Extended Menu

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
jammy_basturd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Extended Menu

Post by jammy_basturd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:50 am

OK, here is a real challenge for you guys!

I am using one menu, with parent and sub items. The Top Menu module displays the parent items, and I have the sub items displayed in a menu module on the left in certain sections of the website. This all works fine.

Now, what I also what to do is to be able to rollover the top menu, and have another set of sub items be displayed underneath the top menu, based on which parent the mouse is over. Rather like this website (http://www.compassdesigns.net/) - if you put the mouse over 'Home', then 'Joomla CMS News and Tips from the #1 Joomla Blog' appears underneath it.

Possible? :D

doublesam27
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by doublesam27 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi all,

I have been finding a solution for quite a long time now, I am desesperatly lost!
I have the Extended menu working with the Suckerfish Horizontal Template.
I have it working, except that I have the menu in vertical style, and I would like to have it horizontal. I chose "flat list" as menu style, and I don't think the problem is there.
When I look at the source code of the page, I see that the 3 submenus of my menu are located in 3 different Div in the page, instead of having them in the same Div.

The css works fine, i don't think it has something to do with css.
The problem might be there, how can I solve that to have my menu horizontal?

Thanks for your help!

nelsonenzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation / Usage issues

Post by nelsonenzo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 am

I installed the module no problem, and activated it in the module manager. Here are my issues:

1) All my existing menus are of module type mod_mainmenu. How do I convert them to the extended menu type? Do I have to copy the extended menu, rename it to what the previous module was called, and then disable the previous module?

2) When I go to create a new menu, it automatically creates a module of type mod_mainmenu. How can I get it to automatically generate the extended menu module instead?

Thanks!
-Nelson

flamingjim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flamingjim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi there i'm a completly new to joomla

i'm trying to create a top navigation menu that has drop downs i'm using the latest version of extended menu
i have no idea about how to get the sub items to show up i have created the articles but i don't know how to get them to show up under the correct menu item

Any help will be brilliant
Thank you in advance

Jim

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Klementz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 pm

flamingjim wrote:Hi there i'm a completly new to joomla

i'm trying to create a top navigation menu that has drop downs i'm using the latest version of extended menu
i have no idea about how to get the sub items to show up i have created the articles but i don't know how to get them to show up under the correct menu item
Make a new menu item that links to your article. Make the menu item a "child" of another to have it show up as a sub-menu.
http://www.jdanielclements.com (Personal photography site)
http://www.coinzoo.net (World coin collection with animals)

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Klementz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm

The JED says Extended Menu is "1.5 native" but it will not install or work without the legacy plugin turned on. Am I missing something? I am concerned about using it, because apparently "Legacy mode" will not be included in J1.6.

EDIT: Yes, I am missing something. Although I downloaded the most recent version of Extended Menu module, when I went to install, I picked an OLD version out of my folder. Doh! It works fine in Joomla 1.5 native.
Last edited by Klementz on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.jdanielclements.com (Personal photography site)
http://www.coinzoo.net (World coin collection with animals)

Junanagoh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Junanagoh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Help! Cant get my menu to work in IE. It works fine in Firefox and Chrome. I have used this menu on multiple Joomla sites and for some reason I cant get it to work on this one.

Its on Montereywatercolors.com

I have been working at this for hours and finally decided to put the call out ;)

My problem is that in IE the menu shows up but when you move the mouse down on the subitems it disappears. Its impossible to navigate.

Here is my JS

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript"><!--//--><![CDATA[//><!--

sfHover = function() {
	var sfEls = document.getElementById("nav").getElementsByTagName("LI");
	for (var i=0; i<sfEls.length; i++) {
		sfEls[i].onmouseover=function() {
			this.className+=" sfhover";
		}
		sfEls[i].onmouseout=function() {
			this.className=this.className.replace(new RegExp(" sfhover\\b"), "");
		}
	}
}
if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent("onload", sfHover);

