Add/Edit Articles - White page with no editor & partial info

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Add/Edit Articles - White page with no editor & partial info

Post by slboone » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I just installed a new installation of 1.58 and then migrated a site over. Whenever I try to add or edit an article using the article manager, I get a weird white screen with only partial information and none of the typical Joomla formatting. There is no way to edit the article and/or add content for a new article. I have tried disabling the editor - same result. I tried re-enabling the editor - same result. I have reinstalled Joomla - same result. I'm kinda lost at this point as the site is working beautifully beyond this and I have never had this issue before. I would appreciate any help offered as I cannot add new content to the site. :(

Thanks so much,

Sondra Boone
sample white screen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Add/Edit Articles - White page with no editor & partial info

Post by dpminusa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 pm

What editor do you have selected for yourself in the User Manager? Have you tried to add another editor such as FCK or JCE from the Extensions library to see if it is related to your current editor.

As a long shot, is your database working 100%, since the articles live there?

Do you have webmin or phpmyadmin or something to look at your database with? You can see if the information is in the jos_content table and is readable.

I use webmin, but there are several to pick from.

You sound experienced in this to me.

Hope this gives you some direction.

dpminusa

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Unfortunately, adding another editor does not correct the issue. I still have the same problem. I believe my datafile is fine, i did restore the database from the original site and all of the articles are displaying correctly so they are pulling from teh jos_content table. I just can't edit or add to it. :( i'm still reallly frustrated and looking for some help! Thanks for the tips, anyone else have any suggestions?

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 pm

What permissions did you grant yourself in the database?

I'm not out of ideas yet.

I would try to just tweak the record directly in the database manager independent of Joomla to see if you have permissions in the database to work on its records. Add a period or one character that you can remove again.

i.e. isolate the problem by removing some layers of details. Like testing at the command line in other problems.

Try that to confirm you are OK with the database first. That was the idea with switching editors. Try to isolate one thing at a time if you are stuck.

dpminusa

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 am

Hi again,

Yes, I do have complete DBA permissions for the database, I can view, modify, edit and delete from jos_content either using Fabrik or directly from phpmyadmin. Anything else????

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 am

Joomla does not like spaces in names. Can you rename Business and Finance to business-and-finance.

dpminusa

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:58 pm

i have tried it with all of my atricles and none of them work, even the one word names

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm

As a matter of fact, I get the same screen when I try to add a new article.

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:32 pm

In an attempt to isolate any issue with the database, i renamed the jos_content file to bak_content and then copied structure only to a new table jos_content. Obviously all of my articles are gone now, however, I still receive the same weird white screen when I attempt to create a new article. I'm stumped.

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 pm

So far we have examined a few things I have experienced as problems. It can be a lot of other things.

This is all in the Admin area, right. To speed this up can I visit your site as a guest Admin and look around for you? Look at settings, the code in the page that seems to be failing with view source, etc.

You can remove my account later. Its up to you. We seems to be moving slowly. What you have as a problem seems unusual but may be a setting.

dpminusa

tarunama
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tarunama » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Just read this post, I have the same problem, did you solve it?

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:21 pm

If you are by any chance using RokCandy or a RocketTheme template, that could be the problem. When I disabled and uninstalled the RokCandy feature, it corrected my problem. Good luck!!!

tarunama
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tarunama » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Wow! Can't believe that could be the problem...I am using a RT template, so simply uninstalling the template makes te problem go away?

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Not the template, just the module. The problem I had specifically was in the RokCandy module. It is a module that allows you to embed html in articles so that they are not stripped out by the editor. When I uninstalled that module, everything started working correctly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE those templates and am still using the one that I had installed orginally, just not that RokCandy component. I should probably note this issue with RocketTheme too so that they can correct it.

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Recent experiences with other similar forum posts has shown that double checking your menu links to the template(s) with the template manager is a good idea. Two or three of them were incorrect, missing, or obsolete links.
Template_Menu_Assignments.jpg
dpminusa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slboone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slboone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Not saying that hasn't been a problem for others, but mine was resolved by disabling the RokCandy Extension .

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Outstanding. You are a patient lady. Glad its resolved.

I have seen the template be a common issue when the problem seems a little funky. My sites have certainly been that way.

I end up changing templates, customizing them, etc. Especially when I migrate or upgrade. The positions and module css attributes are different from one to the other. Joomla generates a bunch of classes that the template needs to consider. Some do that well, others are missing some.

The menu item link issue is more common that you would think. I have had that recently too.

Good Luck going forward.

dpminusa

tikroute
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Add/Edit Articles - White page with no editor & partial

Post by tikroute » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:19 pm

slboone wrote:If you are by any chance using RokCandy or a RocketTheme template, that could be the problem. When I disabled and uninstalled the RokCandy feature, it corrected my problem. Good luck!!!
thank you dude, I had same problem but with jckeditor plugin, I removed jckeditor but the plugin was still there, I disabled it and my problem solved , thanks for your inspiration! :p
Lovely CMS? joomla!

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”