Hacked AGAIN, reallly its getting retarded

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 security issues.
Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions: http://feeds.joomla.org/JoomlaSecurityV ... Extensions

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Anarchyx67
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Hacked AGAIN, reallly its getting retarded

Post by Anarchyx67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 pm

brad wrote:
dallen wrote:Maybe an article about what joomla.org does to protect it's own site.
I have posted a number of articles as well as delivered presentations at each JoomlaDay I attend. The setup on joomla.org is not anything special. Good host, secure file permissions, regular backups as well as keeping Joomla up to date.

I really don't know what more to say. What more do you want? A car that never needs an oil change? An Operating system that never needs updating?
Security is very important, but seriously it's not that hard. Far too many people over complicate it, have shocking hosting setups and waste far too much time on things that don't really matter or make much difference.

In most cases, hacked sites usually include one or both of two things: 1. Poor hosting setup 2. User error - ie not keeping Joomla or it's components up to date.

I mean, not bothering with those two steps above is like leaving your laptop on display as you lock your car, and wondering why someone broke in. Think people!!

I'm sorry.. I am just so tired of people ranting about their sites being hacked when 99.9% of the problem is within their control, and they still refuse to think, or do anything, but post threads asking for free help to clean up their broken glass and beg for money to buy a new laptop.

How will hosts improve if users don't speak with their feet (ie move) or raise hosting issues with their hosts instead of just accepting the poor setups from the Slowdaddy's, 3&3's, and the long line of poorly configured oversellers. php4 anyone?
As for point number 2, why don't people who want to make a difference spend their energy trying to educate users that like a car, or a PC operating system, Joomla does require SIMPLE patches at times.

Do you read the little sticker on the windscreen, or notice your cars message about taking it in for a service? Do you install your operating system updates when prompted? Or do you rant and rave about your car breaking down because YOU never changed the oil or ever took it in for a service?

Seriously people.. think! The trough of water is about a foot below your mouth. Open your mouth, lower you head.. and drink! We're just can't push you heads down for you, or open your month for you.. but apart from that.. we've done everything else.

I'm sorry.. it's been boiling up inside me for weeks... I can't keep it in.

Maybe you need a break from Joomla then........ I know I for one would appreciate more "RussW" and less "Brad" in the posts if your posts are going to be like this. Seriously. You're burnt out and it shows, and comes across as negative to the community.

Just my personal opinion...
AnarchyX67

John 3:16... <Yea yea, just go read it. Have you? No? Then go read it!!!> :-)

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:11 pm

rliskey wrote:I added Russ' great writeup on how to add Security Feeds to the Joomla Security FAQs.
http://docs.joomla.org/Security_and_Performance_FAQs
Thanks for the help Ron.. good idea.

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Thanks Ron, much appreciated mate...
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

Return to “Security in Joomla! 1.5”