Extended Menu

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
okworx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Extended Menu

Post by okworx » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:37 pm

All right I got it. Of course "Active Menu Class" property has to be set for the top level module as well.

Thanks a bunch fo pointing this out as well as for this great component!

ewige Blumenkraft,
oLi

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi, I'trying Extended Menu, looks great but I just cant't get over some things.
Mainly I can't have that active menu class on my page in the top menu (-nav class suffix), I set:

source type:menu
menu style:flat list
expand menu:no
show parent:no
level class: default
active menu class: to a-element (but alsto tried other options)

In the CSS file:
.mainlevel_active-nav {font-weight:bold; color:#FFF;}

What's wrong?

Edit: using Joomla 1.0.3, Extended Menu v.0.3.1
Last edited by pastoweb on Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:02 pm

I guess you also set the menu class suffix... please look at the browser page source to see whether class="mainlevel_active-nav" is rendered... it may be that you need to explicitly style a.mainlevel_active-nav (including the a-tag). Maybe that caused the problem?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Extended Menu 0.3.2

Post by de » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:11 pm

This minor release fixes backward compatibility and extends the patTemplate possibilities. In combination with this menu the templates "suckerfish" and "mountaintop-corners" are available for download.

Download:
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/go/proje ... menu.0_3_2

You can see the added patTemplates in action: http://de.siteof.de/extended-menu-templates.html

changelog:
# fixed compatibility with earlier Joomla/Mambo versions
+ patTemplate variables: LIVE_SITE, SITE_TEMPLATE, LINK_OPEN, LINK_CLOSE, IS_SEPARATOR, TEMPLATE_HOME
+ patTemplate name may also be an absolute path or relative to joomla/mambo root
+ menu templates may overwrite parameters using an ini file (e.g. menu.ini)
+ added patTemplates: suckerfish, mountaintop-corners (horizontal/vertical)
! splited into separate files (/modules/exmenu)

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:25 pm

de wrote: I guess you also set the menu class suffix... please look at the browser page source to see whether class="mainlevel_active-nav" is rendered... it may be that you need to explicitly style a.mainlevel_active-nav (including the a-tag). Maybe that caused the problem?
I set the menu class suffix both in the module cp and in the css style, should be ok, isnt't it?

mainlevel_active-nav is not rendered, this is what I get (home should be active):

HOME
CONTACTS
Notizie
Web link

I'll also go try the new release... :P yum!

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:38 pm

I doubt that the new version will change anything to you (there is really no other change beside what I wrote in the changelog).

Your home-link seem not usual... I would expect something containing option=com_frontpage... what kind of link is it? and did you try to select other menu items?

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Yes I tried also the other links...the home link is that way cos it's just a testin local installation, tried also pointing to com_frontend but it's the same

Edit:
I still have standard mainmenu installed for side navigations, there could be any conflict?
Last edited by pastoweb on Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Hmm and what kind of links are the other menu items? Content links? Or URL-Links?
The Itemid is important... for example for CONTACTS it is in your example "3"... but if the menu item actually has the id "99" it will not be shown as active. For the frontpage Joomla/Mambo uses the first menu item of the mainmenu menu... so if you are using another menu it will not work well with it. (URL-Links will in general not work well unless they have the correct Itemid). But if you are using regular links (e.g. Link to Content Item, Link to Component) it should work.

mikeh00
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikeh00 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:58 pm

I just downloaded the new extended menu .3.2. I have it pubished in joomla 1.0.4. But nothing shows up. Just the heading "extended menu." NO Menu items under it. Nothing. Am i missing something? This is the first ext menu ive downloaded so im not sure if its just this verison or all of them.

I have the settings:

Menu name: mainmenu
Source Type: Ive tried all of them but none of them change anything

Is there any other setting i defintely need to set?

I'm getting really frustrated here. Can someone help me? its at www.hopebarlow.com

Thanks! mike

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:15 pm

mikeh00 wrote: Menu name: mainmenu
Source Type: Ive tried all of them but none of them change anything
Source Type should be the default: "Menu". (Then it uses the menu you specified by "Menu name").
Using the default settings it should render like the default mainmenu module. You could of course try a previous version... if you get an error message you should tell me.

