Cannot Find htaccess.txt

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
DejaV
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Cannot Find htaccess.txt

Post by DejaV » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:59 pm

I am trying to change htaccess.txt to .htaccess, but I cannot find it. If it isn't in my root folder, where can I find it or how can I just create a .htaccess file?

browncar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Cannot Find htaccess.txt

Post by browncar » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 pm

http://www.pathos-seo.com/joomla-seo-op ... files.html

I found this link for you with copys of the htaccess files for joomla.

I hope this helps ya
remember to edit it in a text editor and then upload it in ascii with your ftp program.

Cheers

DejaV
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DejaV » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks!

browncar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by browncar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 am

So did you get the .htaccess file up and running?

DejaV
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DejaV » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Yup! Thank you for your help!

KThackston
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KThackston » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:41 am

I must be an idiot because I have created, cut and paste every sample they have shown on the aforementioned link and i still cannot get my .htaccess page to work in the apache mod_rewrite mode.

If I turn off the Use Apache mod_rewrite, it will work as long as it has the index.php in it.
example: http://www.utopiaspanishproperty.com/in ... rence.html

But I want to get rid of the index.php that falls in the middle there. Any thoughts?

Also, now that I have moved my master files out of a subdirectory, my home link in the menu goes to the default.htm opening page I created as a lead in instead of the index.php page. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Hummerbie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hummerbie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 am

@KThackston: Do you use a sef component like sh404SEF?

With that component you can point your home menu link to the index.php form Joomla and have a deault.htm as intro/spash page

For the .htaccess, did you active the /RewriteBase option and set it to /RewriteBase/JUtopia since that is where your installation seem to be.

If you copied them to a higher root dir, make sure your change the configuration.php files accordingly.

KThackston
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KThackston » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm

I have started using the sh404SEF component, but I still cannot seem to get it to see them as different pages so I ended up moving it back into a folder at a lower level.

That being said, now I cannot get the sh404SEF component to drop the index.php from the urls. Any thoughts on that?

Hummerbie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hummerbie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:07 pm

@KThackston: First set the configuration panel form sh404SEF to "Advanced", this is done on the right side of the confguration panel screen.

After that go to the "Advanced" Tab, there you will find a field called "rewriting mode" select there the option "with .htaccess (mod rewrite).
The best setting for you .htaccess file is in the documentation of sh404SEF since you need to set it to "third party components".

On the same tab you find the "Home page URL" option, ther you need to set the full url of your Joomla! installation including the index.php , then you can have a default.html splach page and the Home link on the Joomla Menu should go directly to your Joomla! side instead of the splash page.

Hope this helps

munnibhai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by munnibhai » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 am

one of the most important things...

##
# Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
# is not directly related to physical file paths.
# Update Your Joomla! Directory (just / for root).
##

# RewriteBase /

So you must uncomment "RewriteBase /" line if your installation is in root folder.
If your installation is in some other folder, just write the name of that folder after /

almamun
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by almamun » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:10 am

munnibhai wrote: So you must uncomment "RewriteBase /" line if your installation is in root folder.
If your installation is in some other folder, just write the name of that folder after /
Or just place htaccess along the other files without changing

Code: Select all

RewriteBase /
Bengali (Bangladesh) Forum Moderator

http://amviro.com - Web & App Development.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:18 am

munnibhai wrote:....
So you must uncomment "RewriteBase /" line if your installation is in root folder.
That is not always necessary but if it is done then if Joomla is not in the www root then the path will need to be appended.(If the server can accomdate several domain names and the domain name points to the folder then that folder may be considered the www root).

In addition sometimes the live_path var needs to be given a value and other times giving it a value causes problems.

Also mod_rewrite needs to be active on the server. There is plenty of information on the subject in the Joomla Wiki http://docs.joomla.org/Enabling_Search_ ... EF%29_URLs . Including step by step instructions.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Administration 1.5”