Changing Admins and logging into an FTP server

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
RRGJames
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Changing Admins and logging into an FTP server

Post by RRGJames » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Hello Joomla!
So, I'm new to the whole website thing, and my boss gave me permissions to his website to change a bunch of stuff on it; long story short after 5 web people messed with it I can't change anything on it -at all- and I can't access the FTP to get change or update files. my account says admin, and there's SUPERADMIN that might be able to help that I also can't access, so what I need to do is have any other account on the website dismissed, and somehow magically retrieve the FTP password without having to bother my boss again because he gets angry and yells and fires people when we can't figure so and so out. so I'm desperately pleading for help. if anyone out there can help, please reply.

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: Changing Admins and logging into an FTP server

Post by jcms » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:02 am

can you login Cpanel or phpmyadmin? then you can change the password of your user.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:37 am

what I need to do is have any other account on the website dismissed, and somehow magically retrieve the FTP password without having to bother my boss again
Proper passwords cannot be retrieved. The purpose of passwords is to provide security and being able to retrieve passwords would circumvent security. That is why passwords are encrypted. Joomla user passwords can be reset from the reset link, usually in the login form, if you have access to the mailbox of the user.

If you want FTP access, you need to have the details of the cPanel of the hosting provider, which would allow you to manage the FTP accounts. Your boss may have the login credentials, otherwise you need to call the hosting provider, if you know who they are.

Please note that most updates you should be able to do from the back end of Joomla, but you need full access as a Super User. If you cannot get access otherwise but have access to the cPanel and phpMyAdministrator or another database administrator tool from your hosting provider, you can reset the password or create a new user by following these instructions: https://docs.joomla.org/J1.5:How_do_you ... assword%3F

Once you have got his far, you need to know that Joomla 1.5 is out of date, not supported and if the site has not been maintained properly, some of its extensions may be vulnerable to exploits, if the site has not been hacked already. Therefore it is advisable to migrate to a supported version of Joomla. There is plenty of documentation about it but you need to replace the template and most likely some extensions, especially if custom development has been done.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

RRGJames
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RRGJames » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:26 pm

I appreciate the jump on responses it helps to start the new work week, I'll poke around and see what I can't get done. I'll try to talk to my boss about updating the server to a new version of Joomla.

Thanks!
- RRG James

Return to “Administration 1.5”