articles not showing in category blog layout? 1.5.9

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

articles not showing in category blog layout? 1.5.9

Post by jackie7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 am

Hi - I think I must have violated some rule but I cannot get articles to display from category blog layout... they do display, however, in category list layout...
This happened with a category I edited (changed the name of) - I looked in the tables in phpadmin and don't see anything different or wrong with the id's...... any insight into this?
The category name appears, and altho there are several articles within the category, they don't show. I've played with all the parameters on this...

thanks for any help

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: articles not showing in category blog layout? 1.5.9

Post by normdouglas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 am

very odd... have you tried making another menu item with the same config, and see if that works?
Step1. Read the instructions. Step2. Refer to step 1. Step 3. Backup

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi and thank you so much for the comeback. I just made another menu item - still doesn't show the articles - I am looking now for the php program that actually displays them to see if I can put in some diagnostic displays and see what's going on - this is probably something stupid..... but taking hours to get solved... maybe there is something wrong with the articles...

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 pm

What you are trying to do, is a core feature used by millions of people everyday... so we know it works.

So let me get this straight... you have made a new menu item, and chosen Articles > Category Blog layout. Can you try to just make another menu item, pointing to another category and publish a couple of articles... maybe the existing articles have their catid mixed up.

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:29 pm

I know this is crazy. - I've made a new menu item, chosen articles/category blog... and it doesn't work... category listing does work... Category blog doesn't work for the other menu items either now that I'm testing around -
I'm sure they're published..... Is there any switch for this - I hate to reinstall the whole system but maybe just the category blog php files???

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:35 pm

I also just changed the template to see if it was that and the articles still do not appear. will be reviewing the parameter settings again...

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm

EGADS -
In the php files under com_components/views/category/tmpl the blog_item.php program had 0 bytes in it!!!!! Totally empty! I replaced it and it works. I cannot figure out why that program had been missing from my installation - but AT LEAST this works and please accept my very grateful thank you for troubleshooting help. Program can't work if it ain't even there...

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Wow... great work with the troubleshooting... and thanks for posting your answer.

dannygsam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dannygsam » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 am

I am getting the same issue in 1.5.6. I have set up category blog layout in menu options and I even tried replacing the blog_item.php file. No luck. Anyone can help me with this? :'(

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:19 am

You should update your version as your first point of troubleshooting. This might also replace any missing core files.

dannygsam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dannygsam » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 am

thanks Douglas.. I figured out. it was due to sh404SEF. when i disabled sh404 everything worked fine.. in blog layout.. is there any setting i need to take care on sh404sef to overcome this issue?

grsamson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by grsamson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 am

Hi, following on this thread, I am also having problem with Category List Layout -- hoping someone can advise...
I am using Joomla Version 1.5.14

While the article titles are being listed, the TEXT of my articles isn't appearing in the list. I have "For each feed item show: FULL TEXT' selected in the menu's settings, and all other settings seem correct. Any ideas why the text won't display? Text also doesn't display if I try using the Category Blog Layout.

Jackie7 above mentioned a file, com_components/views/category/tmpl the blog_item.php
A /com_components/ folder doesn't seem to exist on my server...? Should it?

Thanks,
Geoff

Ludvig73
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ludvig73 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:19 am

Hi,

I read this thread with interest as I experence the exact same problem.¨
I cannot either find the mentioned files on my server..
But I have solved to problem by replacing all the installation files to the server again.

Jan
Denmark

fabrizio86409
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fabrizio86409 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi, I'm a fairly new user. Following on this thread, I am also having problem with Category List Layout -- hoping someone can advise...
I am using Joomla Version 1.5.18 which I updated to from 15 using Update Manager.

My articles will show when I put on Front Page, but when I try to put them into a Category Blog and preview get a 404 error.

Jackie7 above mentioned a file, com_components/views/category/tmpl the blog_item.php
A /com_components/ folder doesn't seem to exist on my server...? Should it? And if it should how do I get it there.

frighlander
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by frighlander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Still no news on this? My testpage www.die-freilandkuehe.de/seite doesn't display any article in the Category List. (Check it under Band/CDs) I have checked all files, no 0kb file Problem.

I am using Version 1.5.20.

The othe odd thing is, that I tried to delete the numbers in Category List (and I have done this before) following the instructions in docs.joomla »Override:No Numbers in Category List« and nothing happened. They are still there. I tried altering the code in my template and took out the same code lines (in html/com_content/category/default_items.php), but nothing happened.

I am starting to suspect that there is some bug in the joomla-core. My Server supports automatic installation of Joomla through a Script-center. I've done this with over 20 Websites and I never had any problems.

Oh yeah and the third thing was an Installation-Error I encountered, when trying to install Simple Image Gallery Pro, but it worked with the free Version and thats good enough. Just strange, because I installed the same file on an other Website with hosted on the same server without any problems. Just mentioned it, in case it could have anything to do with the rest.

frighlander
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by frighlander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Found the solution on an other Forum. Maybe I was just stupid, but at least I wasn't the only one =).

Solution:
I entered the menu item in question and then under the Parameters (Components) I had to turn on the Category Title and also make it linkable. Initially this didn’t make any difference until I cleared my Cache and then all displayed correctly.

dotcomjungle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dotcomjungle » Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the category blog layout not showing up on a site using Joomla 1.5.23. When I first ran into this problem, we were using 1.5.22 but I tried updating to see if that would solve the problem. I checked the blog_item.php file in components/com_content/views/category/tmpl the blog_item.php and it was not empty. I uninstalled sh404sef to no avail. It seems I've tried all of the solutions in this thread, but still none of the category blog layouts are working.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

PushkarCMS
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PushkarCMS » Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for sharing. Had similar problem with one of my sites.

dotcomjungle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dotcomjungle » Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

We figured out what was causing this and I thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into the same issue down the road. We had two issues going on:

1. The JCE FullPage Plugin was turned on which was adding full html page code within the article editor.
2. In the CSS, the main content area was set to absolute so it wasn't expanding to fit the content within it. We changed it to relative and that solved our problems.

hersheys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hersheys » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, Ive recently updated to 1.6 and was having the same trouble with no articles showing up in blog layout.
Easily fixed after hours of trying other solutions.
Article Manager Options > Blog/Featured Layouts
I had # articles set to 0... doh

hope this helps :p

lip420
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lip420 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm

I am on 1.5.26 and upgrading on another folder to 2.5, yet I have this problem. My blog page is empty. No articles are showing. I thought it might be my template, but looks like other people are having this prob.

I followed these instructions, which are similar to other Joomla blog set up articles: http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=glNvU1jIdCQ

I don't have JCE or 404sef and I am not sure how to check the css for "absolute" any other ideas?

thanhthuy150288
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thanhthuy150288 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:33 am

I cannot either find the mentioned files on my server..
But I have solved to problem by replacing all the installation files to the server again.

Return to “Administration 1.5”