Slow loading Joomla 1.5 site

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
geo3d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Slow loading Joomla 1.5 site

Post by geo3d » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 pm

A very interesting thread. I have a site running on a home server (linux) and there are no problems on response times. However, I'm now building one for work on Windows and damned if I didn't run into this problem. I'm still troubleshooting but so far no improvement. Clearly, an obviously not all users will experience same result due to different configurations but keep the suggestions coming please.

drewjackson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Help: Changing session handler kicked me out

Post by drewjackson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm

While trying the above suggestion to change session handling to "None", upon saving, I was immediately thrown out of Joomla and presented with the admin login page. My name and password are no longer accepted. I do not get an error message, it simply clears out the name and password field and I remain on this page. Further, pages in the live site no longer display. I am taken to a "Not Found" page.

This, of course, has me completely freaked out. I do not have the master admin name and password, I am an added user with full admin rights. I have sent an e-mail to the admin to see if he can get in.

What just happened and how do I fix it?

cybersalt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cybersalt » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Being kicked out when you change the session handling happens every time so don't worry about that.

As for the other problems, was there anything you changed in the config before saving the session handling?
Tim Davis
Cybersalt | Basic Joomla Tutorials
https://www.cybersalt.com | https://www.[youtube].com/basicjoomla

drewjackson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drewjackson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 pm

I changed a couple other things, but usually I change one thing, save, test the site, then change another, save, test the site. So I'm not sure if I change something before saving at the same time I also changed the sessions setting. But I did change at some point in the same work session trying to speed up the site:

1. Search engine friendly URL's to "yes".
2. Cache to "No" (and possibly later back to "yes")
3. Enable web services (don't remember if it was yes to no, or no to yes).
4. Gzip page compression (don't remember if it was yes to no, or no to yes).

So, in addition to not being able to log in, nearly ever page says "page not found", though the home page displays. When I choose a menu item, it does try to display the search friendly URL, and maybe that's connect to why the pages aren't showing?

drewjackson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drewjackson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Progress...

I was able to, with the help of a friend, locate the configuration.php file. I set $sef back to "0" and now all the pages display, but no one, not even the super admin, can log in to the admin area.

I then set $session_handler to 'database' (from 'none'), but we're still locked out. I also tried 'Database' to no effect. It's presently set to 'database'.

$caching is currently set to '1' and $gzip is set to '0'. I have already changed these back and forth, but have never been locked out as a result.

In summary, the present problem seems that none of us can log in, even though our user names and passwords exist in the MySQL tables.

artheo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by artheo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:50 am

try it:

deactivate system jfdatabase plugin

now joomla 1.5.x in my sites is flying

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 am

artheo wrote:try it:

that plugin doesn't exist from the core..
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

artheo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by artheo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:39 am

sorry, i'm using joomfish

sorry again

Eckhard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Eckhard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 am

Just to mention that the Joomla.org sites are loading extremely slow. Extension need sometimes up to 30 seconds.
So even a dedicated server does not make it different.
Extensions tested right now 36 seconds.. :-(

Eckhard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Eckhard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 am

Talking about SH404 SEf... is there a solution, plug-in, for Ultimate Content Display
or a way to manually rewrite the link?
thanks

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:14 am

Eckhard wrote:Just to mention that the Joomla.org sites are loading extremely slow. Extension need sometimes up to 30 seconds.
So even a dedicated server does not make it different.
Extensions tested right now 36 seconds.. :-(
You have to realize something. Extensions is serving a LOT of traffic right now. There are scrapers just hammering the site down (DDOS attack, basically). It's probably serving nearly 20,000 simultaneous users right now...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

rjdjohnston
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rjdjohnston » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm

artheo wrote:try it:

This little tid bit saved my rear! Joomfish is a dog on the system

Thanks!

vernonr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Profiling a Joomla 1.5 site that was slow to load

Post by vernonr » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:18 am

How to analyse what is taking the time

In case it helps... the new KKSmarts site I'm working on wasn't loading quickly - and caching was turned off. Before I turned it on I turned debug on the profiling statements to get a couple of clues establish to what was taking the time...( in my situation )

Application afterLoad: 0.005 seconds, 0.33 MB
Application afterInitialise: 0.640 seconds, 3.34 MB
Application afterRoute: 0.786 seconds, 4.15 MB
Application afterDispatch: 3.113 seconds, 8.19 MB
Application afterRender: 6.625 seconds, 9.25 MB

Using a copy of Joomla on a different path I then copied the profiling lines to other places ( follow the function calls from index.php
e.g. around line 380 in libraries/joomla/document/html/html.php I added two debug lines and the global reference and the two JDEBUG lines...

======== code snippet =====================
$count = count($matches[1]);
global $_PROFILER;

JDEBUG ? $_PROFILER->mark("document\html\html.php about to parse $count Attributes") : null;

for($i = 0; $i < $count; $i++)
{
$attribs = JUtility::parseAttributes( $matches[2][$i] );
$type = $matches[1][$i];

$name = isset($attribs['name']) ? $attribs['name'] : null;
JDEBUG ? $_PROFILER->mark("document\html\html.php getBuffer $name $attribs") : null;
$replace[$i] = $this->getBuffer($type, $name, $attribs);
}

$data = str_replace($matches[0], $replace, $data);
}

======== code snippet ends =====================

you can alter the text string to say what you want - note that $count and $attribs are variables in this particular routine.

