Joomla! v1.5 GoDaddy SMTP Email Settings

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jarodd1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla! v1.5 GoDaddy SMTP Email Settings

Post by jarodd1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Updated my settings as you posted, no error message this time. waiting to see if activation email is sent.

corptool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by corptool » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:41 pm

OK Jason, I think I spoke too soon. When I sent my last post, I had tried your hard-coded solution for the EMail a page to associate only in "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php". When I tried implementing his global variable solution, that broke the previously working Send Page function and now I get a view of my own Home Page with the error message "Your session has expired. Please log in again." in a red bar displayed on the page. Dropping back to the hard-coded solution in the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php" does not correct the error. :'(

I want to allow users that are not logged-in to send a page through the email a page function, and then I'd like to add a web form so viewers that are not logged in can send a web form to my own email account (for follow-up requests, etc). I also looked at the code in the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" but it looks nothing like your example code. It looks like it's looking for a logged-in person. I don't know if I've got some other option activated in my configuration and have it screwed up somehow?

I appreciate any pointers to set me back on the right course.

jwatts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jwatts » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:34 pm

corptool wrote:OK Jason, I think I spoke too soon. When I sent my last post, I had tried your hard-coded solution for the EMail a page to associate only in "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php". When I tried implementing his global variable solution, that broke the previously working Send Page function and now I get a view of my own Home Page with the error message "Your session has expired. Please log in again." in a red bar displayed on the page. Dropping back to the hard-coded solution in the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php" does not correct the error. :'(

I want to allow users that are not logged-in to send a page through the email a page function, and then I'd like to add a web form so viewers that are not logged in can send a web form to my own email account (for follow-up requests, etc). I also looked at the code in the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" but it looks nothing like your example code. It looks like it's looking for a logged-in person. I don't know if I've got some other option activated in my configuration and have it screwed up somehow?

I have couple of questions.
1) You mentioned 2 different things: the "EMail a page to associate" and the "Send Page". The first one I think you are talking about the little email icon that appears above an article (if it's turned on in the parameters). The second one I'm not sure what you mean.

The only two I've worked with and offered solutions for at this point is the "Email Link To A Friend", which is the icon one. And the second is the contact form which you can enable for a contact using the contact manager module that comes with Joomla!.

2) What I'm wondering is if you are talking about a third contact scenario?

3) Also you mentioned "his global variable solution". Is that in reference to the post where I talked about using "global $mainframe" and the "$mainframe->getCfg('')" function?

Also you mentioned that the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" looked nothing like yours. Allow me to elaborate.

In this file, there is a function called "submit()". In my file it starts on line 81:

Code: Select all

81:   function submit()
Two lines later, there is the $mainframe declaration:

83:   global $mainframe;
A few lines later the form values are retrieved and stored into variables. After that there is a bunch of different stuff: initializing plugins, validating input, handling handlers, etc. Then there is an if statement:

150:  if (!$pparams->get( 'custom_reply' ))
At this exact moment, I have no idea what that does. I haven't looked, but that's not the important part, because just inside the if is the following lines:

152:  $MailFrom 	= $mainframe->getCfg('mailfrom');
153:  $FromName 	= $mainframe->getCfg('fromname');
These two lines are the ones I mentioned in my post. They are lines 152 and 153 in my file. They get the settings from your "[Joomla! Install Directory]\configuration.php" file. These two values are edited in the Joomla! backend administration under Global Configuration->Server->Mail Settings. Then about 6 lines later the mail object is created:

159:  $mail = JFactory::getMailer();
Then three lines later, on 162, the sender of the mail object is set:

162:  $mail->setSender( array( $email, $name ) );
This is where I suggested making an edit. In order for me to get this form to work, I had to change this line to:

162:  $mail->setSender( array( $MailFrom, $FromName ) );
This way it looked like my website was sending the email rather than it looking like it was coming from whatever the person using the form put in.

jarodd1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jarodd1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Well.. I figured out my problem. I needed to change the CNAME record for smtp to point to relay-hosting.secureserver.com.. duh!

Thanks for all your help!

corptool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by corptool » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm

jwatts wrote:
corptool wrote:OK Jason, I think I spoke too soon. When I sent my last post, I had tried your hard-coded solution for the EMail a page to associate only in "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php". When I tried implementing his global variable solution, that broke the previously working Send Page function and now I get a view of my own Home Page with the error message "Your session has expired. Please log in again." in a red bar displayed on the page. Dropping back to the hard-coded solution in the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_mailto\controller.php" does not correct the error. :'(

I have couple of questions.
1) You mentioned 2 different things: the "EMail a page to associate" and the "Send Page". The first one I think you are talking about the little email icon that appears above an article (if it's turned on in the parameters). The second one I'm not sure what you mean.