//--><!]]></script> 
Here is my CSS

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal ul {
	float:left;
        list-style:none;
        line-height:1em;
        background:transparent;
        font-weight:700;
        margin:0;
        padding:0;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal a {
display:block;
color:#7bfeff;
text-decoration:none;
margin-right:15px;
padding:0.3em;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal a.mainlevel_current-suckerfish-horizontal {
	background: center right no-repeat;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li {
float:left;
padding:0;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li ul {
position:absolute;
left:-999em;
height:auto;
width:11em;
font-weight:400;
background: transparent;
margin:0;
border:#7bfeff 1px solid;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li li {
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li ul a {
color:#7bfeff;
font-size:0.9em;
line-height:1em;
font-weight:400;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li:hover ul ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li:hover ul ul ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li.sfhover ul ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li.sfhover ul ul ul {
	left: -999em;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li:hover ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li li:hover ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li li li:hover ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li.sfhover ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li li.sfhover ul, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li li li.sfhover ul {
	left: auto;
}

#menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li:hover, #menulist_root-suckerfish-horizontal li.sfhover {
	background: transparent;
}

Junanagoh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Junanagoh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Oh and Klementz, what I have done in J1.5 sites is used the JA_Purity template's menu and then modify Purity to look like what I need. JA_Purity has a built in dropdown menu.

What extended menu does is makes your menu an ordered list in J1.0, where you can then build the CSS menu and add the javascript. Joomla 1.5 has this built in, where it now will make your menu as an ordered list.

Try this thread out. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=295837

yeastie99
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Splitting my menu does not work properly

Post by yeastie99 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,

I am using Extended Menu to split the main- and the submenu into two horizontal leftfloating (css) unordered lists (ul). Hm, whatever... Now I have the problem that sometimes the user leaves the "normal" navigation of my site. For example: I implemented a forum where you can use a seperate login. But on this forum's login-page none of my menu-items is active. Which means that even no mainmenu-item is active. And THAT is the problem. If no mainmenu-item is active no submenu will "show up". How can I make sure that a category stays active / that my Submenu appears on ALL pages?

Thanx!
yeast

suncat
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by suncat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:34 am

This is a great extension, but some of the features are not working correctly and there are some strange things happening.

1. When setting the source type to SECTIONS, it fails to update the menu with items/articles added after the extension is installed. The only way to display new articles in the menu, is to re-install the extension. There is another post with a fix for this here, but it requires some editing of the code, and since this "fix" there has been new releases of extended menu!

2. Is there any way to get the BREADCRUMBS module working with a menu created from a SECTION source?

3. After installing this extension, I notice a new menu gets created in my joomla menus called "Support" with some kinda structure. I have no idea why it does this, and where it gets its references from to create this menu. I can delete the menu without any problems ... but it bugs me that it does weird things like that.

4. Unlike ALL other modules, when I click module manager -> new, it does not list "extended menu"(mod_exmenu-j15) as a module. I only have the default module that is created(unpublished) after installation. If I want to create more extended menu modules(which I do), I need to COPY the original extended module from the module manager area.

5. Also, does anyone know why my category links are going to some unrelated article page instead of going to the specific category links page as defined in the module?

Here is a link to the current page with the menu(it's all under construction):
http://i.imagevuex.com/index.php/support/tutorials

Thanks for any feedback!

suncat
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by suncat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 pm

suncat wrote:1. When setting the source type to SECTIONS, it fails to update the menu with items/articles added after the extension is installed. The only way to display new articles in the menu, is to re-install the extension. There is another post with a fix for this here, but it requires some editing of the code, and since this "fix" there has been new releases of extended menu!
Just wanted to notify that I found out about this. You need to "Clean Cache" once in a while to update the menu in regards to new items in section and categories.

ktsixit
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Menu dissapearing after login - Urgent! Pls help

Post by ktsixit » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:27 am

Hi all,
I have successfully installed, configured and customized Extended menu. It's positioned in the left side of my website. There are 3 more joomla default menus in the pages, one at the top, and two at the footer-bottom.

The problem is that whenever a website registered user logs in, the left Extended menu disappears while the rest 3 menus are still visible. I have set in the Extended menu's parameters, the menu to be visible in all pages.

I don't understand why is this happening? Am I missing something?

firstrincewind
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by firstrincewind » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello,
i use extended menu as simple dropdownlist, but want now to change the target of the links in the menu, where can i do it? they shall open in a new page, not the basetarget.
and is it possible to open the links in a popup?

mrque
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrque » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 am

Hi I am really fed up to find a solution. May be because of new to joomla.

Ok , Let me explain what I want.

1. How can change the size of the menu items displayed flat list/vertical list.
2 How can I change the back ground of sub menu item when they displayed in a particular location.