I then got output from the same page of...
Application afterLoad: 0.003 seconds, 0.33 MB
Application afterInitialise: 0.667 seconds, 3.35 MB
Application afterRoute: 0.815 seconds, 4.15 MB
Application afterDispatch: 3.033 seconds, 8.20 MB
Application document\html\html.php about to loadTemplate: 3.046 seconds, 8.21 MB
Application document\html\html.php about to parseTemplate: 3.133 seconds, 8.41 MB
Application document\html\html.php about to parse 12 Attributes: 3.135 seconds, 8.41 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer headerright Array: 3.136 seconds, 8.41 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer breadcrumb Array: 3.230 seconds, 8.54 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer headerleft Array: 3.320 seconds, 8.56 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer user1 Array: 3.462 seconds, 8.70 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer footer Array: 3.490 seconds, 8.70 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer footerrightoffer Array: 3.497 seconds, 8.70 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer footerleftoffer Array: 3.503 seconds, 8.70 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer companydetails Array: 3.509 seconds, 8.70 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer rightresource Array: 3.701 seconds, 8.71 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer rightmenu Array: 3.763 seconds, 8.76 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer Array: 6.524 seconds, 9.17 MB
Application document\html\html.php getBuffer Array: 6.529 seconds, 9.18 MB
Application document\html\html.php about to render Template: 6.542 seconds, 9.21 MB
Application afterRender: 6.546 seconds, 9.26 MB

i.e. telling which positions in the template took the time to parse..

Looking down the list here I saw that right menu took nearly 3 seconds ! to getBuffer and execute the loop ( see the snippet above ).

I happened to have 2 menus in the rightmenu template position. Disabling each of these in turn ( I turned debug off ) whilst making the change ( and then back on again ). I proved that in my implementation menu parsing was taking about 0.1 seconds - which mounts up if you have 30 items on a menu which are straight links.

Caching prevents this issue affecting the user nicely - but doesn't correct underlying code issues...and doesn't help the core development team create an even better product.

So my experience suggests that there are some areas in the menu parsing code that could do with attention from someone who knows the code...

My suggestion is that "those who know how" instrument a copy of the Joomla 1.5.x code with additional profiling statements and then rather than having a vague debate there can be some real figures to enable focus on the bits that aren't quite as good.

BTW the JDEBUG means that profiling statements drop out when debug isn't turned on

Cheers

Tonios
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tonios » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Real trouble of Joomla code...

http://joomlaspeed.wordpress.com/

I have checked up - it works!

mamikonjanm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mamikonjanm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi Guys,

as you all, I also have the problem with my site - it is very slow!
I am using Joomla 1.5.8 and also some javascripts (slider, drawer and so on on my site)

Installed components: SH40SEF, JoomFish, ALLVID RELOADED and JCEDITOR.

I disabled enabled caching/gzip and so on, I tried all options mentioned in these 3 pages about this issue, but nothing helped. The only thing I did not try is the option of "vernonr" (2nd latest post), because I do not know how to do that.

In FireFox it takes up to 15 sec to load and in IE it loads also very very slow but the problem here is that the site is lagging also if you are surfing in it, the pictures do not load full and the whole site is lagging.

Can anyone please tell me how I can do the thing mentioned by "vernonr" - I didn't try this yet, or anything else which could help me? Maybe disabling some plugins of joomfish or things like that.

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Real trouble of Joomla code...

How did you do that? Please help.

dutchmarshalls
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dutchmarshalls » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Oke, I had that yesterday. What did is turn my server off and start it again. Now I have access to my own server and do not know if you have that also. But that does the trick
:)

mamikonjanm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mamikonjanm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:02 pm

okay thanmks, no the problem is that I cannot turn off my server, I do have access to it, but how do you turn of the server :eek:

You know what I did, I was also runnig joomfish with 4 languages, DE, ES, FR, EN, RU - I though I am going to uninstall it, first I had some problems removing it, but after I did, the site was very fast - it is not sooo fast like opneing a site withing a second or 3 but the site is opening in 5 seconds-do you know how I can make it go even faster than that??

thanks!!

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 pm

the problem of a heavy load is by mootools size too, as we know. I point out this as I'd like to see an option for avoiding to load something not necessary. In a site of mine I think java stuffs should be useful for registered users only.

I hope somebody agrees with me...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

mamikonjanm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mamikonjanm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:38 pm

newart wrote:the problem of a heavy load is by mootools size too, as we know. I point out this as I'd like to see an option for avoiding to load something not necessary. In a site of mine I think java stuffs should be useful for registered users only.

and how can we disable or make the size smaller of mootools files? Without mootools the site wont work correctly for me, because I have some sliders, etc on my site...the site is quite fast now but in IE - it's like it is still lagging, I hate IE (but almost everyone uses IE - thats the problem, it is important that the site is running good on IE)

Any help?