The only two I've worked with and offered solutions for at this point is the "Email Link To A Friend", which is the icon one. And the second is the contact form which you can enable for a contact using the contact manager module that comes with Joomla!.

2) What I'm wondering is if you are talking about a third contact scenario?

3) Also you mentioned "his global variable solution". Is that in reference to the post where I talked about using "global $mainframe" and the "$mainframe->getCfg('')" function?

Also you mentioned that the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" looked nothing like yours. Allow me to elaborate.

In this file, there is a function called "submit()". In my file it starts on line 81:

81:   function submit()
Two lines later, there is the $mainframe declaration:

83:   global $mainframe;
A few lines later the form values are retrieved and stored into variables. After that there is a bunch of different stuff: initializing plugins, validating input, handling handlers, etc. Then there is an if statement:

150:  if (!$pparams->get( 'custom_reply' ))
At this exact moment, I have no idea what that does. I haven't looked, but that's not the important part, because just inside the if is the following lines:

152:  $MailFrom 	= $mainframe->getCfg('mailfrom');
153:  $FromName 	= $mainframe->getCfg('fromname');
These two lines are the ones I mentioned in my post. They are lines 152 and 153 in my file. They get the settings from your "[Joomla! Install Directory]\configuration.php" file. These two values are edited in the Joomla! backend administration under Global Configuration->Server->Mail Settings. Then about 6 lines later the mail object is created:

159:  $mail = JFactory::getMailer();
Then three lines later, on 162, the sender of the mail object is set:

162:  $mail->setSender( array( $email, $name ) );
This is where I suggested making an edit. In order for me to get this form to work, I had to change this line to:

162:  $mail->setSender( array( $MailFrom, $FromName ) );
This way it looked like my website was sending the email rather than it looking like it was coming from whatever the person using the form put in.
Jason,
I'm sorry for my slow response, but I was away on business.
From your question 1. I meant "Email Link to a Friend" (my mistake - not a different or third function) - the email icon solution is what I began to sort out and got roadblocked. Once I solve that, I'll move on to the included web form (although they may be linked). I searched for the code you replied with in the the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" and still have not been able to find it. I've loaded a template, so I'm not certain if it changed that file. I'll recheck my steps to make certain I'm looking at the correct file.

jwatts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jwatts » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:24 pm

corptool wrote:I searched for the code you replied with in the the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" and still have not been able to find it. I've loaded a template, so I'm not certain if it changed that file. I'll recheck my steps to make certain I'm looking at the correct file.
I found 23 "controller.php" files:
  • (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_config\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_content\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_installer\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_media\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_menus\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_modules\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_plugins\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_poll\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_search\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_templates\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_users\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_weblinks\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_banners\controller.php
    *(Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_contact\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_content\controller.php
    *(Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_mailto\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_media\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_newsfeeds\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_poll\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_search\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_user\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_weblinks\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\libraries\joomla\application\component\controller.php
The starred ones are the two that I've edited and included support on in this thread. And again, this is Joomla! v1.5.15.

corptool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by corptool » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:12 am

jwatts wrote:
corptool wrote:I searched for the code you replied with in the the "[Joomla! Install Directory]\components\com_contact\controller.php" and still have not been able to find it. I've loaded a template, so I'm not certain if it changed that file. I'll recheck my steps to make certain I'm looking at the correct file.
I found 23 "controller.php" files:
  • (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_config\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_content\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_installer\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_media\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_menus\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_modules\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_plugins\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_poll\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_search\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_templates\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_users\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\administrator\components\com_weblinks\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_banners\controller.php
    *(Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_contact\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_content\controller.php
    *(Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_mailto\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_media\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_newsfeeds\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_poll\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_search\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_user\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\components\com_weblinks\controller.php
    (Joomla! Install Directory)\libraries\joomla\application\component\controller.php
The starred ones are the two that I've edited and included support on in this thread. And again, this is Joomla! v1.5.15.
Thanks, I've got some work to do. If I can figure it out, I'll post here. I appreciate your help.

zaman07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zaman07 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:02 pm

PHPMAILER_FROM_FAILED is showing for TDL servers like yahoo hotmail etc. and i tried all the process described.. but the same result...

deejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deejo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 pm

@zaman07 - Here is what I did to hack it to work.

