path check your Host's FAQs or ask them.

smog20
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by smog20 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Yes I had the wrong path (old hosting)

Thanks a lot problem fixed

La_La
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by La_La » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 am

Hi All,

I use the manual procedure to install component to Joomla, and every time I receive this msg "Please enter a package directory". My absolute path is D:\Hosting\*******\html. How can I solve this?

Regards, Ola

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Which manual method are you using, by creating folders and tables or by uploading the install files to the tmp folder and pointing the Installer to the folder? The install files must include a .xml for Joomla to install with.

La_La
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by La_La » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi,

I had problem with installing Galleries. I found this information http://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-g ... em-solving and it solved my problem :) .

First when I tried to install component, I unzipped file and uploaded it using FTP but to component folder. It was my mistake?! :-[

If you will have time, can you explain how to install file using manual method (by uploading the install files to the tmp folder and pointing the Installer to the folder) :-[ . I will be forever grateful

Regards, Ola

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:44 am

First, unzip all of the files locally. Then transfer the files (using FTP) to the "tmp" folder in the root directory of your site. Then use the installer, but select "install from directory" indicating the correct folder name. The default path will be to your tmp folder if it has never been altered before.

If the tmp folder path is not there you can copy it from the Global Configuration settings under the Server tab, Server Settings/Path to Temp-Folder. If the files you extracted were in one folder upload the folder and add the folder name to the path.

The installer is looking for a file with a .xml extension, if it doesn't find one in the location you point to it will not be able to install.

La_La
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by La_La » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Thank you so very much for your time and effort :)

b-south
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by b-south » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 pm

A quick additional question coming months later. What if all the files are within a folder that was uploaded to the tmp folder, but still the reply is "Please enter a Package directory." I checked and the .xml file is within the uploaded folder. Is there something that I am missing?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Did you add the folder name to the path, the path needs to point to the folder that contains the .xml file. Did you use the tmp folder's absolute path, the url to the tmp folder will not work.

b-south
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by b-south » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Thank you for your reply. I did add the folder name to the end of the "tmp" path and that did contain the .xml file. I checked my configurations.php file to make sure it matched my global configurations file path and it did. I also uploaded another extension within a folder and .xml to see if I would get the same error and I did. lastly I called Godaddy to verify my tmp folder and they verified it was correct. Any suggestions?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 pm

The files are unzipped, the manual install will not work with a zip file?
You can not install the regular way by browsing to the zip installer?
Did you check your directory to see if Joomla can write to it? Under Help/System Info click on the Directory Permissions tab and make sure the tmp folder is writable. If it is not it could be you have an incorrect absolute path or the folder has the wrong permissions or ownership.

b-south
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by b-south » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Okay, per your instructions I did find the problem under the Help/System. Both "tmp" and "logs" are unwritable. I checked to make sure both files are writable within Godaddy's hosting File Manager Area and they were. Upon talking to Godaddy's tech support I was told that there is a higher level of permissions beyond their control and this permission is modified within the ftp that transferred the files. I used FileZilla to transfer the files, but I am unaware of any other permissions that are required. Is there any truth to this? The tech referred to the permission file as chmod. Is there another work-around? Thanks.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Upload this file, path.php, to your tmp folder and open it in your browser;
http://www.yoursite.com/tmp/path.php
it will give you the absolute path to your tmp folder.

Copy it and then go to your admin backend in the Global Configuration settings and paste it into the box for Path to Temp-Folder, it is under one of the tabs. Use the path to correct your logs path, just replace tmp with logs in the path, the logs path can be replaced in the Global Config settings too.
path.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

b-south
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by b-south » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 am

It is good to come across really intelligent problem solvers. Thank you for the assistance. Four thousand, two hundred and ninety four posts and counting...

Erg-Bsb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Erg-Bsb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 pm

dpacadmin wrote:Upload this file, path.php, to your tmp folder and open it in your browser;
http://www.yoursite.com/tmp/path.php
it will give you the absolute path to your tmp folder.

Copy it and then go to your admin backend in the Global Configuration settings and paste it into the box for Path to Temp-Folder, it is under one of the tabs. Use the path to correct your logs path, just replace tmp with logs in the path, the logs path can be replaced in the Global Config settings too.
Many thanx! Worked perfectly for me too!
Now I'm just wondering why these folders went unwritable and/or the path to them changed. May be a modification on my site's server?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 pm

It is possible your Host moved your site to a different server with different paths.

Erg-Bsb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Erg-Bsb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Wow! What a fast answer for such an old thread!

That's what I was thinking, as a few months ago I installed a plugin without problem and didn't make any other change to Joomla! since then.
Thank you again for that very usefull tool.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”