New User Register hangs

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wildgeeza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

New User Register hangs

Post by wildgeeza » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi All,

I'm having problems with users registering on the front end, from the com_user register page.

When you click the register button, a user is created in the db, but the page seems to hang there for nearly 4 or 5mins ., waiting for a server response, before finally redirecting.

Any ideas?

Thanks
- Stu

Problem Description:
User cannot self register

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.10 (Fedora) ( test.jyctest.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.9
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): No | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.67 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Enabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 20M | Max. Post Size: 20M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.0.67 ( latin1 )

wildgeeza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: New User Register hangs

Post by wildgeeza » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:38 am

A bit of an update.

I've had a word with our server techies that suggest there's nothing wrong with the server calls and SQL DB connectivity. - and they suggest it must be some javascript timing out (?) Any ideas where the calls are made? Maybe a MooTools issue?

Also, I timed some of the pauses involved to see if they're always the same.. and they actually all seem to take 7.5mins before redirecting.

I tried a fresh / clean install of 1.5.10 and it does the same issue as a 1.5.14 install...

Any thoughts?

wildgeeza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: New User Register hangs

Post by wildgeeza » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

I've given up with an official solution due to project time constraints.

Those interested may like to know that this solution works ok - forcing a redirect after the user has registered. This actually works out a little bit better for me, as I can now have a bespoke "thanks for registering" page.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&p=1870341

/plugins/redirect.php
which currently looks like (line 13):
Code:
$mainframe->redirect("index.php?option=com_contact");

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”