Are there any tricks to speed up k2

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Are there any tricks to speed up k2

Post by seaside man » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 am

Hi, i am using k2 with the world news template but i find k2 very slow. i have researched this and a lot of people are saying that using k2 makes their sites very slow, is there a way of speeding up k2.
In2town Magazine is a popular magazine covering celebrity gossip, travel news, lifestyle news, gadget news and so much more. visit http://www.in2town.co.uk

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Are there any tricks to speed up k2

Post by SimonHayter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Only if your host isn't cut up for the job, I've seen your specs. And they look fine. but if the hosting company is overloaded a dedicate server won't do any joy.

seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by seaside man » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 pm

polomintus wrote:Only if your host isn't cut up for the job, I've seen your specs. And they look fine. but if the hosting company is overloaded a dedicate server won't do any joy.
just updated my dedicated server as the old one was running really slow. how do you mean if the hosting companny is overloaded then the dedicated server will not do the job.
In2town Magazine is a popular magazine covering celebrity gossip, travel news, lifestyle news, gadget news and so much more. visit http://www.in2town.co.uk

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Just because you have a dedicated server doesn't mean that the bandwidth you use is not shared with other people on the rack.

seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by seaside man » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 pm

polomintus wrote:Just because you have a dedicated server doesn't mean that the bandwidth you use is not shared with other people on the rack.
hi, can you explain more about this please as this is strange, i thought that the dedicated server is seperate from everything else

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

As you know a dedicated server has dedicated hardware meaning that you do not share the physical components within that server with anyone else in the data center.

This does not mean that you are not sharing Bandwidth, for example.

Lets say they have 48 servers on a rack, each of these servers have a 100mbit network card. Each of these servers go into a 48 1000mbit switch with a 1gb DL/UL link this means that you are sharing 1000mbit across 48 nodes. Which means if every server on that server decided to copy a chunk of files at once your server would only be able to download 20.84mbit each, plus your likely going to get slower ping response on transfers.

I'm not saying this is the case but its a possiblity, you should try testing your server from US to US. Since your server is located in the US and could be congestion on the hops its having to take.

But ask your host if the bandwidth you have is UNSHARED. Chances are because you have a quota bandwidth allowance your dedicated server is on a non dedicated bandwidth switch which is shared and could be a problem :P

A simple Google search with dedicated server shared bandwidth should give you a better idea and explanation of this.

Normally it does not mean you have a dedicated 100mbit that is not shared with other servers on the same network. For example if you have

It doesn't always mean you have a dedicated 100mbit connection.

seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by seaside man » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm

thanks for this, i will ask them now. great advice, thanks

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 pm

No problem, let us know what they say when they get back to you! If they are selling dedicated on shared! Shame on them :P

thanili
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thanili » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am

Unfortunately K2 is quite slow if there are many k2 items, and if these are having alotof extra fields. Especially in the case that in your content templates you are fetching them independently ...

There are a couple of commercial extensions that claims to speed up k2 though i have not thorougly tested.

So it is not really a matter of infrastructure rather than k2 itself!

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”