My actual problem , when I used the extended menu with split menu option I am , the sub menu items are not getting immediate eye catch where they got displayed. So if i can change the color of background for them , that gets the eye catch .

Can any one help me how can i do that ?

Mrque

firstrincewind
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by firstrincewind » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:35 am

i now found how to open extendet menue links in a popup, but that works only in all menuetypes- exept select list...
If extenendet menue is a select list always the error " restricted access" appears- for popup and new side. anyone an idea what code to change to make it running?

Zeon100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Zeon100 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:46 am

Hi Guys,
I have the extended menu working fairly well however I'm running into a small snag using the "auto expand sections/categories" feature. Basically what I'm trying to achieve is articles being auto added to the menu depending on their section/category association.

THe drop down with sections/categories is working fine except that articles that should be on the 2nd level (under categories) are ALSO appearing at the 1st level. Anyone got any ideas about this?

Mouse over the "cosmetic" tab to see what I mean:

http://4youholidays.co.nz/index.php/home.html

quiquedcode
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by quiquedcode » Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi people
Does any1 have a link or something for giving an individual specific menu item a different style from the rest of the items? using extende menu of course

Thanks,
@kabeza
Freelance Joomla/CodeIgniter Developer
Home: http://www.beza.com.ar

isd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by isd » Mon May 25, 2009 10:37 am

I am using Joomla 1.5 and Extended menu 1.0.6
Everything works well, but when I validate my page against W3C, I always get this Error:

ID "mainlevelmainnav" already defined

<ul id="mainlevelmainnav"><li><a href="/Joomla/de/test.html ....

An "id" is a unique identifier. Each time this attribute is used in a document it must have a different value. If you are using this attribute as a hook for style sheets it may be more appropriate to use classes (which group elements) than id (which are used to identify exactly one element).

What would be the easiest way / what do I have to change, to get this menu valid?
I think I have to change the CSS File an the list.menuview.class.php in the modules folder.

Tmdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tmdesign » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi i dont know if this is the right place to put this post but i cant find any other place to get support for the extended menu module...

Im working with joomla 1.5
and extended menu version 1.0.6 (build 70).
link: http://www.aaodds.dk
Im not really using this as a menu but rather a way to display a latest-news module.
It shows the titles of all articles within a section as a menu.

My problem is that i want to limit the amount of menu items displayed and cant seem to find it as a parameter.

Have i missed something because it would seem as an obvious thing to have as a parameter?

Hope either Daniel or someone else can help me out here :)

Bullfn33
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bullfn33 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 am

!Joomla/interwebs newb alert!

Joomla 1.5.10
Extended Menu 1.0.6

I just downloaded and installed this mod and got a horizontal menu displayed the way I wanted with categories except I'd like it to be centered across the page. How can this be done? Also, are there any good tutorials for this module? thanks

zarzor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zarzor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 am

I used this modul to extend my mainmenu into horizontal css style is selected, however when I click on the menu item it take me to the item article but the menu disappear is there setting that I'v missed.

zarzor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zarzor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 am

I have figured it ou finaly woof, I had to select the All option radio button in the Menu Assignment section of the extende menue module. just in case some one comes across the same setting.

orangmedan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by orangmedan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 am

help me, i have install the modules, but why it's not work ?
please help me...
what should i do after i install the modules ?

Bullfn33
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bullfn33 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Bullfn33 wrote: Joomla 1.5.10
Extended Menu 1.0.6

I just downloaded and installed this mod and got a horizontal menu displayed the way I wanted with categories except I'd like it to be centered across the page. How can this be done? Also, are there any good tutorials for this module? thanks
I'm still looking for any help on this issue. thanks

monkfunk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by monkfunk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:13 am

having a problem on IE, the menu is going to the right and not dropping down, works fine on firefox, any suggestions?

here is my url with the problem in Internet Explorer: http://[no tiny url]/8UjkI

I have recently disabled the extended menu due to this problem, does anyone know why it would not work right in IE, then I can fix it and re-enable.

thank you

derebo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by derebo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 am

hello all,

just as Zeon100:
THe drop down with sections/categories is working fine except that articles that should be on the 2nd level (under categories) are ALSO appearing at the 1st level. Anyone got any ideas about this?
exactly the same thing happens to me!!! anyknow learned how to remove/hide articles showing in 1st level? as i have been trying to solve it by trial and error with no success.

greetings,

ThizzParty
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ThizzParty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi guys,

I've installed the 1.0.6 module,(There's another module which is "_pathway" - what's this used for?). I've gotten information from http://docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_CSS_D ... enu_module

I'm not clearly understanding the steps 3 & 4.
3. Insert this piece of JS in your template index.php <head> tag, or in java script file that’s called from index.php
Do I literally put the code in the <head> tag, meaning <head ****this is the start code**>content </head>? or within the <head>****This is the start code***</head> tags?

