SOLVED: Unable to Find Install Package

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: SOLVED: Unable to Find Install Package

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am

Ok, I've downloaded last versions of Agora, CC board and Ninja board.

No zip files inside the fist one, no file starting with com_ or plg_ and still the same error message...

Thi thing really puzzles me...

StAlphonzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by StAlphonzo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Mac2605: You nailed it. Your solution was the one that worked after trying all the others. Thank you!

dex
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by dex » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:15 am

thanks to the person who suggested it might be the PHP max file load size. It was!
If only the error message spelled this out, huh?
THANK YOU
Dex
Joomla implementor
http://www.spikesystems.com.au
http://www.joomla.org.au - Aussie Joomla user groups & events

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 am

dex wrote:thanks to the person who suggested it might be the PHP max file load size. It was!
If only the error message spelled this out, huh?
THANK YOU
I tried that too but no change...

anymore ideas guys? :'(

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:44 am

@Kotetsu52
Well I have just downloaded Agora Bot Plus.
It is named Agora_AuthorBotPlus_UNZIP.zip (the hint is UNZIP in the name!!)
Unzip this and you get three files
  • agora_user_profile_but.zip
  • plg_Agora_AuthorbotPlus.zip
  • readme_first.txt
(Again a major clue is to read the file called README FIRST)
Go to Extensions>Install/Uninstall in the Installer select BROWSE and browse to the location you extracted the files and click on the first file to select it and click Install
Then click on the second file and do the same - whilst the files dont both state they are plugins PLG if you read the README file you would know what to do.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 am

@Kotetsu52
The main Agora file Agora 3.0.05 is labelled com_agora_3.0.05.zip which is both labelled as a COM file and a ZIP file!! So where your original comment -
Kotetsu52 wrote:Ok, I've downloaded last versions of Agora, CC board and Ninja board.
No zip files inside the fist one, no file starting with com_ or plg_ and still the same error message...
states "no zip files or com_ or plg_ is totally false!

Please follow the instructions of the developer and ensure you are actually downloading the correct file that way you do not waste your own time or that of other people on these forums!

verticalgrain
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by verticalgrain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Thank you! This worked for me as well.

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 am

humvee wrote:@Kotetsu52
The main Agora file Agora 3.0.05 is labelled com_agora_3.0.05.zip which is both labelled as a COM file and a ZIP file!! So where your original comment -
Kotetsu52 wrote:Ok, I've downloaded last versions of Agora, CC board and Ninja board.
states "no zip files or com_ or plg_ is totally false!

Please follow the instructions of the developer and ensure you are actually downloading the correct file that way you do not waste your own time or that of other people on these forums!
Thank you humvee but I've carrefully searched and downloaded the very sam file you state... I've followed the instructions and I still can't go further.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous statement. I've read somewhere on this forum taht packagens name should start with "com_" or "plg_". I couldn't find any fil starting with these in any of the packages I ever downloaded.

then using the Install function of Joomla always give me the same message no matter the package I'm trying to install. NONE of them installed actually. As I previously said I could install manuall some templates but that's it.

I'm very sorry to waste your time but I thought such forums where the place to get help and advice... :-\

BTW:
humvee wrote:@Kotetsu52
Well I have just downloaded Agora Bot Plus.
It is named Agora_AuthorBotPlus_UNZIP.zip (the hint is UNZIP in the name!!)
Unzip this and you get three files
  • agora_user_profile_but.zip
  • plg_Agora_AuthorbotPlus.zip
  • readme_first.txt
(Again a major clue is to read the file called README FIRST)
Go to Extensions>Install/Uninstall in the Installer select BROWSE and browse to the location you extracted the files and click on the first file to select it and click Install
Then click on the second file and do the same - whilst the files dont both state they are plugins PLG if you read the README file you would know what to do.
I did the exact same thing, downloaded the Agora Bot Plus, unzipped (I got the hint some time ago ;) ) but guess what? Still "Unable to find install package" message...

So what now?

I've tried to make all the files in the sys info "writable" as suggested by another person here and it changed nothing.

Another one told me ti disable the php layer... I did but then I can't install anything. Makes sens though, how to upload things if ftp is disabled???

I asked my host to disable the php safe mode. This too didn't work.

I also tried to update my Joomla to a newer version but It changed nothing.

I fell like I'm running out of solution...

I installed Virtuemart manually because it was impossible to install it with the Install/Unistall function of Joomla but I couldn't find how to do the same with the other components available for Joomla because many of them simply DON'T offer any information about that. They simply says: "It's supposed to work with the auto install so go with it"... How helpful...

Thanks for your time anyway...

