Admin Menu Drop Down is not working

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
davidbarronau
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Admin Menu Drop Down is not working

Post by davidbarronau » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:24 am

My admin menu was working ..... then was not there. I can not remember going into the admin menu (module manager - administrator) settings.

I went thru all pre-mention ideas and solutions but to no avail. Thought I might try looking at the admin menu in module manager. //mysite.com/administrator/index.php?option=com_modules
The position of the admin menu was in the "left" position and did not show. changed back to "menu" position and it worked a treat.

I do not know if this may help others, but others suggestions on these boards have helped me heaps with other problems.

atgdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by atgdesign » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:53 pm

My media file was missing too, had installed a plugin, allvideos, prior to problem, not sure that is what it was, but replaced media folder, now works. Strange

trendymagic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trendymagic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks everyone! This was driving me nuts. My media folder was missing a file after moving the site and that fixed it for me.

Fhernd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Fhernd » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I wrote the access path in lowercase, and the solved problem...

tpolicy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Admin Menu not working (toolbar buttons)

Post by tpolicy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:24 pm

petelab wrote:
janoscharlipp wrote:The trick is, to write administrator small!
Not http://localhost/joomla/Administrator
But http://localhost/joomla/administrator
Holy uppercase, Batman!
Same problem here - with clean install, buttons work for awhile. Later they don't work. Reinstall, they work. WTF!

Then if I change to lowercase "a" .... the buttons work!

Then if I change to an uppercase "A" .... they don't work!

Then if I change to lowercase "a" .... the buttons work!

Then if I change to an uppercase "A" .... they don't work! ... and so on and so on...!

thanks janoscharlipp
janoscharlipp: I don't know what I would do without google. I found this post after being completely stumped for quite awhile and I was so stunned by the fix, that I had to register on this web site just so I could post a thank you. I had to quote Petelab's response as well because I think I must have felt like he/she did.

myidklm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by myidklm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks 4 all for describing this code..
The trick is, to write administrator small!
Not http://localhost/joomla/Administrator
But http://localhost/joomla/administrator

maddy2get
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maddy2get » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 am

There is very simple solution

Check out the file administrator/media/system/js/mootools.js .. it might get currepted.
You can re upload that file from any joomla and it will on the way.
Last edited by pe7er on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Manual signature has been removed.

b2bmike
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by b2bmike » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm

To reconfirm---> Uploading the folder: /Media/System fixed my issue

ZenVal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ZenVal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Very frustrating indeed, after following everyone's ideas here, I added the www in to the domain url and wha la, the menus started working...

Maybe that might help someone... ;)

domin8tor242011
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by domin8tor242011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks for this forum, a lot of solutions out there for all the different reasons.

The solution for me, which has already been mentioned, came from replacing the media/system folder after I must have accidentally deleted it off the server.

Once replaced from a standard joomla install - I had to change permissions and this fixed the problem for me.

My symptoms were admin menu wouldn't drop down, and as per an earlier image the right hand slides were constantly open - plus I couldn't click on any blue vertical menu items either.

Thanks for the solution!

nandodefaria
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nandodefaria » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes! The problem relies in the wrong address /Administrator instead of /administrator. The question is: Why does it load the entire aplication, if such file does not exist?....A person can get crazy because of a simple letter....

toejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by toejo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:18 am

I tried all other fixes like editing .php and .html files and their permissions, as well as the "A" to "a" in the address, no luck. Then I noticed, I didn't even have a media folder everyone was talking about. I copied it from the copy on my pc and it worked instantly. I must have accidentally deleted it or moved it.

Look for your media folder in the root directory, if it's not there you know what's up now.

Brian
Last edited by ooffick on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.

cyberspy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cyberspy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 am

this problem appeared when i used google ajax library plugin
may be settings problem..

when i disabled that plugin it worked fine again..

its got to do with mootools.js

Wayne Webb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Wayne Webb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 pm

I went this afternoon to log in to both the front and back end of my site for the first time in several weeks. A co-adminstrator had last evening edited an existing article. The article is fine with no errant code in it. The front end looks like it was designed back in the days of Internet 1.0 beta and I can not log in.

On the back end I can log in but when I get to the administrator page all the Joomla icons are missing (the block and the text only showing) and the menu does not work. If I edit an article the Save, Apply, etc. icons do not work. Article text is in HTML. My K2 modules appear to work correctly which gave me the necessary clue. It does not matter whether I am using Win IE or Firefox.

Digging around using Firebug Script I see, for back end, that the there were three errrors. I believe they trace back to the link portion of the PHP file in my browser window. The shortened code looks like this:

Code: Select all

<link href="/.+/esi/",/"/x65/.../administrator/templates/khepri/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/.+/esi\",\"\x65\.../administrator/modules/mod_k2_quickicons/tmpl/css/style.css" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css"> 
In other words the icon portion of the standard Khepri stylesheet is missing. The text missing is the "rel="stylesheet" portion of the CSS statement. Unfortunately I can not open the website browser from my Joomla backup to see what the full statement should be. Instead the index.php opens up in Dreamweaver.

A similar problem exists on the front end with the CSS statement being corrupted. You can view the site by clicking here, preferrably in Firefox and using Firebug. It would appear to not be an issue with permissions as I tried that.

Any thoughts on how to repair this? I would much prefer to not reload from my saved backup as that is slightly out of date. If a selective restore from saved backup would be best I would like to use that. Problem then is which files do I restore?

