top menu in administrator section problem

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

top menu in administrator section problem

Post by LadyGuen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 pm

I help administer two webpages which are somewhatly tied together. On the one my menu buttons work after I'm logged into the administrator section.. these are the ones which run across the top and are listed as "Site""Menus" "Content" etc. When I mouse over them, I get the drop down list with no problems. On the other website those particular menu buttons in the admin section do nothing. I can't click them, they don't drop down etc. I've checked as best I can at this point in the global configuration area to see if something had been changed by one of the other administrators but it does not appear to be so. I am a super administrator on both webpages. I have no idea what could be causing the issue but it is making it impossible to do any kind of editing work or to check on certain things on that page. I've also tried opening the administrator section in a different browser to no avail. I have also tried to login with a different computer to see if it has something to do with mine but also to no avail. The rest of the page appears to be working perfectly with no problems it is just those mouse over drop down menus. Any suggestions, information, or ideas would be extremely helpful as this is extremely annoying.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: top menu in administrator section problem

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 am

Check if you have NoScript blocking the second site. if NoScripts blocks it you can't access the drop down menus, which probably rely on javascript. This happened to me just for a minute ago, when I changed browser that NoScript was enabled to block all sites.

LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LadyGuen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but I was unable to find anything like that being wrong. I'm using the exact same browser for both of them at the same time. I run on Google Chrome and have done so for quite a while including the last time I went into that site to do some work. I had no problem them and have no problems with the one site. Same when I loaded it on IE ... one site works fine, the other the drop downs in the admin section won't do anything. I've checked to see if that site is somehow blocked and haven't found anything for it. I've also checked it in firefox. All three browsers do the same thing with is allow the drop downs on the one site but not the other. I've checked it also on 3 different machines including my main which I'm on now and do the majority of the webwork on as well as my laptop which I have also worked on both sites with. Same issue

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 pm

You could look at the source code of the page Ctrl + U in Firefox and compare the page with normal functioning menu to try to find out the difference. You could maybe also install Firebug in firefox and check the menu with it.

LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LadyGuen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Slackervaara for the suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. I've looked at the source code as best I can just now in chrome... for the most part as best I can tell it looks alright. I've compared the two and the coding looks the same ... the two pages aren't identical but I checked each line of code to see if there was something which got missed somehow. It does not appear to have anything glaringly out of place that I can tell at least. I just don't understand it simply because as best I can tell no one has logged into the admin section since I was last there to add an article to it which is all I did.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 pm

You could try MD5 Comparison Tool to check if any files are missing or changed in your Joomla. It is just to upload two files in your webspace and then rund one script in browser. Takes 5 minutes.

http://www.jm-experts.com/extensions-to ... hash-check

LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LadyGuen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I've gone into the view elements for both pages on the same page. Under the console section of that there are a few errors showing in the menu.js part. I've checked that against the working page and can not see what is wrong (if anything) with it. The error which has shown up is listed as "Uncaught ReferenceError: Class is not defined." There are a few such errors showing up in that section for the menu.js, the modal.js, there is also "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ) in the mootools.js, Uncaught TypeError: Object [object global] has no method 'addEvent'" in the index.js I have zero idea what these mean nor do I have any idea how to fix it. I've checked the menu.js against the working page and have seen nothing different. I didn't check the rest of them mostly cause I'm going cross-eyed at the moment reading code. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and where/how I can fix it would be greatly appreciated.

LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LadyGuen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I've downloaded that file but to be honest am not sure how to upload it to the root directory. Sorry to be such a pain but if you could walk me through the steps it would be appreciated

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 pm

You have to use a ftp-program like FileZilla.
https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
With that program you upload the two files.
Then you run Joomlacheck.php from browser.

LadyGuen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LadyGuen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 pm

ah okay thanks... I wound up getting ahold of one of the joomla expert guys and apparently some of the files are corrupted so am going to see what I can do to fix it since I wasn't the one who originally set up the site lol I really appreciate your help Slackervaara it has helped

Return to “Administration 1.5”