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 am

Kotetsu52 wrote: Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous statement. I've read somewhere on this forum taht packagens name should start with "com_" or "plg_". I couldn't find any fil starting with these in any of the packages I ever downloaded.
name procedures shouldfollow the com_ plg_ mod_ rules, but often dont.
eg today i downloaded com_agora_3.0.0.5.zip , plg_joomplu_v_1.5beta2.zip and Remository3526J.tar most templates dont have a tmp_ or tem_ prefix for some reason. makes e wonder what packages you use or where you get them from.
then using the Install function of Joomla always give me the same message no matter the package I'm trying to install. NONE of them installed actually. As I previously said I could install manuall some templates but that's it.
could it be server settings? or a corrupted file. I notice you havent posted anything about your currentserver settings or used the forum post tool .
I'm very sorry to waste your time but I thought such forums where the place to get help and advice... :-\
it is, but help us to help you.....
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:25 am

Kotetsu52 wrote:...then using the Install function of Joomla always give me the same message no matter the package I'm trying to install. NONE of them installed actually. As I previously said I could install manuall some templates but that's it.
Right, now we are getting much closer to the problem. Please run the http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=272481 and post the results as it could confirm my guess. Also post the URL value that shows on the Install page under the second Install option, Install from Folder.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:03 am

Thank you ilox.

I downloaded the tool, ran it and there is the result:

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.11 Production/Stable [ Vea ] 03-June-2009 03:30 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-55.ELsmp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) ( http://www.mywebsite.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.20 ( http://www.suruga-performance.com via TCP/IP )

Do you need any other information?

BTW, the tool is great! :)
Last edited by Kotetsu52 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 am

i think your first issue would be to update to the latest SECURE version of joomla 1.5.14 !

change your configuration to 644 then we can look at the read issues..
cn you post the extended version of the report, we need to know where your tmp values are in relation to your joomla instal
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am

mandville wrote:i think your first issue would be to update to the latest SECURE version of joomla 1.5.14 !

change your configuration to 644 then we can look at the read issues..
cn you post the extended version of the report, we need to know where your tmp values are in relation to your joomla instal
I tried toupdate to 1.5.14 on a clone of the website but it messed up with my store... All the thumbnails pictures disapeared and as I already have more than 1000 products it's a big pain in the neck to re-enter manually all the pictures (because of course there's no other way...)...

How can I update cleanly then?

Here's the extended diagnostic (I put the config file back to 644):

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.11 Production/Stable [ Vea ] 03-June-2009 03:30 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-55.ELsmp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) ( http://www.suruga-performance.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.20 ( http://www.suruga-performance.com via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 25M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: shell_exec, virtual, passthru, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_open, proc_terminate
MySQL Client: 4.1.20 ( latin1 )

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

Kotetsu52 wrote:I tried to update to 1.5.14 on a clone of the website but it messed up with my store... All the thumbnails pictures disappeared and as I already have more than 1000 products it's a big pain in the neck to re-enter manually all the pictures (because of course there's no other way...)...
Did you try to update with a full version or just the Patch from .11 up to .14

Can you please tell me what the Temp URL is that shows in your Global Configuration:
Site
__--> Global Configuration
______--> Server
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ***** Server Settings
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****___ Path to Temp-folder ??/??????/tmp
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 am

OK, I updated Joomla to the latest version an ran a diagnostic:

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 755 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-55.ELsmp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) ( www.suruga-performance.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
MySQL Version: 4.1.20 ( www.suruga-performance.com via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 25M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: shell_exec, virtual, passthru, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_open, proc_terminate
MySQL Client: 4.1.20 ( latin1 )

All my thumbnials pictures are gone as I previously said but I didn't expect this to work fine anyway...

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:00 am

ilox wrote:
Kotetsu52 wrote:I tried to update to 1.5.14 on a clone of the website but it messed up with my store... All the thumbnails pictures disappeared and as I already have more than 1000 products it's a big pain in the neck to re-enter manually all the pictures (because of course there's no other way...)...
Did you try to update with a full version or just the Patch from .11 up to .14

Can you please tell me what the Temp URL is that shows in your Global Configuration:
Site
__--> Global Configuration
______--> Server
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ***** Server Settings
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****___ Path to Temp-folder ??/??????/tmp
I used a patch not a full version.

here's the path to tmp folder:

www.suruga-performance.com/httpdocs/shop/tmp

Is it wrong?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:24 am

Kotetsu52 wrote: I used a patch not a full version.
http://www.suruga-performance.com/httpdocs/shop/tmp

Is it wrong?
if that is the path in your configuration file then yes! its wrong///

change it to something like this

Code: Select all

var $log_path = '/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/tmp';

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:54 am

mandville wrote:
Kotetsu52 wrote: I used a patch not a full version.
http://www.suruga-performance.com/httpdocs/shop/tmp

Is it wrong?
if that is the path in your configuration file then yes! its wrong///

change it to something like this

Code: Select all

var $log_path = '/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/tmp';
OK, i tried to change this the way you said... Doesn't work any better.

