JS files permissions change by themselves - virus?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 security issues.
Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions: http://feeds.joomla.org/JoomlaSecurityV ... Extensions

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
shmuelzur
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

JS files permissions change by themselves - virus?

Post by shmuelzur » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 am

Hi
The permissons of JS files change, so that they are not accessible and menus don't work.
When They changed again by chmod to 644 everything works fine, but after some time it stops workig, and I can see that somethimg (unwanted software maybe) changed them again, and so on - I correct and it goes bad aagin.
Any idea of the cause?
If this is not the appropriate forum for the question plse let me know where to post it.
many thanks
Sam
Last edited by toivo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 1.5 Security

amitray
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: JS files permissions change by themselves - virus?

Post by amitray » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 am

There can be several reasons for this 1) If any extension you installed is capable of changing file permissions(admin tools) and someone has your admin password. 2) if you don't have complete permission/ownership to change the directory and file permissions.

shmuelzur
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shmuelzur » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for your quick response,
However 1) The phenomena happend two weeks ago, after years of proper behaviour. I did not install anything new. I don't know if old installations have this permission and I did not install any admintools.
2) I have complete permission, also host admin changed permissions with no problem. But after some time it went wrong again. Looks like some kind of malware or virus.
I have to mention that this is a small community site with low transportation. I don't think that anybody will bother to compromise it. Maybe some kind of robot etc...

amitray
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by amitray » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Robots cannot change the file permissions. I feel the main folder www or htdocs has ownership issues and if not then the server needs to be checked again. Also can you send the system info. I hope you know where to get it.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Return to “Security in Joomla! 1.5”