Edit: of course... if you want to make content item links appear of a certain section/category then you should set the Source Type to what you want and you need to give a valid Source Value.
Last edited by de on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi de! I'm trying your menu in a brand new test installation, using  template rhuk_solarflare_ii

Installed your module in user3 to load topmenu, with parameters:

source type:menu
menu style:flat list
expand menu:no
show parent:no
level class: default
active menu class: to a-element

Put this class in the CSS:
.mainlevel_active-nav {background: #c64934;}

Still not working...the menu displays correctly, but no active class printed on page.  I'm I missing something?
???
Last edited by pastoweb on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:40 pm

pastoweb wrote: Still not working...the menu displays correctly, but no active class printed on page.  I'm I missing something?
I guess I realize now more what is the problem...
If you have for example regular content item links (not URL-links) and they are either not present in another menu or you set  Resolve Itemid By Content Item=No then they should be marked as active when you click on them. (That means actually that they get id="active_menu" and class="mainlevel_current"... the parents of the selected menu item - if any - would get class="mainlevel_active" only - or sublevel_* depending on the level within the menu module). You should first make sure that this is working correctly.
Then when you are using it for the top menu and you expect the items also be marked as active when you click on menu items of the main menu they need to be logically connected. That usually means that you use a single menu only... for example the mainmenu menu... and then you are using one copy of the menu module to display the first level and another copy to display the very same menu starting from the second level. That way they are logically connected. (This would also produce a better pathway)

I hope that helps.

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Mmm, let's see if I understood, now:
  • I should build a global menu including both mainlevel items (ie section names) and sublevel items (ie category or content names) for the whole site,
  • insert it in the Extended Menu Module,
  • and then make a copy of it for every internal menu, each with "beginning from level" set to a different level
It's ok?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:02 pm

pastoweb wrote: Mmm, let's see if I understood, now:
  • I should build a global menu including both mainlevel items (ie section names) and sublevel items (ie category or content names) for the whole site,
  • insert it in the Extended Menu Module,
  • and then make a copy of it for every internal menu, each with "beginning from level" set to a different level
It depends a bit on the site/navigation structure...

should your main menu depend on what is selected on is selected in the top menu?
Usually people want that active-menu highlighting for the top menu for sites like here on joomla.org... where you have "Main", "Help", "Forum", ... in the first level of navigation... the main menu would depend on what is selected in the top menu (actually here is no main menu for each top menu).
An example:
  • Main
    • Who are we?
    • Contact Us
  • Forum
    • Search
That would be a single menu... but you could use one copy of the menu module to display the first level (Main, Forum) and another copy of the module to display from the second level on (Who are we?, Contact Us or Seach, Profile - depending what mainlevel item is selected)... so you would need two instances of the menu module (wouldn't change if there were a 3rd level which should also display as the "main menu").

Then it may be that you just want to display a top menu like in the default installation which "reproduces" some main menu items like "Home", "Contact Us" but does not show the complete main menu... and you were just interested that the active-state shows in both - the top and the main menu - the same. In that case there is a problem because the top menu would contain separate menu item instances (which are identified by another Itemid even though they may contain equal content)... the menu module could do some guessing here but it would be a bit more complex and may not work well in all cases (would also take more time).

I hope this makes sense.

potching
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by potching » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi Daniel,

I was wondering when using the Select List style menu, is it possible to get rid of the Submit Button? The links work without it anyway so can we do with out it?

