Database Error: Unable to connect to the database: Could not connect to MySQL

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Mr_Irish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Database Error: Unable to connect to the database: Could not

Post by Mr_Irish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I created the test.php file, ran it, and got the following two errors. Can anyone shed any light on their meaning?

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'http' (11004) in D:\hshome\model\staidanscathedral.ie\test.php on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in D:\hshome\model\staidanscathedral.ie\test.php on line 9

anything above this linebreak is BAD!

Edit: I have modified the test.php with the correct hostlocation and recieve no errors above the linebreak, however at the Database Configuration screen when I enter the correct hostlocation Im presented with the following screen!

dallas147
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dallas147 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:19 am

Hi all

Try going to your configuration.php file via FTP and make sure correct details are there.

var $host = 'localhost';
var $user = 'blahblah_me';
var $db = 'blahblah_joomla';

etc etc

molly_milne
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by molly_milne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:36 am

I realise this is an old thread, but since i followed some of the advice here it seems like the best place to post!

My site was recently hacked, and i'm trying to get it back up - they took out the config.php file and the whole admin folder. I have since uploaded a completely clean version of joomla 1.5.15 and overwritten the config.php file with all the appropriate info but, I'm getting this message now:

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

I ran this test.php file here (as suggested above): http://www.genialgenalguacil.com/test.php
and got this result:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'genial_molly'@'192.168.2.7' (using password: NO) in /home/genial/public_html/test.php on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/genial/public_html/test.php on line 9

But I'm not sure if this is telling me that the password is wrong. I had not written the database password down clearly (idiot!). If the password is wrong, is there any possible way to reset the mysql user password?

Any help much appreciated! ;)

megistus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by megistus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:34 pm

One Solution:

I ran across this problem when setting up my new Mac as a test host for my Joomla site. During installation I was getting a date error (the default time zone was not set on the php.ini file. After finally tracking down where apache was looking for the php.ini (there can be several locations depending upon what PHP version you are using) I found that the php.ini was actually not present and had to be built from php.ini.default file. Once I saved a copy as php.ini I immediately received this particular error. After realizing that this error was caused by the php.ini file (I deleted it and restarted the server, Joomla worked fine). After a quick search online I found that essentially the php.ini was looking in the wrong place for mysql.sock … the mysql.default_socket variable must be pointed to this file! Once I had that setting corrected, everything worked as it should.

I know this isn't the solution for all the particular issues, but I hope this helps!

MikeOppeneer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MikeOppeneer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

I have been creating a website for my client for the past 3 months or so and today was the first time that I encountered the

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

error message.

I refreshed the page and moments later the site loaded normally, as it has for the last 3 months.

We have been experiencing a random periodic temporary website issue where for a period of 3-10 minutes pages load unbearably slow or not at all. Like I can hit refresh all I want but the page does not load.

In the Safari status bar it says: "Contacting: macleansexeter.ca" while the page does not load.

Our website URL is http://macleansexeter.ca

We are on a GO Daddy shared hosting economy plan, with Joomla 1.5.15. running PHP 5.2.5 and MySQL v. 5.0.67.d7-ourdelta-log

Would our performance issue, where the site does not load and the server not respond be related to the MySQL database and this error message

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated here.

vicentedf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vicentedf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Tizzy wrote:haven't read all the above and don't know if it's been said allready but I spent quite some time searching for an answer, so for what it's worth:
I recently managed to fix this problem by editing the Joomla\configuration.php which had the password hardcoded into it. So changing my pw using only the phpMyAdmin interface closed my website down until I updated the config..php file

This is so stupid sollution that actually worked... i´ve been oflline for 2 days, changed DB, Config.php, creating tests codes... etc... nothing works so i decided to try out this one above... and it WORKS....lool

munishsethi777
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Issue with StarField Database resolved.

Post by munishsethi777 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:02 am

Even i was trying to connect, but got same error.
Actually its a problem of just and just configuration.
I Clicked on the servername at the top, in phpmyadmin and put that servername in the configuration(at the place of localhost) and it went working..

servername is like databsename.db.0000000.hostedresource.com

csx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by csx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm

MikeOppeneer wrote:I have been creating a website for my client for the past 3 months or so and today was the first time that I encountered the

error message.

I refreshed the page and moments later the site loaded normally, as it has for the last 3 months.

We have been experiencing a random periodic temporary website issue where for a period of 3-10 minutes pages load unbearably slow or not at all. Like I can hit refresh all I want but the page does not load.

In the Safari status bar it says: "Contacting: macleansexeter.ca" while the page does not load.