By the way the path for var in my config (untouched since I installed) is:
var $tmp_path = '/var/tmp';

I tried to change it in order it to look the same way as you mentionned above and still no success.

Looks like another busted solution...

What can possibliy be wrong??? I'm about to give up. :'(

I forgot to mention taht despite the update to 1.5.14, it's still impossible to edit the config file from the administrator console. The only way I have to do it is to open the file with notepad or Dreamweaver and upload the file again once modified. I was never able to modifiy this file from the admin console sinc the very first installation (I reinstalled from scratch at least 5 times though).

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

The problems revolves around the directory structure for your site. If your system is looking in the wrong place for the files then it cant install new software and it cant edit your config files.

Don't give up, I worked on the same problem for 6 weeks before the problem was cleared and I got my system back.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

anniejackson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by anniejackson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:22 am

worked for me, thank you!

*go into the configuration.php file and set

var $ftp_enable = '0';

don't forget to make sure your zip handling is turned on also

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:57 pm

ilox wrote:The problems revolves around the directory structure for your site. If your system is looking in the wrong place for the files then it cant install new software and it cant edit your config files.

Don't give up, I worked on the same problem for 6 weeks before the problem was cleared and I got my system back.
Thanks, sounds likely.

My Joomla files are installed in a sub folder like this (www.mywebsite.com/shop) not directly in the root folder. Is it bad to do it like this? Should I move it (and how to do this without messing with the links) back to the roo folder?

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:24 pm

I see no problems with putting them in a folder like that, and I can see a lot of good reasons for doing it that way. The problems come when the config file is looking in the wrong folders to find the files. That's what needs to be checked and verified that the software is looking at the right folder. From what I understand it should be looking to upload the files into the /tmp folder - in your case the /shop/tmp/ folder - and then it should be expecting to install them from there.
By the way the path for var in my config (untouched since I installed) is:
var $tmp_path = '/var/tmp';
That doesn't look right to me, maybe others with more knowledge can speak up but to me it should be pointing to where the folder is, and it isn't likely to be in /var/tmp. More likely to be somewhere like
/public_html/shop/tmp or something along those lines, but not "var" AFAIK.

What does your config say for the location of the "logs"?
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Well I tried that too. but pointing to te link including the subfolder (.../shop/tmp/)didn't change anything actually.

vazquezjm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vazquezjm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Problem Description:
I can not install extensions (tried both components and plugins).

Log/Error Message:
[quote]Warning: mb_strpos() [function.mb-strpos]: Offset not contained in string. in /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/filesystem/archive/zip.php on line 298[/quote]
[quote]Notice: Undefined offset: 10424 in /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/filesystem/archive/zip.php on line 307[/quote]
[quote]Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/joomla/tmp/install_4a9f5ed59b583/) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Is a directory in /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 298[/quote]

Actions Taken To Resolve:
I made all the changes described in this post to no avail:
CHMOD 777 tmp
Switch between /tmp & /var/www/joomla/tmp
Switch between /log & /var/www/joomla/log
Enabled/disabled FTP layer

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 775 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-8.el5 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) ( joomla.lnol.com.ar ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 128M | Max. Upload Size: 30M | Max. Post Size: 30M | Max. Input Time: 30 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: system,exec,passthru,shell_exec,proc_open,curl_exec_curl_multi_exec
MySQL Client: 5.0.51a ( latin1 )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:05 pm

vazquezjm wrote:.
please start a new topic dealing with your issue

vazquezjm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vazquezjm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 pm

mandville wrote:please start a new topic dealing with your issue
Sure, here it is

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 50&start=0

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:08 pm

anniejackson wrote:worked for me, thank you!

*go into the configuration.php file and set

var $ftp_enable = '0';

don't forget to make sure your zip handling is turned on also
Sounds completely nonsense but I tried it anyway. Well the initial message "Unable to Find Install Package" no longer appears on the screen, instead I have "JFolder::create: Could not create directory"

Any other ideas???

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:39 am

I finally went through the problem.

I actually don't understand how it happened because I simply rechanged the path to the tmp folder one more time and for some reason it worked this time...

I'm sorry I cannot explain how I did it though... :-\

photoman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by photoman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm

(Unable to Find Install Package)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

please help me, I used all the solution above and noway, still have the same problem,
i am using joomla 1.5.9 and uploaded it using WS_FTP 2007 & installed it normally , but if i wanna upload and install a plug in or module from the administrator area it keep giving me (Unable to Find Install Package)
i need help please

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:14 pm

photoman wrote: i am using joomla 1.5.9 and uploaded it using WS_FTP 2007 & installed it normally ,
i need help please
start by using the latest secure version of joomla.
then come back and start your own topic.
solved topics are just that- solved.

Return to “Administration 1.5”