Slow loading Joomla 1.5 site

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Slow loading Joomla 1.5 site

Post by newart » Sat May 28, 2011 6:22 pm

chaten wrote:
newart wrote:
in the index.php of your template you can disable the download for users only just writing as follows:

Code: Select all

<?php
// Remove mootool sripts for guest, registered and admin
    $user =& JFactory::getUser();
    if ($user->get('guest') == 1 or $user->usertype == 'Registered' or $user->usertype == 'Super Administrator') {
        $headerstuff = $this->getHeadData();
        $headerstuff['scripts'] = array();
        $this->setHeadData($headerstuff);
    }
?>
just for seeing how fast can be your site, well, try a simple test (no risk at all! so be sure!)

This did the trick for me too :D. Joomla has sped up enormously. Luckily i'm not using mootools so nothing has broken either. Thanks very much.

P.S. Using 1.5.15 and 1.5.23
that's a good trick but please see also if in your override system, if used, all is right... ;)
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

chaten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chaten » Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 am

Newart: Everything seems to be fine, although its not as quick as initially expected.
Joomla tends to be pretty slow on the first load, which is a problem in general.

Optimising CSS has helped somewhat as well. Turning all caching on helps but causes faults with certain extentions. I have to keep trying and tweaking to see what elsse can be done.

eservices
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eservices » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi, can anybody check http://teampinoy.ph/?

It is either loading really slow, or comes up with an error:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Hosting\7388579\html\libraries\joomla\filter\filterinput.php on line 16

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Hosting\7388579\html\libraries\joomla\database\database.php on line 16

The same server is being used for another Joomla website before (website doesn't exist anymore), but it doesn't have any problems there. So I don't think it is an issue with the hosting?

Can anyone please advise?
I tried enabling/disabling cache, database session handle and web services but nothing works.

Thank you.

chaten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chaten » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Have a look on the forum (or google). Theres quite a few answers for your problem. Its to do with the php execution time in php.ini file (config file). Its something you'll be able to edit either inside MyPHP or something your host can sort out. (Also several other ways to fix it.)

This is a fix but possibly not a solution (ie. something is causing your script to run on) If you can find out what it is then you may not have to change the execution time.

eservices
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eservices » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 pm

So are you saying that it is an issue with the hosting?

But even if I extend the execution time in the host server, my website will still loads slowly. I want to know how I can improve the loading time.

chaten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chaten » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 am

Its not a problem with the host server, its a problem with the host server "settings". If its loading slowly try and see whats causing the problem. You can check the loading time via Firebug for Mozilla or a link like this one:

http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

See whats causing the slow loading and go from there. Ideally run through this forum post and see all the suggestions on how to speed it up:

eg. gzip, css optimisiation, template optimisation, caching etc.

Timlee
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Timlee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 am

cybersalt wrote:
global configuration --> system --> session settings . . . . . . change session handler from "database" to "none".

I haven't noticed any problems with my mods or components with that setting changed.
What happens when you do that more exactly?
What does it mean?
I'm not entirely sure - but it made my site run faster and nothing is broken. I'm trying to spend my time making money through my site instead of understanding how it runs. ;)
This method sped my site up dramatically! I don't know how/why it works either but very happy so far! If anyone knows of a problem with this, please let us all be aware of it!
http://www.uspartybands.com
Your Direct link to the Best Entertainers!

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:42 pm

chaten wrote:Newart: Everything seems to be fine, although its not as quick as initially expected.
Joomla tends to be pretty slow on the first load, which is a problem in general.

Optimising CSS has helped somewhat as well. Turning all caching on helps but causes faults with certain extentions. I have to keep trying and tweaking to see what elsse can be done.

Have you optimized your images? And how many are they?
Have you see if all is ok in your template, in particular the component.php file?

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Timlee wrote:
cybersalt wrote:
global configuration --> system --> session settings . . . . . . change session handler from "database" to "none".

