What ARE these things???

Discussion and education for beginner / novice programmers interested in embarking on the development process to take advantage of the extensible nature of the Joomla! CMS.
AngelinaC
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

What ARE these things???

Post by AngelinaC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 pm

Blast, i thought I was so clever editing some php files - it SEEMED easy, and I see what I went after - it brought the variable into the template and it shows up.

But on the two pages I've done this to, :eek: I get those characters in the subject field - see if they will show up right in this field:  Yes, they print right, can someone tell me what these are?

Me thinks I cannot walk upright as yet. Could someone assist me out of the slime? I'd like to walk upright! :-[

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re:  What ARE these things???

Post by dhuelsmann » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 am

JimDeLaHunt wrote: Yes, "" is the Byte Order Mark (BOM) of the Unicode Standard. Specifically it is the hex bytes EF BB BF, which form the UTF-8 representation of the BOM, misinterpreted as ISO 8859/1 text instead of UTF-8.

Probably what it means is that you are using a text editor that is saving files in UTF-8 with the BOM, when it should be saving without the BOM. It could be PHP files that have the BOM, in which case they'd appear as literal text on your page. Or it could be translated text you pasted into Joomla! edit windows.

The Unicode Consortium's FAQ on the Byte Order Mark is at http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM .
leolam wrote: language file (not template or index or anything else:

change:
DEFINE('_ISO','charset=iso-8859-1');
to

Code: Select all

DEFINE('_ISO','charset=UTF-8');
and you should be ok

Leo
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

AngelinaC
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AngelinaC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:15 am

Thank you, Leo!

I REALLY appreciate your help.

There are so many parts and pieces to learn from where I'm coming from, graphic background with two classes in java. No php training yet... I wasn't able to get the whole lamp deal installed on my computer, got the apache going but the php was a no go... so I flip back to my old junk - and I mean that in the worst way possible-the definition of the BIG BOX software - and I know it throws in unwanted code - but I've been using it to edit because it makes the code layout in pretty colors - whereas my "notepad" does not do that - so it's been quick to spot what I'm trying to edit.

well, I'll just be looking up how to fix what you said - I do more or less understand it, even if I'm not exactly sure how to change it.... but I'm one more flipper out of the mire, thanks to you! :p

AngelinaC
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AngelinaC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 pm

hummmm....

If I was a language file, where would I be?

In the language editor - it shows utf-8 - which I'd think was pulling the info from this elusive "language file"...

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:13 pm

AngelinaC wrote:hummmm....

If I was a language file, where would I be?

In the language editor - it shows utf-8 - which I'd think was pulling the info from this elusive "language file"...
Depends on the version of Joomla you are using. For 1.0.x it is in language/english.php or whatever language you are using.

For 1.5.x (for English) look in the language/enGB/en-GB.com_user.ini file
Regards, Dave
Past Global Moderator

AngelinaC
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AngelinaC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply!

I believe i found it, but it says as you suggested already:

Code: Select all

if (!defined('_ISO')) DEFINE('_ISO','charset=utf-8');
if (!defined('_DATE_FORMAT')) DEFINE('_DATE_FORMAT','l, F d Y');  //Uses PHP's DATE Command Format - Depreciated
/**
* Modify this line to reflect how you want the date to appear in your site
I only have microsoft web experessions as an editor, and though I like notepad, or something simple, I do like the feature that uses different colors so its easy to spot things in your code. If I download another editor, perhaps it will clear this up? I tried resaving with notepad in the utf-8 - no help - still get these ugly little things all over the page. My client should be ringing my phone any minute... :pop

This is sort of like throwing the keys to your car to a two year old!

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Apparantly MS Expressions Web sets the BOM
The second feature I would like to see if the ability to set whether or not a site uses the BOM or Byte Order Mark on web pages with UTF-8 encoding. While the BOM is considered the best way to make sure the browser knows the site uses UTF-8 encoding it causes problems with PHP and some web browsers. The ability to use Expression Web with PHP is important to many web designers and developers.
Regards, Dave
Past Global Moderator

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:45 pm

You might consider using TextPad http://www.textpad.com/
Regards, Dave
Past Global Moderator

AngelinaC
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AngelinaC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 pm

:D Boffo! Well Done! I wished I had money, I'd send you some!

Thanks mucho! The textpad did it.

Return to “Joomla! Coding 101”