I edited /libraries/joomla/utilities/utility.php sendMail() and sendAdminEmail() functions to set the Sender Email and name as hard coded strings.

in sendMail():
$mail->setSender(array("[email protected]", "My Domain - Admin"));

in sendAdminEmail():
$message = sprintf ("[email protected]","My Domain - Admin", $type, $title, $author, $url, $url, 'administrator', $type);

deejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deejo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Actually One Step Better

Use the global config to fill in the details.
These values come from the "Mail from" and "From Name" under server settings for email.

i.e. $conf->getValue('config.mailfrom') and $conf->getValue('config.fromname');

So for sendAdminEmail:

function sendAdminMail( $adminName, $adminEmail, $email, $type, $title, $author, $url = null )
	{
		$subject = JText::_( 'User Submitted' ) ." '". $type ."'";

$conf = JFactory::getConfig();
    $mailfrom2 	=  $conf->getValue('config.mailfrom');
	  $fromname2 	=  $conf->getValue('config.fromname');

$message = sprintf ($mailfrom2, $fromname2 , $type, $title, $author, $url, $url, 'administrator', $type);
		$message .= JText::_( 'MAIL_MSG') ."\n";

// Get a JMail instance
		$mail =& JFactory::getMailer();
		$mail->addRecipient($adminEmail);
		$mail->setSubject($subject);
		$mail->setBody($message);

return  $mail->Send();
	}
and sendMail()

function sendMail($from, $fromname, $recipient, $subject, $body, $mode=0, $cc=null, $bcc=null, $attachment=null, $replyto=null, $replytoname=null )
	{                                                               
		$conf = JFactory::getConfig();
    $mailfrom2 	=  $conf->getValue('config.mailfrom');
	  $fromname2 	=  $conf->getValue('config.fromname');

// Get a JMail instance
		$mail =& JFactory::getMailer();

$mail->setSender(array($mailfrom2, $fromname2));
		$mail->setSubject($subject);
		$mail->setBody($body);

// Are we sending the email as HTML?
		if ( $mode ) {
			$mail->IsHTML(true);
		}

$mail->addRecipient($recipient);
		$mail->addCC($cc);
		$mail->addBCC($bcc);
		$mail->addAttachment($attachment);

// Take care of reply email addresses
		if( is_array( $replyto ) ) {
			$numReplyTo = count($replyto);
			for ( $i=0; $i < $numReplyTo; $i++){
				$mail->addReplyTo( array($replyto[$i], $replytoname[$i]) );
			}
		} elseif( isset( $replyto ) ) {
			$mail->addReplyTo( array( $replyto, $replytoname ) );
		}

return  $mail->Send();
	}

tsabal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tsabal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 am

I tried the steps above but still get the error for the TDL servers. Am I missing something?

deejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deejo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 am

Whats the error you are getting tsabal?

ashleycreighton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ashleycreighton » Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Deejo - I've been going NUTS over this for days now, and nothing's working for me! (I'm convinced it's what put the "G.D." into GoDaddy...)

I got the contact to form to work for me, by following the advice of earlier posts in this thread, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to accept mail from my website when the sender has a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account.

I tried both of your hacks, but no luck. Is it working for you currently?

Maybe you can clarify what global settings you used in addition to your hack?

Also, did you revise the controller.php files (per previous posts) AND update the utility.php? Or just the utility.php?

(I don't see how this could be the issue, but I am using the Alfcontact component... it's still utilizing joomla's standard contact form though, so I don't think it's the problem here...)

Thank you SO much for any help you can offer. If I can't resolve this than I'll have to find a new web host.
www.ashleycreighton.com

Heartfelt pop music to make you feel better about being depressed.

jwatts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jwatts » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 pm

ashleycreighton wrote:...but I can't for the life of me figure out how to accept mail from my website when the sender has a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do, but based on my understanding and research GoDaddy WILL NOT let you use other domains for the SENDER of emails from your site. You'd have to create some kind of email address like "[email protected]" and use that for the SENDER, then maybe take the email address that the user put into the form and use it in the subject line of the email you're sending or something.

It's supposed to prevent spammers from using your contact form as their own little spam-app, because they could send emails to anybody and make it look it came from anywhere.

ashleycreighton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ashleycreighton » Tue May 18, 2010 3:24 am

Thanks for your reply Jwatts.

As I understand it, to acheive what you're suggesting (make it appear as though the email is being sent from a godaddy account), the following change needs to be made to the com_contact/controller.php file (per your previous post):
On line 162, it sets the sender:

$mail->setSender( array( $email, $name ) );
I changed that line to this:

$mail->setSender( array( $MailFrom, $FromName ) );
Am I understanding this correctly?