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:05 pm

There are sundry solutions for you! No problem, what's important is to have a full control of them, by options or by choosing what file you need for your site!

About your need what exactly are you searching?

dallen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dallen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Tonios wrote:Real trouble of Joomla code...

This is a blog from back in September 22, 2008 and according to the changelog.php that is included with joomla under October:
19-Oct-2008 Ian MacLennan - [#12864] Issue with JMenu and large sites

Is this still an issue or is it resolved in the 1.5.8 update?
Last edited by dallen on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revive1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by revive1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 am

You can also stop by: http://www.octagate.com/service/SiteTimer/
it's a great resource to see if a specific file, or non-optimized image, is making the site hang.

One more thing, ircmaxwell is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

You can have a great host with premium hardware and if it's not optimized or setup properly, your site will be a dog.
Last edited by revive1 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favorite web design/dev tools:
Rackspace Cloud Files + Cloud9 http://cloud9manager.com
24" iMac, MAMP Pro, Logitech MX Revolution, Coda, TextMate, Transmit, Snippley and Adobe CS4
For small ecommerce: http://nanao-cart.com

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:15 pm

good the SiteTimer feature, thanx!

#dallen : as far as I know that fix is already "fixed" for 1.5.8 too... maybe there is another similar bug issue... well it is possible... but you need to see other joomlers with similar sites and with that "bug".

dallen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dallen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm

newart wrote:#dallen : as far as I know that fix is already "fixed" for 1.5.8 too... maybe there is another similar bug issue... well it is possible... but you need to see other joomlers with similar sites and with that "bug".
Thanks newart, I was just double checking. :D
I would hate to see a lot of people spending time trying to fix something that wasn't broken and possibly make things worse.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:29 pm

wise words! and testing is the better way for avoiding misunderstandings

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:25 pm

[quote="revive1"]You can also stop by: http://www.octagate.com/service/SiteTimer/
it's a great resource to see if a specific file, or non-optimized image, is making the site hang.
/quote]

Cheers m8, it is indeed a superb resource. Thanks for the link :).

Regards
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:44 pm

mamikonjanm wrote:
newart wrote:the problem of a heavy load is by mootools size too, as we know. I point out this as I'd like to see an option for avoiding to load something not necessary. In a site of mine I think java stuffs should be useful for registered users only.

and how can we disable or make the size smaller of mootools files? Without mootools the site wont work correctly for me, because I have some sliders, etc on my site...the site is quite fast now but in IE - it's like it is still lagging, I hate IE (but almost everyone uses IE - thats the problem, it is important that the site is running good on IE)

Any help?

in the index.php of your template you can disable the download for users only just writing as follows:

Code: Select all

<?php
// Remove mootool sripts for guest, registered and admin
    $user =& JFactory::getUser();
    if ($user->get('guest') == 1 or $user->usertype == 'Registered' or $user->usertype == 'Super Administrator') {
        $headerstuff = $this->getHeadData();
        $headerstuff['scripts'] = array();
        $this->setHeadData($headerstuff);
    }
?>
just for seeing how fast can be your site, well, try a simple test (no risk at all! so be sure!)

mamikonjanm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mamikonjanm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:44 pm

newart wrote:
mamikonjanm wrote:

Any help?

in the index.php of your template you can disable the download for users only just writing as follows:

Code: Select all

<?php
// Remove mootool sripts for guest, registered and admin
    $user =& JFactory::getUser();
    if ($user->get('guest') == 1 or $user->usertype == 'Registered' or $user->usertype == 'Super Administrator') {
        $headerstuff = $this->getHeadData();
        $headerstuff['scripts'] = array();
        $this->setHeadData($headerstuff);
    }
?>
just for seeing how fast can be your site, well, try a simple test (no risk at all! so be sure!)
Hi,

thanks for the code, I did so and really the site was very fast :D, but the 2nd problem was that the sliders/etc didnt work for me, so I had to activate it again...

I was trying to make a new mootols file from mootools.net but if I do and download that I cannot use it with joomla :( dont know what the problem is. The file which is generated by mootools itself is much smaller than the one we have in joomla...

I think that the problem is with the mootools file size we have.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Regards
Michael

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 pm

well exactly the problem is that we cannot choose what mootool file suits best for my site, in a certain way. I like to read your surprise when seeing a fast joomla site!

I hope to see more control over these files in a next release...

About your problem you have to use these files; you have to reduce these files but I'm not so confident with java for a good tip / trick ;)

mamikonjanm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mamikonjanm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:11 pm

newart wrote:well exactly the problem is that we cannot choose what mootool file suits best for my site, in a certain way. I like to read your surprise when seeing a fast joomla site!

I hope to see more control over these files in a next release...

About your problem you have to use these files; you have to reduce these files but I'm not so confident with java for a good tip / trick ;)
lool :D I really was surprised :D, now hope to see some changes you are right, cuz mootools is making the site very slow and besides that I have Godaddy as my hosting and they are a little slow also.

Thanks everyone who tried to help!!

Greetings from Austria
Michael

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”