When I put the code within the <head></head> tags, the front end of my site displays a bunch of writing in the header area. It doesn't seem correct to think that I would put this in the <head> tag.
4. Here the corresponding CSS..
I am just as unclear where to put the CSS code. I'm guessing where ever I paste the JS code, directly under the end of it - Meaning:

/* ********* drop down menu Java script code – end **********/
/****************** Dropdown Menu styling starts here **************/

Thanks a lot for your help
Ty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:01 am

Maybe you try once to understand how a webpage is structered:
* http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_head.asp
* http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_head.asp

In this context it does mean the code has to be BETWEEN the starting <head> AND the closing </head> inserted.
NOT INSIDE!

So copy that piece of js.code, make a new (empty) line and insert then.

Easy - or not??

Edit: as for the css this is similiar.

1. Make a new (empty) lime.
2. copy that piece of code (css)
3. insert where you created the new line

There is only one missing with this css.code.

You have general 2 options:

A. Do it as described above
B. Put that css.code into the existing (and already called) template_css.css

If you are doing it as B., everything is okay.
If you are doing it as A., you have to add BEFORE (as first line) the css this:
<script type="text/css">

And AFTER (last line) this:
</script>

See: http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_script.asp
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

ThizzParty
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ThizzParty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi mic,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the steps you've given me, however I still have the black text being displayed in header on the front end of my site. Incase it becomes illegible in the picture, here is what it says; I've attached a sample picture below:
/* ********* drop down menu Java script code - start **********/ // don�t need this line if using .JS file /* ********* drop down menu Java script code � end **********/
Here is the code I currently have set:

<head >
/* ********* drop down menu Java script code - start **********/
<script type=”text/javascript”><!–//–><![CDATA[//><!– // don’t need this line if using .JS file
sfHover = function()
{
 var sfEls = document.menusan.getElementsByTagName(”LI”);

for (var j=0; j<sfEls.length; j++)
 {
  sfEls[j].onmouseover=function()
  {
   this.className+=” sfhover”;
  }
  sfEls[j].onmouseout=function()
  {
   this.className=this.className.replace(new RegExp(” sfhover\\b”), “”);
  }
 } 
}
if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent(”onload”, sfHover);
//–><!]]></script> // don’t need this line if using .JS file

/* ********* drop down menu Java script code – end  **********/
<script type="text/css">
/****************** Dropdown Menu styling starts here **************/
.menusan
{
 /* use these params to positions your menu */
 position: relative;
 left: 10px;
}

.menusan, .menusan li, .menusan li ul { /* all lists */
 padding: 0;
 margin: 0;
 list-style: none;
}

.menusan li a {
 display: block;
 width: 10em;
 color:#FFFFFF ;
 background-color:#BC031F;
 border:2px solid #BC031F;
 text-decoration:none;
}

.menusan li { /* all list items */
 float: left;
 width: 10em; /* width needed or else Opera goes nuts */
 border-bottom:1px solid #ccc;
}

.menusan li ul { /* second-level lists */
 position: absolute;
 width: 10em;
 left: -98%; /* using left instead of display to hide menus because display: none isn’t read by screen readers */
}

.menusan li a:hover {
 border:2px solid #8C7AD6;
 background-color:#8C7AD6;
 color:#fff;
}

.menusan li:hover ul, .menusan li.sfhover ul  { /* lists nested under hovered list items */
 left: auto; /* change is to 10px, 20px, etc for indenting the sub menue */
}
/* **************** Dropdown Menu styling end here ***************/
</script>

<jdoc:include type="head" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/css/template.css" type="text/css" />

<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/css/ie6.css" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

</head>
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, and I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Ty

EDIT - I noticed in that <head> tag, i had an extra space in there. I've removed the extra space, however that didn't solve the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Just remove all /* and_all_between */ and it should work
If not, send me the file and i implement it for you.
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”