I tried making the above change though, and the messages still won't go through. On my website, the "thank you for sending your message" follow-up screen still comes up, but the message itself never hits my mailbox.

(again, when I fill out the form using my own domain email address, it works fine, just trouble with any other email address.)
www.ashleycreighton.com

Heartfelt pop music to make you feel better about being depressed.

Kyliefun
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kyliefun » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I have good news for you! I hope the Joomla bug people are reading this too as there is more info here to help them fix the problem.

There is a possibly a bug in the controller and maybe other places, due to the new Global Configuration Server option of SMTP Security option.

For those of us using Joomla! 1.5.15 and later there is a work around. SMTP settings with no authentication and anything other than localhost for the SMTP host will not work, that is only local host will work. You can also use the Sendmail or PHP Mail Function with the default Sendmail Path (/usr/sbin/sendmail) and SMTP Host as localhost. This worked without changing anything in the controller file. This is of course dependant on your host provider providing their own SMTP servers (I am with Rochen, who do).

This issue seems to be around the new setting SMTP Security. In my case I am using an MS Exchange server (2007) and when the exchange account details were entered (as in previous versions of Joomla) it didn't send any emails at all, no matter what SMTP Security setting was used. The Exchange server I am trying to use only has a Self-signed Certificate, so SSL and/or TLS don't seem to work. Setting SMTP Security to none doesn't work either, but I think that's by design on Exchange 2007, for security's sake. So certificates change how your settings need to be.

The Web Hosting account name server records (SOA) need to be set to your own dns provider.

I hope this helps you!

Kyliefun
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kyliefun » Thu May 27, 2010 2:43 pm

removed because messge duplicated

lauri00001
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lauri00001 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:29 am

Thank you, Jason! You are truely a gem. My email worked using the small change you suggest to the controller.php file.

whw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whw » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 am

paulm21 wrote:I have the forms working as well using a third party form; the default Joomla form did not have captcha functions. I found Aicontactsafe in the Joomla extensions area, it was rated well and free.

http://www.algisinfo.com/joomla/aicontactsafe.html Note: Its not module or plugin its a Component so look for it there once installed.

One feature i really like is the message retention area. Yup when someone completes your form the info goes to a message area on your Joomla server as well as sending it to the designated godaddy email address.. So, If Godaddy decided to eat an email or two you can still find it on the server. Yes it captures failed form send attempts. very cool.

In order to make Aicontactsafe work I had to mod one php file as follows:

Path. /components/com_aicontactsafe/models/message.php

original

$isOK = JUtility::sendMail($from, $fromname, $email_recipient, $subject, $body, $mode, $cc, $bcc, $file_attachments, $replyto, $replytoname);
modified

$isOK = JUtility::sendMail("[email protected]", $fromname, $email_recipient, $subject, $body, $mode, $cc, $bcc, $file_attachments, $replyto, $replytoname);
Side Note: The above mention mods were the only ones necessary on my server because I chose the Third party route. There for Jwatts mods regarding default Joomla forms were not necessary for me and thus have not tried them.

As previously stated these mods are necessary because Godaddy is hosting my server and is very picky about relaying.
I'm using the same component on a Godaddy hosted Joomla site. I applied your modification, but this didn't solve the problem for me. What versions of Joomla and aiContactSafe are you using?

jwatts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jwatts » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm

lauri00001 wrote:Thank you, Jason! You are truely a gem. My email worked using the small change you suggest to the controller.php file.
No problem! I'm glad I posted all this stuff here too, actually. I'm starting another website using Joomla! this week, and this is the only place I wrote down all these mods. Although there are a couple of others that I wish I had put in here too :|

mkhpd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mkhpd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

I too had similar problems with a GoDaddy account and getting the Contact Us mail form working. A mix of the various solutions is what has worked for me. The settings that are working on my site are;

Mailer: PHP Mail Function
Mail from: [email protected]
From Name: My name
Sendmail path: /usr/sbin/sendmail
SMTP Authentication: No
SMTP Security: None
SMTP Port: 25
SMTP Username: [blank]
SMTP Password: [blank]
SMTP Host: localhost

The Joomla! version is 1.5.22 Stable.

The major frustration in testing the settings were that rather than micro seconds for the email to get out, it took closer to 5- 10 minutes.
I confess I was surprised that the STMP host, localhost, actually worked.

The Joomla site was manually installed from another (Godaddy) account using Akeeba and it wasn't tested on the previous domain.

Return to “Administration 1.5”