Why is my web site not displaying correctly?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
doctrout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Why is my web site not displaying correctly?

Post by doctrout » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm

I have had several complaints from viewers lately that my web site (located at http://www.nc-flyfishing.com) is not displaying correctly. FYI, my web master used Joomla 1.5.22 to construct the initial template and then taught me how to use Joomla to tweak the basic template and publish the content.

However, after working on the formatting and content for approximately a year and a half, I spent nearly fourteen hours one day working on the formatting for the Front Page and finally achieved what I felt like was the perfect format. So, I closed Joomla and shut my computer down for the evening. But, when I got up the next day, turned on my computer, logged into my ISP, and brought up my web site, I immediately noticed that the formatting on my front page was highly skewed and thus it did not look at all like I had left it the day before!!! For instance, my Main Menu is now truncated such that my menu titles (which were displaying just fine the day before) are now cut off so that they are not displaying all of the text. In addition, all of the pictures and text published on the front page are shifted to the left hand side of the page instead of being centered like they were before. Also, my Top Menu is now shifted to the extreme right hand side of the page instead of being centered like it was before. Plus, there is now a black shadow outline around my banner picture which was not there before and the dark, solid, background that used to appear behind my text is missing so that all of the text is displayed on top of the weathered board background. In addition, these problems are propagated throughout the entire web site and I am seeing the same formatting issues using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome and I am seeing them on multiple computers.

Consequently, I e-mailed my web master about fixing the problem but he claims that he cannot see these issues on his computer and that he did not make any changes which might have caused the problem. However, I have had several complaints from viewers who are seeing the same formatting issues that I am and my page rank has recently dropped from 3 to 2 because of these formatting issues.

So, could someone PLEASE help me fix these issues? I would greatly appreciate it since I have put far too much work into the site to take it down and reconstruct it using a different program.

Thanks,

Bill Bernhardt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Why is my web site not displaying correctly?

Post by imanickam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 am

I believe that it may have to do with the screen resolution. The screen resolution I am using is 1280x800.

Reviewed the site in various browsers (FireFox - 16.0.2, Chrome - 23.0.1271.95 m, and IE - 9.0.8112.16421) and the site looks OK.

Also, it may be worth checking the browser versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

doctrout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doctrout » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 am

Thanks for the reply. I have tried changing the screen resolution before and I did so again just now but that only fixes a small portion of the problem. While it did center the top menu as well as the text on the front page, the menu still appears truncated, the shadow still appears around the banner picture, and the dark background that used to appear behind the text in the body of the page is still missing. Also, as I mentioned, this problem suddenly appeared between the time I shut the computer down for the evening and the time I started it up the next day. Thus, neither I nor my computer changed the screen resolution while I was asleep! Also, as I mentioned, I am seeing the same problem on my desktop, my laptop, my friend's computers, and the computers at the public library. Therefore, the problem is NOT screen resolution but is instead something that Joomla either has done and/or is still doing.

Bill Bernhardt

okiaso
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by okiaso » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 am

Your website need complete reconstruction please. Maybe contact your webmaster or visit www.websiteleadership.com for assistance.
Thanks.
<<<Meet Me@>>>
http://websiteleadership.com | [email protected] | +2348162672618

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 am

One of the issues is that your content area has a width set to 1230px, this keeps the center content to the left.

Code: Select all

.art-content-layout {
    width: 1230px;
}
Maybe if you set your menu to float left it will not get truncated.

Code: Select all

ul.art-menu {
    float: right;
}
If you develop like I do you make your changes live with Firebug and sometimes you miss a change you made in Firebug but do not notice because the page was not refreshed.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”