Admin Menu Drop Down is not working

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jonnyshaw89
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Admin Menu Drop Down is not working

Post by jonnyshaw89 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:09 pm

glovelock i love you!
your solution works just change the location of the media folder and change that 1 line!!!!

stiffler120
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stiffler120 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:31 pm

I had the same problem, after transfering my site to a new server. The solution for me was this :

The problem is that the javascript.js and the mootools.js, are not loaded because they don't exist on the server, they were deleted during the transferring (even if the ftp said all files was transfered)
the solution for me was this :
Go to \media\system\ and check if it contains all the neceseary files. if not, then you have to upload them via ftp again.
After this everything worked properly for me.

stwillia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stwillia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks stiffler120! I pulled hair out trying to figure this one out. You saved me from going bald.

stiffler120
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stiffler120 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:32 pm

stwillia wrote:Thanks stiffler120! I pulled hair out trying to figure this one out. You saved me from going bald.
You welcome :)

rukoiatka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rukoiatka » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 pm

thanks Linda,

in Firefox I have cleared all Tools/Clear Private Data. Killed firefox just to make myself feel better :D

[removed] -9 firefox

started it over and the problem with admin menus gone. I was about to launch into file permissions and javascript files. Good I did not (my problem though might be different from the other guys').
vlad

still fighting with
http://www.PearlsAlone.com
http://www.DJplastic.com

a lot of sleepless nights, but also fun. kind of my playground for the time being ...

mandingueiro
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mandingueiro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Hi there. I'm having the same problem. I used RocketTheme's RocketLauncher to install Joomla 1.5.8 with their demo content and their template installed.

The admin buttons aren't working. I write it with a non-capital "a" in the url. I also tried the solution in the 2nd post (edited the application.php). I checked the permissions, they're ok. I also checked the media/system/ folder, everything's uploaded. I cleared my Firefox's cache and retried.

Any ideas? :(

danyel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by danyel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Joomla 1.5.9 Yesterday admin drop down menus stopped working. Right hand admin modules won't collapse. Sub menus (example, Global Configuration >System>Server) don't work.

I've tried the:

Copy /media folder to administrator folder and adjust applications.php
Clean FF cache
Went 777 permission crazy on tmp, js folders and files.
Shut down PC, tried it the next day

Affects FF and IE6

After doing all that above I tried it in Safari and had dropdown menus for about five minutes, then they stopped working.

With so many fixes working for others that makes me think no one really knows what causes this problem or how to definitively fix it. So my question is, is there some non-java script based menu or template I can use instead?

I just want to administer my website, I can source view and get most of the drop down URLs but submenu URLs don't show up so I'm screwed for trying to work any deeper than the first level on multi leveled menus

quiddity
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by quiddity » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:53 am

SOLVED

I have also having difficulties with the admin menu not working remotely. What i found out was that the firewall wasn't letting me load the .js
I tried loading the .js straight from the browser, but it was showing that the firewall was not letting me get to this file.

Fix the setting on the firewall and now everything works like a charm.

Hope this help!

Gadabout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gadabout » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 pm

For me the problem was simple...I had somehow accidently deleted my 'media' folder, and then, the menus didn't work...once I restored it (copied one over from another Joomla site I have) all the menus worked again.

m

kesepian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kesepian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Not a chance... Have a look:

somanweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by somanweb » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello All,

This is strange issue i am facing.

Some of the sites, this administrator menu disable issue is coming in FF3 and not in IE and Safari.

But some of sites are not working in all browser in my system and some of the sites working in all browser.

Same site is working in other system, in my system only i am facing in this issue.

is it any Virus in my system?