Thank you in advance.

newyorkdd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by newyorkdd » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 am

This happened to me as well. You must get to the Mootools Config and change the override system javascript back to no. I was able to get my menu to work on another machine and as soon as I disabled the mootools JS file to use as normal, my menu started working again.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Wayne Webb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Wayne Webb » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 pm

In my case it was the configuration.php file. Somehow the permissions for that file got changed to 644 which, mysteriously, allowed the browser to write to the file. After restoring the file and changing the permissions to 444 the problem disappeared.

aynamohol
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aynamohol » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:00 pm

If not working properly.. or disabled...

I have an idea to do it... Its very simple-

just change the name of menusssssssssss.js instead of menu.js ( location: administrator>templates>khepri>js>menu.js)

dont forgot to change index.php code for script of menu.js (its about line number is : 42)

<script type="text/javascript" src="templates/<?php echo  $this->template ?>/js/menusssssssssss.js"></script>
then, it will work properly... now just clean admin cache and "Purge Expired Cache" and then go back to the pavilion like before...

It will work properly................ just cheer :p
Samrat Khan, Web Developer(Freelancer)
http://www.samratkhan.com

akreation
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akreation » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:08 am

I added mootools.js to the media/system/js/ folder and the admin menus came back after upgrade. there was no mootols.js in the upgrade package???

alexmathew0705
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexmathew0705 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am

Thanx a ton guy's. I trust Google and Joomla forum to give me all the solutions and i found it right here,. I had the same problem and traced it to the "media" folder which was not there at all. I did an upload of the folder of the same version and all is well again.

blooodman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by blooodman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 am

Hi , i certainly found the error of this problem !

Just download the package and get MEDIA folder from new package
then upload to FTP overwrite if it exists .

Refresh then it will work :) this works for me perfectly!

gavjof
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gavjof » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Some good suggestions in this thread. They have been useful in checking up on my issue.

My problem was down to a line in my .htaccess file.

Redirect 301 /media http://www.mysite.com/images/stories
Somone had setup loads of redirect rules to point the traffic from search engines to the new locations. The problem here is that the old image folder was named "media". This caused joomla to look in the wrong location for the system directory. :o

klimahome
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by klimahome » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:16 pm

I reupload last version joomla core files and overwrited, now it works!

rsdebasis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rsdebasis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Admin Menu Drop Down is not working because of jquery conflict . put

<script>
jQuery.noConflict();
</script> in your template index file.
and also check plugins in your admin panel . make unpublish the plugins which one conflict.you will check one by one.

Mackenziago
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mackenziago » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 am

I had this problem while I was installing Zend Server with Xampp for the first time which meant I had to turn on IIS.

Not exactly the scientific method, but I figured out that in IIS manager the sites were configured as read only.Once I changed that my menus were working again.

drSmile
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drSmile » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:28 am

The problem happen bacouse of conflection of one or more plugins installed

to solve

Disable the last plugin or module that installed before the problem starts

if you cant from your administrator , go to phpmy admin and disable it

it will work

thanks

v-nay
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by v-nay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:11 am

I also had the same problem... The easiest fix for me was uploading the administrator and media directory in zipped format and extracting it on the server replacing the existing files. It worked like a charm. Here is what i did:

1. I downloaded the latest stable version Joommla 1.5.25
2. opened it with Winrar (dont extract)
3. Deleted everything except media and administrator folder and closed winrar
4. uploaded that zip file in my hosting cpanel
5. extracted that file on the server replacing the existing files
6. Done!!!

frogulike
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by frogulike » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 am

Hi everyone,
this happened to me and I was really panicking. I had just enabled 'System - Mootools Upgrade' in the plugins list, so I was pretty confident that this was the culprit, but I couldn't get into the blasted plugin list to disable it again!

Luckily I have a second Joomla website so logged into the admin of that, and navigated to the plugin bit under the extensions option in the top admin menu. That got me a url of http://www.MYSITENAME.org.uk/administra ... om_plugins

I pasted this into my defective Joomla admin, and it loaded quite happily to the list of plugins, just as if I'd selected this option from the menu. I disabled the Mootools plugin, and everything started working again.

I am now going off for a lie down!!

alexmathew0705
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexmathew0705 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Holy crap... after such a long time and breaking my neck in all the search and research i did.. i find such a simple answer.. Thanks much man.. i guess you may have undergone such a frenzy too while coming across the solution..

ElixirDesigns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ElixirDesigns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi I have the same problem here but noticed all the answers here are from 2008, its now 2013 and I can't find anything thats working. I am on 1.5 joomla there is now 2.5 joomlas available. Shall I just upgrade the lastest one in hope of solving this problem? It seems a rather complicated percedure which I dont want to do unless I have to. Also if I do will all my exentions used on the 1.5 still work all fine on a upgraged 2.5?

alexmathew0705
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexmathew0705 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

ElixirDesigns wrote:Hi I have the same problem here but noticed all the answers here are from 2008, its now 2013 and I can't find anything thats working. I am on 1.5 joomla there is now 2.5 joomlas available. Shall I just upgrade the lastest one in hope of solving this problem? It seems a rather complicated percedure which I dont want to do unless I have to. Also if I do will all my exentions used on the 1.5 still work all fine on a upgraged 2.5?
i had this problem when i shifted my domain to another server.. the cause which found from looking up the net was it could be the php version 5.3 and joomla 1.5 dont go together.. you could try these suggestions:
1) see if all the directories are writeable :D
2) install joomla fresh and plugins tht u were using and then finally import your old sql db and give it a try ;)
3) have a reinstall to a lower version of xampp 1.7.1/wamp or which ever u r working on.. basically php5.2 lower. :-[
4) best option... go fresh with joomla 2.5 as updating is possible now with it.. :'(

Return to “Administration 1.5”