Migrating from Windows to Unix

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ayrehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Migrating from Windows to Unix

Post by ayrehead » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I have Joomla 1.5.26 running on a Windows server at a host. Databse uses MySQL. I am considering migrating to Unix at the same host, as part of a plan to eventually upgrade to the latest Joomla release.

Is migrating from Windows to Unix possible?

Will it result in problems or caveats?

What is the procedure for migrating to Unix?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating from Windows to Unix

Post by imanickam » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:22 pm

You could transfer your site developed in Joomla! to another host/location by the following ways.

(i) Use the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site. Also, you would have a back-up permanently.

(ii) Use the manual process. Review the document http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_ ... te_host%3F for more information.

Note:
In both the cases, you have to create a new database on the remote host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.

Even though the document talks about moving the site from a localhost to a remote host, it is equally good to move the site from one location to another location.

If you plan to use the extension Akeeba Backup make sure to download the extension that is compatible with Joomla! 1.5.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

ayrehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ayrehead » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Does that procedure change anything in the files or database?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:52 pm

You question is not clear - so, do not know how to answer the question. It would be better if you elaborate on your question.

Also, it is not clear whether you have read the document and understood it, or read the documentation of the extension.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

ayrehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ayrehead » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:11 pm

My question: Suppose I use the procedure you recommend. The procedure says to make a backup of the Joomla files and then put the backup to the remote host, then restore the backup there. In effect that copies the Joomla files to the remote host. I am asking, does the procedure *change* the files? Does the procedure *change* the database?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:50 pm

The procedure does not change the database.

The copy itself does not change the file(s). After copying some changes are needed to the configuration file. Suggest going through the document in its entirety.

ayrehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ayrehead » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 pm

The procedure is not going to help me. It does not change the files or database. The only thing it does is copy them from one location to another. So it does not have any effect on changing from Windows to Unix.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Have you tried the migration? Where did you run into problems? The files and database should be the same on both servers, the issue may be with IIS and .htaccess, try disabling SEF in your install on the Unix server and then look for any files in your site's root folder added to make SEF work on IIS.

You may need to update your site's configuration.php file, on the Unix server, with the new server's database connection details. You might also need your Host to reset the permissions and ownership on the Unix server, files 644 and folders 755 and all with the same owner.

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 am

I'm not clear on the problem.

I transfer sites from localhost ( w 8.1) to unix sites using Akeebabackup without the need to do anything apart from running Kickstart.php

Try it an report if you have any problems.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”