Your help would be help full much.
http://www.joomla-web-developer.com Joomla Web Developer, Joomla Web Development
http://www.joomla-web-designer.com Joomla Web Designer, Joomla Web Design

shibu
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by shibu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 am

Please scan your system by using Ad-AwareAE.exe anti virus software.
This is the good solution.
http://www.openkeytech.com/ - Joomla Extension Development

joshualee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joshualee » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:05 pm

janoscharlipp wrote:The trick is, to write administrator small!
Not http://localhost/joomla/Administrator
But http://localhost/joomla/administrator
Thank u so much. U are really the saviour as I m trying to find solution and figure this out for the last 2 days.

brq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brq » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 pm

stiffler120 wrote:I had the same problem, after transfering my site to a new server. The solution for me was this :

The problem is that the javascript.js and the mootools.js, are not loaded because they don't exist on the server, they were deleted during the transferring (even if the ftp said all files was transfered)
the solution for me was this :
Go to \media\system\ and check if it contains all the neceseary files. if not, then you have to upload them via ftp again.
After this everything worked properly for me.
My site work good for few months, and now I had the same problem.

Thanks to you I find out that I dont have anything in my media folder. I dont know why this files where deleted.

When I upload "system" folder and all subfiles and subdirectories everything worked properly.

Thank You

somanweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by somanweb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:39 am

shibu wrote:Please scan your system by using Ad-AwareAE.exe anti virus software.
This is the good solution.
Hi Shibu,

Thanks for your help.
Yes, i have installed and scan the whole system.
Now the problem is solved.

Others:
There is no other reason for this problem other than Virus.
Something like disabling the javascript issue.

Others also try this method.

Somanweb
http://www.joomla-web-developer.com Joomla Web Developer, Joomla Web Development
http://www.joomla-web-designer.com Joomla Web Designer, Joomla Web Design

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Ok, after reading through this thread, none of the solutions work for me. Here is where things get wierd...

/dev/media/system/js/mootools.js
If I try to access that file from a machine where the admin menus DONT work,
I get this
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /dev/media/system/js/mootools.js on this server.

However, when viewing that same address from a machine that does work, there are no issues.

Im completely stumped on this one. Viewing the source, the URLS are the same to mootools, but the above error explains it. Im curious if others having the same problem can reproduce this.

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Here is my solution to this problem.

find ./ -name .htaccess
./media/.htaccess
root@wolverine [/home/user15/www/dev]# cd media
root@wolverine [/home/user15/www/dev/media]# nano .htaccess
root@wolverine [/home/user15/www/dev/media]# rm .htaccess

This .htaccess file had a "deny from all" clause. After removing that, admin menus worked fine.

maurice_drews
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maurice_drews » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 am

I've tried all of the above. Yes administrator is with "a", I've tried different browsers and I've tried all the codes.

I cleared the cache and ... well it worked ! Great news, but then after 5 minutes it stopped again !! And I tried clearing the cache again and now that doesn't work either.

I've tried reloading all of Joomla a few times, with and without modules, with and without changes I made to my website from the original download from Joomla ... but nothing ! Except on my localhost which works fine. My antivirus is up to date and I seem to be virus free.

So I've drawn a blank.

Does anyone have any more suggestings or should I just give up with Joomla ? I've wasted about 10 hours on this already.

It seems like many people have had this frustrating problem, so it seems like it's a problem with Joomla. How can we get the people who wrote it to make a suggestion ?

Please help,

Mr. Very Frustrated

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am

The problem with this one is strange. I tried helping someone out, when I investigated his site, some how an extra line of javascript was loading. it was another type of "mootools/jquery" and this is what was screwing it up.
things to consider

make sure no .htaccess in media folder or in media/js
make sure you have proper permissions on media/js/mootools.js
when you acces your site, look at the javascript line loading mootools.js, try going to that address in your browser, it should load the JS in plain text, if you get an errror, you know where you need to look.

maurice_drews
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maurice_drews » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:26 am

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I have no .htaccess in the media folder. The only place I can find it is directly in the main folder outside of all the other folders.

What are the proper permissions ? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a beginner. I can remark out the bits of the code inside it that it suggests may cause interference, but that didn't work. Nevertheless I must have some rights to be able to do this.

How do I look at the loading mootools.js ?

Thank you for your help.

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 am

if your site is www.domainname.com
and your admin is /administrator
your mootools should be loading like this
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>

You then should be able to goto www.domainname.com/media/system/js/mootools.js in your browser and see what happens. If that file is NOT in that directory, thats your first problem.

maurice_drews
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maurice_drews » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Wow ! What a page !!

