Cannot add content or sections or categories another issue

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dolfrog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Cannot add content or sections or categories another issue

Post by dolfrog » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:23 am

I am a complete newbie when it comes to installing these types of program so i rely facilities such as Fantastico
I have looked at the previous thread about having problems creating new Sections and Categories but i have a different reason or set of reasons for not being able to add a new section or category.

When i click on the New BUTTON, I get an error page 406, which I gather has something to do with Mime Types, I I have no idea what a Mime type is but I gather that is what ERROR 406 is
the message on the page is
"An appropriate representation of the requested resource /mydomain/administrator/index.php could not be found on this server."
and
NOYB Server at mydomain.org Port 80

I have changed the domain name.

I have no idea how to change or add anything in MIME, or what i need to do to correct this

Reef
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Cannot add content or sections or categories another issue

Post by Reef » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 pm

Your host is using mod_security which is an intrusion detection module for Apache web servers. Depending on the ruleset they are using there is at least one of them preventing a function you are processing. They can tell for sure which one by accessing the modsec_audit.log and searching it for your domain. From past experience, it is most likely this rule causing the block:

Code: Select all

SecRule REQUEST_URI | REQUEST_BODY "xmlrpc"
The above rule does block changes made to the Global Configuration section.

Ask your host if they would be kind enough to disable this rule for you. If the will not then you can try this instead.

add this to your .htaccess file and save.

Code: Select all

<IfModule mod_security.c>
   SecFilterEngine Off
   SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>
This attempts to disable mod_security on your domain but will not work on all servers so be prepaired to remove this if it causes additional problems. It is also not good to disable mod_security protection because, it does an excellent job of stopping hackers in their tracks. Hopefully your host will work with you.

Return to “Administration 1.5”