Our website URL is http://macleansexeter.ca

We are on a GO Daddy shared hosting economy plan, with Joomla 1.5.15. running PHP 5.2.5 and MySQL v. 5.0.67.d7-ourdelta-log

Would our performance issue, where the site does not load and the server not respond be related to the MySQL database and this error message

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated here.

could you fix the problem?? I've got the same problem with my site http://www.costasolsex.com
I had my site on another hosting provider and when changed to the new one with joomlapack it was working nice, but some users are getting the message:

When I got the same message, I tested the page with mozilla, opera, chrome and IE and doens't work and a few hours later it was working again, I contacted my hosting provider and they were not doing any maintenance also I testet other pages on the same server and their joomla sites were working at the time I was getting that message. And the strange thing is that at the same time some users are logged in and viewing the pages with no problems at all.

Thanks for any help or idea to fix this

kidcajes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kidcajes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:25 pm

This is what i did.
1. Open mysql admin. Then add new user. (don't forget your username and pw).
2. I add the new user to the current database used upon installation of joomla 1.5.
3. Checked 'ALL PRIVILEGES' for the newly added user.
3. Change CHMOD of configuration.php to 777. And edit:
var $user = 'new_user'; (change 'new_user' to the username you just created)
var $password = 'new_pw'; (change 'new_pw' into the password you used for the 'new_user')
4. Save (of course lolz)
5. Change back CHMOD of configuration.php to 644.
6. Check your site.

This steps works on my site. I hope this will help.
.::In this field of work nobody is an expert, we will always be a NEWBIE::.

csx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by csx » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm

kidcajes wrote:This is what i did.
1. Open mysql admin. Then add new user. (don't forget your username and pw).
2. I add the new user to the current database used upon installation of joomla 1.5.
3. Checked 'ALL PRIVILEGES' for the newly added user.
3. Change CHMOD of configuration.php to 777. And edit:
var $user = 'new_user'; (change 'new_user' to the username you just created)
var $password = 'new_pw'; (change 'new_pw' into the password you used for the 'new_user')
4. Save (of course lolz)
5. Change back CHMOD of configuration.php to 644.
6. Check your site.

This steps works on my site. I hope this will help.

Thanks for your help, I tried your idea but it doesn't work too

regards
mario

abbassirhan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by abbassirhan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi

I installed joomla and it was OK
I forget the password I had
so I uninstalled everything (joomla and AXAMP) ans installed everything from scratch
this time I get same problem

Unable to connect to database

the joomla is on my iMac

What could be the broplem?
could someone help me?
Thanks

pucheta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pucheta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 am

I have had this problem on a server. I think it's a problem of too much connections to the database. After many conexiones, the server does not respond to php mysql.

Temporarily i solve it by creating another user to connect this to the same base.

I create another user (with the same password, but could be another) and change in configuration file and voila!

Later, i was enter to the administrator and enable the cache to prevent the recurrence of the problem (if the problem was that).

I hope this help anyone :)

idemodalje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Database Error: Unable to connect to the database: Could

Post by idemodalje » Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi guys.

I have error

Code: Select all

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL 
BUT ONLY when I have more that 200 visitors on site.
Bellow that number, site works great.
Site is hosted at hostgator and they said its because limit of 25 connections to db is reached.

Is there any solution to fix this?

susan_mac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by susan_mac » Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm

I installed a joomla site on a domain.com server and finally realized that the hostname had to match the one in the control panel for my account.

After 3 long calls to help desk and hours of staring at the confg file, I finally figured it out from a post where someone mentioned that the database name might need to be more specific.

That got me looking at specificity on hostname too and it worked! "localhost" did not work. "mysqlXXXXXXXXXXXXint.domain.com" did!

Hint was that they have an interior hostname and an exterior hostname. Wish there tech dept could have helped but I probably was not asking the question correctly.

But it works!!!

porl66
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by porl66 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:33 am

Moving to a New Host

I had similar problems. This is how I resolved it:

- I copied all the Joomla files from my current host installation to my desktop via ftp.
- I also took an SQL dump of the database

- I then uploaded all the Joomla files to my new host via ftp and installed back to the root (public_html) of my new host.
- Via the CPanel I created a new Database Name
- I also created a User Name and Password, then checked all privileges.

Now...this last bit is what caught me out. Rather than create a new password for the old database I used the password from when I set up the original database. This seems to be IMPORTANT.

From here I went to the configuration.php file and made sure the db name and user name were as per the new set up (my host add a prefix to both the database name and user name - make sure you copy the whole string).

