HELP - Got attacked with 10,000 spam comments per day!!

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sinisa10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

HELP - Got attacked with 10,000 spam comments per day!!

Post by sinisa10 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Hello everybody, I really need your help :(

I run a website with a bunch of pages and in the last week I've been getting about 10,000 spam comments per day, on every single one of my articles. What add-on can I install to block these spam comments? I had installed in the past something call R Antismap but that makes the website pages upload sooooo slow, sometimes not even uploading.

On my website, the Comment section has spaces for Name, Email, and Comment. The spammers use scripts that most of the times use the same Name and Email address. Comments are always different. Is there a place in my Joomla version (1.5.23) where I can ban a Name or an Email address for being placed and submitted along with the comment?

Thank you!!

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: HELP - Got attacked with 10,000 spam comments per day!!

Post by xfsgpr » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Have you got captcha enabled on your site? If nt then try to enable it for a week or so if it makes any improvement. Also, you should consider turning off comments on posts that are older than 2 days. This way you don't get spam on older posts.

I don't have comments facilities on my site so I have no other viable solution for Joomla.

what sort of people are visiting your site daily? Surely, you should consider this as a benefit because to get 10,000 people a day is considered the best. Try to monetize their visits; the more they come the better for the bank balance :).

sinisa10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: HELP - Got attacked with 10,000 spam comments per day!!

Post by sinisa10 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks xfsgpr! No, I don't have captcha - so thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunatelty, the 10,000 spam comments are made through scripts, not through literal visits to the pages... so the huge number doesn't register on the analytics...

Answering your question, my website is a fraud prevention one, called Scam Detector. We expose over 750 of the world's most notorious scams. Here is an example of the page with comment section:

http://scam-detector.com/face-to-face-s ... red-camera

Return to “Administration 1.5”