I haven't noticed any problems with my mods or components with that setting changed.
What happens when you do that more exactly?
What does it mean?
I'm not entirely sure - but it made my site run faster and nothing is broken. I'm trying to spend my time making money through my site instead of understanding how it runs. ;)
This method sped my site up dramatically! I don't know how/why it works either but very happy so far! If anyone knows of a problem with this, please let us all be aware of it!
It should be better to disable only the front site and with no login user sessions...

richardfv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by richardfv » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello as i experience slow site as well and even after trying all your solutions here i still have issues, host: tmdhosting.com say it is my site (bad coding...)

i have attached debug coz it so long i dont want to use all space here.

I would like to know if this is my host lying to me or a problem with the site and then how to solve this.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richardfv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by richardfv » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am

richardfv wrote:Hello as i experience slow site as well and even after trying all your solutions here i still have issues, host: tmdhosting.com say it is my site (bad coding...)

i have attached debug coz it so long i dont want to use all space here.

I would like to know if this is my host lying to me or a problem with the site and then how to solve this.

Thanks
Is there no one that could help!

Application afterLoad: 0.000 seconds, 0.38 MB
Application afterInitialise: 0.060 seconds, 5.09 MB
Application afterRoute: 0.070 seconds, 5.86 MB
Application afterDispatch: 0.183 seconds, 13.24 MB
Application afterRender: 1.872 seconds, 35.32 MB
Memory Usage

110 queries logged

ftosam
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ftosam » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Howdy all.

I'm also experiencing a few issues with the site I made for my wife.

christylanephotography.com.au

I checked it through that web optimising thingo and it came back with a heap of things...

This is the summary it gave at the end:

Analysis and Recommendations
TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization. Y
TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 123 which by their number will dominate web page delay. Consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Above 20 objects per page the overhead from dealing with the actual objects (description time and wait time) accounts for more than 80% of whole page latency. See Figure II-3: Relative distribution of latency components showing that object overhead dominates web page latency in Website Optimization Secrets for more details on how object overhead dominates web page latency. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests. Consider using CSS sprites to help consolidate decorative images. Using CSS techniques such as colored backgrounds, borders, or spacing instead of graphic techniques can reduce HTTP requests. Replace graphic text headers with CSS text headers to further reduce HTTP requests. Finally, consider optimizing parallel downloads by using different hostnames or a CDN to reduce object overhead.
TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 92 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Recommend combining, replacing, and optimizing your graphics. Replace graphic rollover menus with CSS rollover menus to speed display and minimize HTTP requests. Consider using CSS sprites to help consolidate decorative images. Use CSS techniques such as colored backgrounds, borders, or spacing instead of graphic techniques to reduce HTTP requests. Replace graphic text headers with CSS text headers to further reduce HTTP requests. Finally, consider optimizing parallel downloads by using different hostnames to reduce object overhead.
TOTAL_CSS - Warning! The total number of external CSS files on this page is 14 , consider reducing this to one or two external files. Combine, refine, and optimize your external CSS files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed CSS for high-traffic pages) on your pages. You can optimize CSS files using shorthand properties, grouping, and then minify and GZIP compress them to reduce their footprint. Remember to place CSS files in the HEAD and JavaScript files at the end of the BODY to enable progressive display.
TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 448559 bytes, which will load in 114.00 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 100K to achieve sub 20 second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider optimizing your site with Website Optimization Secrets, Speed Up Your Site or contacting us about our optimization services.
TOTAL_SCRIPT - Warning! The total number of external script files on this page is 16 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refactor, and minify to optimize your JavaScript files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages. Consider suturing JavaScript files together at the server to minimize HTTP requests. Placing external JavaScript files at the bottom of your BODY, and CSS files in the HEAD enables progressive display in XHTML web pages.
HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 6067 bytes, which less than 50K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your HTML to display content in under 10 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 259969 bytes, which is over 100K. Consider switch graphic formats to achive smaller file sizes (from JPEG to PNG for example). Finally, substitute CSS techniques for graphics techniques to create colored borders, backgrounds, and spacing.
SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 166505 bytes, which is over 20K. Consider optimizing your JavaScript for size, combining them, and using HTTP compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents. You can substitute CSS menus for JavaScript-based menus to minimize or even eliminate the use of JavaScript.
CSS_SIZE - Caution. The total size of your external CSS is 16018 bytes, which is above 8K and less than 20K. For external files, ideally keep them less than 1160 bytes to fit within one higher-speed TCP-IP packet (or an approximate multiple thereof). Consider optimizing your CSS and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.
MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 10K.