Its starts with:

//MooTools, My Object Oriented Javascript Tools. Copyright (c) 2006 Valerio Proietti, <http://mad4milk.net>, MIT Style License.
var MooTools={version:'1.11'};function $defined(obj){return(obj!=undefined);}

and goes on and on and on. I did a search on the page to see if there were any errors, but none came up.

Any ideas of where I should go from here ?

Thank you once again for your help.

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Use firefox, view your admin page, goto view, error console. Post a screenshot or copy/paste. Make sure to clear the stuff then refresh the page, or you'll have a ton of extra stuff NOT related to the admin page.

maurice_drews
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maurice_drews » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:24 pm

That's a nice trick !

I've taken a screen shot, but can't find a way to attach it. It says at the bottom of this forum that "You can post attachments in this forum", but it's not obvious. I could only find the link above to "Forum Post Assistant ", which wasn't very helpful.

So I'm afraid I'll have to copy and paste. Sorry if it gets a bit long:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Illegal operation on WrappedNative prototype object" nsresult: "0x8057000c (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_OP_ON_WN_PROTO)" location: "native frame :: <unknown filename> :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 0" data: no]
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Illegal operation on WrappedNative prototype object" nsresult: "0x8057000c (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_OP_ON_WN_PROTO)" location: "native frame :: <unknown filename> :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 0" data: no]
Error: window.addEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.celtasolutions.com/website_s ... s/index.js
Line: 26
Error: window.addEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.celtasolutions.com/website_s ... /index.php
Line: 23
Error: illegal character
Source File: http://www.celtasolutions.com/website_s ... ootools.js
Line: 89, Column: 97
Source Code:
his.trash.remove();}},initialize:function(list,options){this.setOptions(options);this.list=$(list
Error: illegal character
Source File: http://www.celtasolutions.com/website_s ... ootools.js
Line: 89, Column: 97
Source Code:
his.trash.remove();}},initialize:function(list,options){this.setOptions(options);this.list=$(list
Error: Permission denied to call method Location.toString

I don't really know what I should do next. Quite a lot of errors !

Thank you once again.

fffizzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fffizzz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 pm

if you want to pm me a user/pass Id be able to look at it a bit easier. The errors arnt pointing anything out at me, I dont see any arbitrary JS being executed (a case i saw yesterday helping someone with same problem)

nilitos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nilitos » Sun May 03, 2009 2:30 pm

I had the same symptoms with Joomla 1.5.7. Only it was on every browser and had nothing to do with caching, etc. or any of the other explanations offered above. After tracing through the admin source generated from index.php I found this line <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>, which referenced missing files. As a matter of fact, the entire substructure to /media was gone. I copied over the substructure from the install package and the menus all work properly again. The last thing I did was to install SOBI2, which worked great. I don't know if that contributed in any way to the problem. I don't know what blew the media folder away. But in the recesses of my mind I seem to recall this happened once before with an early 1.5 install. I hope this helps someone.

friendly12345
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by friendly12345 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:20 pm

The solution for this problem is much easier than you think. you just clear all the data that the browser cache the website. and then you open it again. and the Admin Menu Drop Down is work fine.
I think some thing that have make the browser to that error.
Yuan Chen
All For Coding
http://www.all4coding.com

lateefx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lateefx » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 am

Uploading the folder: /Media/System fixed my issue --- mootools.js was showing up as 0kb.

courtney86
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by courtney86 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey All,

I'm getting the same sort of problem. I am new to joomla but trying to use a user guide to help me along except now it is useless!! I was trying to create a new menu and now none of my menus work!
I just keep getting:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class JAdminSubMenu in /home/mentalga/public_html/administrator/modules/mod_submenu/mod_submenu.php on line 32

After reading this post I have tried using IE instead of FF and clearing cache in both and no luck.

please help!!! :(

alk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Someone should DELETE the post from glovelock which gives the misinformation about moving the media folder and editing the application.php, in case someone else finds it and wastes their time (as I did)

Return to “Administration 1.5”