Directory permissions(755)unwritable after server change

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
GauravBR
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Directory permissions(755)unwritable after server change

Post by GauravBR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:05 am

I changed my server few days back and I've did my joomla server change following way

I created full public_html\ and all joomla files created in ZIP file.

I copied my database and wrote it to new database using PhpMyAdmin

- I copied zip file for public_html (joomla directories) to my new public_html and than Unzipped using file Manager in cPanel.

Site was working fine till now but I noticed an issue related to directories was Unwritable (all directories including Cache/ logs path too!) I made sure that directory permissions were okay or not, and to verify I changed all directory permissions to 755 and file permissions to 644 as mentioned on different post of this forum.

Even after doing same thing, I was not able to write anything on my website including extension installation, or changing few components like virtuemart (file was Unwritable) I finally made permissions on directory as 777 and all directories became writable.

I want to ask you guys about is that safe to do so or I am taking a big risk? previously my site was hacked and this is my new one.

Thanks for your attention

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Directory permissions(755)unwritable after server change

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:18 am

Yes, setting your directories to 777 is unsafe.

Ask your Host to check the ownership on your site files and directories and have them set them all to the same correct owner, they should know what the correct ownership is for their server. Might as well ask them to reset your files and directories permissions to 644 for files and 755 for directories.

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Directory permissions(755)unwritable after server change

Post by mojito » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 pm

can I ask if this is the same for 2.5.6 sites ?

If so everything that is a folder to be 755 and every single file to be 644.
What about the config file shouldn't this be hidden in some way ?

thanks

???
I am a freelance SEO (https://cambs.eu) web designer and developer working with Wordpress and Joomla since Mambo.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”