Removal of "description" meta tag.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
weevil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Removal of "description" meta tag.

Post by weevil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 am

I've spent a while searching on how to remove or change the meta description tag. Having the "Joomla - the dynamic portal engine and content management system" at the start of each pages meta description is detrimental to my SEO, regardless of the importance that Google etc. base on it (Google searches for the first 155 characters in description and adds it to 10% of a ranking score at present)

All of the other relevant keywords are after this sentence, which negates the point in having them there. I have no qualms in having this in there, but can i swap it around so the SEO relevant keywords are at the start and the legal stuff at the end?

RoscoHead
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Removal of "description" meta tag.

Post by RoscoHead » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:20 pm

You can put whatever you want in the meta tags by going to global configuration and entering the text in the site tab under metadata settings.

Hope this helps

ROSCO

weevil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by weevil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Here i am thinking that i have to go into some obscure php file and change it - sitting there right infront of me!

many thanks

Jobbby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jobbby » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:24 am

I dont know if this is allowed ;) but search for 2 files head.php and document.php .
in the folder library/joomla/document

regards!

hope it works!!!!!

Stam1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stam1 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi.
My global configurations are set with all the site description i want, and still the when i look for my website on Google, i get the "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system." as my site description and I am out of the search result for my relevant KW. (I have changed my site from HTML to Joomla)
I have no clue were to look for it any more i have tried to look for it every were but no result.

About the
head.php and document.php .in the folder library/joomla/document
I have found them both (the files) but i did not understand how they connected with this problem.

Any one has a suggestions?????

* could be that on the first day the site was cached the globals were not set, If this is the problem how long will it takes to Google to update?

Thanks.
Checked it, Its true.
Open source does matters.

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Fri May 09, 2008 9:03 pm

it takes some time for Google updates, you never know how long...
I hope for you it's going fast, but sometimes I've heard it could take weeks..

Mod Note:
Topic Moved From Joomla! - Development to Joomla! 1.5 - General Questions
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

Stam1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stam1 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:42 am

Hi

This post is for all the guys that tried and tried and tried and still did not find how to change the google site description.
I have changed my site from HTML to Joomla and then found out that Google changed all my site description from my site subject to "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system." and the name of my site was the name of my Joomla template.
So....
First the name of my site came from inside the HTML of my template in order to change it see extensions--> Template manager , Choose template and go in to edit HTML, Check that the H1 does not have an <alt> this was my first problem.

second. (and i think more important.
See in the configuration file line :
/* Meta Settings */
var $MetaDesc = 'Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system';
var $MetaKeys = 'joomla, Joomla';

Need to be changed.

I know, i know I am new and probably i wrote some nonsense here but if i got this problem some one ells probably has it too.
So here it is for all newbies ;)

Cheers.
Checked it, Its true.

deadzoners
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deadzoners » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:14 am

permit me to dig this topic up. In my configuration file, all metadata or keywords were changed to my website description, however, google still shows "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system" under my website name.

Anyone comes up with a solution to solve this?

Thanks.

Stam1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stam1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:58 am

Hi,

For Google snippet there is no solution, you will just need to wait till Google will cache your site again and update the site description (snippet).
It take a week or two depend on how often Google crawl your site.

Hope it will help

Cheers.
Checked it, Its true.

deadzoners
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deadzoners » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 am

Stam1, I think I modified the tag about 2,3 weeks ago, and now Google hasn't updated yet. WHen I check the stats, I don't see any googlebot coming to my site.

Why does that happen?

Stam1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stam1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 am

When I had this problem Google cached my site once every 1-2 weeks and this was the time that it took Google to update the snippets.
When was the last time Google cached your site?
When I had this problem I have asked many places and always the same answer, "wait!" it will come :)
Do you use webmaster tools of Google? do you submit your site map?
These things will make your site more welcoming for Google and might hurry stuff a bit. as your site map is updated and Google will see changes faster.

Cheers.

deadzoners
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deadzoners » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 pm

I did not remember when was the last time google cached my site. maybe zero :) as my site is rather new, only setup about 2 months ago.

Which webmaster tools of Google did you mention? and how to submit site map?

Please tutor me :)

mattnycssc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mattnycssc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Global configuration isn't an option on my control panel, nor is it under site...how do I get to it? :-[

Ze21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ze21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:37 am

I don't want to remove the tag I just want to change it. I've changed the description in global configuration and I've checked my configuration.php and it is showing the correct description. However when I then check my source code it still shows "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system". Anyone have any ideas?

I've used Joomla on another site and this wasn't a problem. As far as i know I haven't done anything differently.

rowdyred94
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rowdyred94 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Bump. My global description doesn't work, either. Keywords do.

No SEF, though I had tried it and found it too buggy. 1.5.12, 1.0 legacy mode. What else can I mention?

holyindus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by holyindus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Full and Final Solution:

Please check that in your search result you are getting "cached" in the description

eg...

My site
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system.
mysite.com/ - Cached

1: Make changes in Meta Description and Meta Keywords in the Global Configuration section of the administrator.

2 (a):: Send a request to google to remove "cached" message and description from its search result.
(b):: https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... s%2F&hl=en

click on the above link that is available for the webmasters for sending the request. To login you naturally need to have registered themselves either through goodle adsense or adwords.

Hope this solves your problem:

halfbloodprince
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by halfbloodprince » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 pm

my friends its easy to remove or change this line just login to you cpanel not the joomla admin panel or use your ftp account and locate file in file manager or you main joomla directory confifration.php file there and edit it in notepad or any php editting or text editor software locate line var $MetaDesc = 'Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system'; and change it with your site discription you want google will update it withen two or three days

halfbloodprince
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by halfbloodprince » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

to change your Global Configuration setting you need to provide chmod permissions to configration.php
to 644 or 777 first then you can change description or meta keywords after you have changed turn permissions to previous

ikramniaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ikramniaz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:19 am

Solved : There are two ways to solve this problem
1. In the Configration.Php Change var $MetaDesc ="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX What ever you like ";

2. Goto Administrator then Globel setting here Change Global Site Meta Description

rlockc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rlockc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:04 am

simply it doesnt work

Return to “Administration 1.5”