Editing Front Page Text

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
shmoehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Editing Front Page Text

Post by shmoehead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I use firefly to see where to make changes to my site... www.middletownsdchurch.com

I find it to be great for showing me where to change things in the css files...I want to add or change the text on my front page in the header part...When I use the element to show in the html file what to change, it works great...Now, I know it only changes the view I get....So, where is the file "for real" so I can make the changes necessary???

Using filezilla, I have drilled down into the template and I have looked at index.php and the actual text is not there, and the other html files do not contain the text either.......anyone know where to find this html file so I can add to it/edit it?.....I just want to change the text...

Thanks.........

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Editing Front Page Text

Post by beanluc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Inside Joomla's Admin panel,
Use the Extensions menu
Template Manager
Select your active template, choose Edit
choose Edit HTML
it's not a HTML file, it's a PHP file, and it's actually the index.php in your /templates/TEMPLATENAME folder.

But:
Some of the text you're trying to edit probably isn't actually in the template file. It comes from Joomla's database somewhere.

So, chances are that editing the template won't help, unless you really want to replace Joomla functional code with hardcoded text.

You might say more here about what the text is and where it is (Firebug details - say something like "Text 'this thing's title' is in a DIV whose class is componentheading"), if we have a better idea of what you're trying to change, we might help you do it the right way inside Joomla instead of in PHP files.

shmoehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shmoehead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Good point beanluc...Inside of <div id=header_bg> there is the following anchor:

<a href="/index.php> then the text I want to edit </a>
then the </div> closes.......

Make anymore sense?

Oh and, thanks for the quick reply...

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:26 am

shmoehead wrote:Inside of <div id=header_bg> there is the following anchor:

<a href="/index.php> then the text I want to edit </a>
Is that what you see in the Extensions -> Templates -> YourTemplate -> Edit HTML?
Or is that what you see in your browser View -> View Source?

I just would be surprised if a template had hardcoded text like that. But if it really is hardcoded in the template, then go ahead and edit it right there, it's your only option.

On the other hand, if all you're doing is viewing webpage source and seeing what you described, then you're no closer to knowing how to edit and change the text.

My guess is that the text is actually the "website name", which can be edited in Gobal Configuration in the Control Panel in the Administrator side of Joomla. Again, I would be surprised if the text is actually in a file somewhere. But, who knows - I don't know whether your template came from a Joomla professional or from some amateur.

shmoehead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shmoehead » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks beanluc.....

yep, it is the site name, sorry I should have mentioned that......if I edit that html file, wherever it is for real I am still looking, while in Firebug, I can put <br> breaks so I can add address information and so on.....

I will continue to work with this.....I thank you for your time and comments....

Return to “Administration 1.5”