Joomla! and JotForm

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dShanahan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla! and JotForm

Post by dShanahan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:37 am

In Joomla! 1.5.8 I am trying to embed several forms I created on JotForm and I'm having peculiar results. At first, I copied and pasted the form code, provided by JotForm, into an article, but it didn't even come close to working. Then, after searching online, I found a discussion that suggested (really, more than a suggestion) turning off the TinyMCE 2.0 editor (Site/Global Configuration). I did this and it worked like a charm.

All of this took place in a sandbox, so I wanted to do the same thing in a demo. However, when I tried the same procedure and "save" or "apply", the editor (which, remember, is turned to No Editor) lops off the top part of the code and its closing tags:

Code: Select all

<script src="http://www.jotform.com/js/form.js?v2.0.796" type="text/javascript"></script>
<style type="text/css">
and

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

I checked all the settings in the Sandbox and compared them to the demo and they seem to be the same. I copied the code from JotForm and put it into a text editor (TextEdit, the Coda) but that did not work. I tried this in Safari 3.2.1 and Firefox 2.0.0.17 and that made no difference.

I thought I might have a conflict with an extension or plugin, so I did a fresh install of Joomla! (via my host provider, SiteGround; I used Fantastico), without the dummy data and that did not work.

It is very frustrating. I can see what is happening - part of the code is getting annihilated when I save or apply. However, this is not consistent because it does work in my sandbox version - same Joomla!, same PHP, same MySQL, same JotForm code.

Anyone have any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Joomla! and JotForm

Post by fred123 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:28 pm

I found a solution!!!

Same exact problem you were having... I found this in another fourm... Basically you just turn of the WYSIWYG editor in the user manager. The MCE editor is stripping your code. Just turn that off, insert your code into an article, and presto!!! Note, once you turn the editor back on, and edit the article, its gone...

So get it right, and dont mess with that article any longer! :)

Heres the post that saved the day:

I use joomla a lot. There is a way to put javascript code directly into a static content page without installing any extensions.....

The default Joomla WYSIWYG editor (tinyMCE) does not allow you to post javascript directly into a joomla static content page. You have to turn off the WYSIWYG editor to put javascript into a static content page.

This can be done in the Joomla admin area under User Manager then click on the user you are logged in as and under the User Editor Parameters choose No WYSIWYG editor. You will now be able to post javascript or any other code into a static content page without it mucking up the code.
Last Edited by beechy (2007-01-22 11:42:31)

fred123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fred123 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Another quick point...

I used the first option for the jotform code.

The 2 llines of iframe code...

I tired with option 2, but did not have success.

I hope this helps!

dShanahan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dShanahan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:09 am

Thanks for replying, Fred. I'm curious how many other people are using JotForms in their Joomla! solutions. I see this forum has had several viewers, but you are the first to reply, so thanks!

I did turn off the WYSIWYG editor, as I mentioned in my original post. It worked at one point. Then, all of a sudden, it didn't work, so I was perplexed.

Then, I thought I could probably just add the data to the MySQL record itself, so that is what I did. You may know how to do this already, but for documentation sake and others who may not know, here is the process I took.

1. Go to JotForms, select a form, and copy the code (the "source" button in the menu bar). I pasted the code in a text editor in case I inadvertently copied something else, thus removing the code from my clipboard. This is merely a precaution and not necessary.

2. Open phpMyAdmin.

3. Find the right Joomla! database. I have several, so it is important to get the right one. I keep screen shots of the database name and log-in information in my files.

4. Go to the table jos_content.

5. Once in the jos_content table, select the Browse tab. These are all the articles. Find the forms (I added the forms in Joomla!Administrator and edited in phpMyAdmin. One could also add the form in phpMyAdmin as both methods are adding a record to the table.)

6. Click the pencil icon to edit a record.

7. Paste the code in the Introtext field. Scroll down and click the "Go" button in phpMyAdmin.

That's it. Now, the form should display properly.

I'm curious if other people are having similar problems, if other people have found other solutions, and if this solution is helpful.

Thanks.

- daniel

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”