Hope this helps

JDub007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDub007 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 am

Here is my step-by-step process for migrating a Joomla site from one account to another.
It took all weekend for me to figure out. Good luck. Please send me any corrections you have.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=430&t=379971

edmaster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edmaster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi, first of all i'm new in joomla!, i created a website for my client which was my joomla! first attempt and had this error but it only lasted for about 5 minutes and was resolved with no effort from me and the website is working fine

I the decided to use the same version to remake my own website and it worked fine and when i was almost done i received these error on both the back end and the front end

I tried everything, adding new user then edit the configuration file, manually delete last installed pugins/modules e.t.c. After changing the user name and modifying the configuration i am only able to open 1 page and after that the error message returns. if i open the home page i will not be able to navigate to the next, if i open the admin page i wont be able to login. I've been reading many replies and none seem to be working

Somebody help me please
I've invested three sleepless weeks on this site so thanks in advance

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am

I have read several posts including this one and JDub007's to no avail. My guess is that there's something small but crucial I missed out. Here's the story maybe it'll be of use.

I had a Joomla site on a free host. Eventually I exceeded the free user allowance and had to go paid so I did. Same company runs the free and paid hosting that I was/am on. When I bought paid hosting I asked them to migrate my stuff which they did. However I get the "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database: Could not connect to MySQL" on my site now. I have asked the host about this and they've just said check the database name, username and password are correct in configuration.php

I have checked that they're correct. Tried connecting with a new database user. Tried changing "localhost" to "sql.myhostprovider.xxx". Created a new Joomla site in another directory on my site and that works fine with its database.

I am at loss about what to do. Any ideas will be a great help.

EDIT: I have just been able to make the trial Joomla site I created connect to the orginal database and pull up all the articles. I believe there to be a fault with the configuration file for the actual site. Comparing them now. But help is still appreciated.

JDub007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDub007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 am

ferret141:

I had to work through the same error on GoDaddy. My problem was that I assumed the database from the old account would be hosted at the same domain in the new account. But actually, GoDaddy uses many different domains for hosting databases. When setting $host in configuration.php, you should check the database file once it is "restored" to the new account for the full host name. Savvy?
--j

:pop

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 pm

These are definetely hosted on the same domain. I think it was some other settings in the config file because when I overwrote the old/main site config file with the new/test site config file the main site worked with it's original database data.

I compared the two configs line by line and there were some things missing from each. I tried adding and removing the missing bits but it still didn't work. So I have no clue why. I just hope the transplanted config file doesn't create any problems in the future.

JDub007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDub007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:33 pm

ferret141:
Could configuration.php's file permissions be incorrect on your web host?
Maybe when you copy the old file, it retains the original permissions (set up by Joomla), but when you make a new version from scratch, or possibly even a copy of the old one, it uses your web host's default permissions.

My working configuration.php file has permissions: 444
Owner: read (write permission optional if you want to edit the file on the server instead of editing it locally; makes it 644)
Group: read
Public: read

--j
Last edited by JDub007 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Both working config and broken config have permissions 0644.
I also copied the broken config to the test site and it didn't work.

I can upload both the working and broken configs somewhere if you want to have a look at them.

JDub007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDub007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 pm

I would try every password you have as $password: password for the old database, the new database, your hosting password. If it's easy, ask your host's support staff to confirm this password for you.

Also, I know I mentioned it, but you want to get the $host from INSIDE the NEW database file AFTER it has been restored to the new location.

That's all I really have for you as I'm somewhat of a newbie myself. Good luck! I'll check back to see what you come up with.
--j

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 pm

The identical host and password is being used to connect to the same database by both the working config from the test site and broken config from the main site. So in theory it should work for the broken config but somehow it doesn't.

babygarfiguer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by babygarfiguer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:56 pm

brad wrote:Have you spoken to your host about the correct access to the database server?
Joomla cannot connect to your database server, either dues to incorrect credentials of the server settings of your host preventing it.

There is no need to upload the files again etc etc, rather investigate why you cannot connect to the database server.
Im having the same problem. I tired everything above and no solution. How can I find out about my host ? Where can I find the configuration.php file ?

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:58 pm

The config can be found in the main directory where you uploaded Joomla to.

babygarfiguer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by babygarfiguer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:40 pm

ferret141 wrote:The config can be found in the main directory where you uploaded Joomla to.
What am I looking for ? and where ?

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 am

Do you know where the file configuration.php is located?

babygarfiguer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by babygarfiguer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I am still stuck on Step 4. I read just about everything on this page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ferret141
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferret141 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm

The details to log into your databse might be wrong. Go back to the previous page and check them over.

Return to “Administration 1.5”