mailer hacked

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 security issues.
Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions: http://feeds.joomla.org/JoomlaSecurityV ... Extensions

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sandman9
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

mailer hacked

Post by sandman9 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I noticed spam email in my server's mail queue. I looked up the details and it is coming from a 1.5 site we have on the server. It's using the joomla mail settings (under global config, server tab then mail settings) for that site to send out spam messages on our server. Anyone have a similar problem or know what the issue is?

S

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: mailer hacked

Post by mandville » Fri May 17, 2013 2:38 pm

plase run the fpa. there was a similar problem years ago. but that was possiby not the same as yours
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm

When I had PHP-Nuke and not Joomla, a spammer succeded to upload a mailprogram on the site. I noticed it as I got houndreds of bounced e-mails suddenly and then I found this program. I had a chat program with upload program that the spammer used. I removed this upload program and then it was OK again.

sandman9
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sandman9 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't have a upload feature on this site. Just some sign up forms which is where I'm suspecting

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

please run the fpa http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860
if you allow users to register, dfo you allow the to create articles, or join a forum or community section that allows uploads?
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Return to “Security in Joomla! 1.5”