Anyway, i have very very minimal experience with joomla, but can figure stuff out if i know what i'm meant to do.

Can someone tell me what i'm meant to change in joomla to fix some of these issues for speed?

Any help would be so much appreciated.

thanks,
sam

SteveFelix
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SteveFelix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:01 am

On my site, I had a 10 second delay before each page would begin loading (at which point they'd load near-instantly). Solved it by deleting "loader.php" in [joomla root]/libraries/joomla. I think a worm put that file there, as it tried to reach an ip address that timed out (causing the delay). There is a legit "loader.php" in [joomla root]/libraries.

snavon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by snavon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Hello,

I was having the same problem with my Hosting Godaddy.com with my domain http://www.mastersolution.net and after recherche and diagnostic the problem to different layers, i found even the second time with my domain http://www.mastersolution.biz that it coming with godaddy network problem, they start to transfer from the old server to the new 4GH because they starch to much website share on one slow server, and when the technologies is grow they old server being too slow.
Now if you setup Joomla 1.5.x good and the site is still slow, trace route to your server and also make sure if you are in godaddy.com hosted to migration to 4GH, that will Very significantly to your website.

Hope i can help;D

snavon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by snavon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm

No Prob :)

jobo9968
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jobo9968 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm

I went trough whole tread which was started in March 2008.
Now is Nov 2011 and it seems to be no solution for that problem.
I just noticed today visiting my client, how my latest project, I spent quite few hours is loading slow.
http://www.perfectwedding.ie
I was trying many things recently with all the plugins that merge css or js files.
No luck.
Then I thought that it might be the template I'm using. It's JoomlaXTC template.
Does anybody using those templates?
I'm so tired seeing the high bounce rate in G. Analytics.
I just realised today, that it's because of to long load time.
Is there anybody here that could help me with that?

Thanks

Janek

irandream
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by irandream » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:54 am

There are several third party cache components & Site-preformnace Plugin for Joomla that can dramatically increase your Joomla website´s performance. You find them in:

Site-preformnace Plugin :

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... erformance

extent Cache Components for Joomla find here :

http://extensions.joomla.org/index.php? ... 7&Itemid=2

hailmary
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hailmary » Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Our site is also experiencing slow loading times.

http://www.distell.com

I have contacted the hosts who say that the server is fine, yet the page can take up to 15secs to load depending. I have done a number of the changes suggested in this post bar the mootools. We are running 1.5.15.

The decrease in loading time only began two weeks ago and there where no major changes at that time.

Any Advice? ( Apart form upgrading, as we do not currently have the capability)

Thanks

j_van_dijken
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by j_van_dijken » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am

Hi!
Slow website here as well! No idea what causes it, it suddenly happend last week or so. Very annoying!
www.huisartsvandijken.nl
Extra annoying: some menu's, including the main menu, do not load: sometimes they do, most of the time they don't. The hosting provider says the problem is not on their side. The funny thing is, that the site on my localhost works fine!
Could it be something with metamod?
Thx!

kiernan7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kiernan7 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 am

I FOUND MY PROBLEM AND PERHAPS IT MIGHT HELP YOU:
After reading various posts about the template, I changed to another template and the website sped up considerably. I then did some investigating and found the index.php of the template has been HACKED and there was EVAL() and BASE 64() code in there! As soon as I put in a "clean" version of the PHP, the website was back to normal! Hope this helps someone.
-- John Kiernan

enbees
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by enbees » Fri May 31, 2013 6:06 am

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM

Hi, my freezing slowly loading website now has come back with its original speed, loading in a matter of seconds. I read some of your posts in this thread and tried the suggestions: REMOVE/DISABLE old and unused extensions particularly modules and plugins from your site.

The very slow loading started about a week ago after I added several new menus, modules, and plugin to the site. Then I was experiencing the very slow loading, sometimes the page can't be displayed and the error message was a Network Error (time out).

Thanks for the great helps from this Forum, as always.
Regards,
enbees, I'm here: http://koperasoft.com

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”