Thanks again for the great work,

potching

Sorry! Just saw now that it is necessary in case JavaScript is not enabled. Apologies.
Last edited by potching on Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:45 pm

potching wrote: Sorry! Just saw now that it is necessary in case JavaScript is not enabled. Apologies.
Yes, that is the reason :-)
Somehow I want to force people into minimum accessibility. And I admit it may not obvious that the button is needed with JavaScript turned off. I may one day add an option to hide the button using JavaScript.

cain2k
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cain2k » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:49 am

Thank you very much for this cool module. I am using the .3.2 version of Extended menu and am unable to get a horizontal or flat list menu to display. Vertical, tree, etc. all work fine. I read in one of the threads (can't keep track of them all) that this was a problem in an earlier version, but thought that it was fixed awhile back. I have tried it on both Mambo 4.5.2 and Joomla 1.0.4 as I am in the process of migrating.

Should this be working? If so, what am I doing wrong. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:38 am

cain2k wrote: Should this be working? If so, what am I doing wrong. Thanks in advance for the help. :)
Yes, should be working (there was a bug in a previous version but in certain situations only)... what is not working? Btw. "Flat List" and "Tree List" are identical except that "Flat List" always displays one level only. The same can be archived with "Tree List" setting "Max Depth" to "0" or "Split Menu" and "Menu Count" to "1".

cain2k
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cain2k » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:19 am

Yes, should be working (there was a bug in a previous version but in certain situations only)... what is not working? Btw. "Flat List" and "Tree List" are identical except that "Flat List" always displays one level only. The same can be archived with "Tree List" setting "Max Depth" to "0" or "Split Menu" and "Menu Count" to "1".
I am trying to create a horizontal sub-menu for the main menu. If I select Vertical in the menu style, the code looks like this:

Extended Menu

News FeedsBlog

The menu is visible and works.

If I select Horizontal in the menu style the code looks like this:

Extended Menu

No menu at all. What am I missing?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:15 am

cain2k wrote: No menu at all. What am I missing?
Seems like I added a new bug with a similiar cause... congratulation, you found it ;-)
You could grab and replace exmenu.class.php: http://developer.joomla.org/integration ... m=exsy1002
(Setting "Split Menu" and "Menu Count" to "1" with "Tree List" should still get you a "Flat List" in the unfixed version... the problem appear for sub menus only)...
As usual I'd suggest to use a list menu style and use CSS to make it appear horizontal.

cain2k
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cain2k » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:18 am

Glad I could be of service. ;) I don't know how to code, so QA is probably as close as I am going to get. I am still learning my way around CSS, so it was quicker to download the patch. And it worked.

Many thanks.  :)

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi de! Back again on your module, it seems I'm getting it to work, finally!

Your module is really great, flexible and fully featured, but this means also that there is a lot to learn about it...  ;)

Now, I have two extended menu modules showing up te same menu:
topmenu - flatlist horizontal top menu, showing first level items
leftmenu - treelist showing both first and second level

When I click on a sublevel item in leftmenu, it gets correcly the sublevel_current class, while his parent gets themainlevel_active (also in the topmenu).
But when I click on any first level item it doesn't get the active state (no special class added to the page code, only "mainlevel"). What's wrong?

Also, the tooltips in the admin panel are not working in version 0.3.2

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:01 am

pastoweb wrote: Your module is really great, flexible and fully featured, but this means also that there is a lot to learn about it...  ;)
Yes, I would like to better group the parameters or hide non-advanced parameters until one feel ready for it :P
pastoweb wrote: Now, I have two extended menu modules showing up te same menu:
topmenu - flatlist horizontal top menu, showing first level items
leftmenu - treelist showing both first and second level

When I click on a sublevel item in leftmenu, it gets correcly the sublevel_current class, while his parent gets themainlevel_active (also in the topmenu).
But when I click on any first level item it doesn't get the active state (no special class added to the page code, only "mainlevel"). What's wrong?
Hmm... I could not confirm this... to what value is "Active Menu Class" set?
pastoweb wrote: Also, the tooltips in the admin panel are not working in version 0.3.2
Which Joomla/Mambo version are you using? (You mean the tooltips for each parameter, right?)

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pastoweb » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 am

Active Menu Class is set to a element, but I also tryed the other options. The mainlevel gets the active state only when I click sublevel items, not when I click the mainlevel itself.

I'm using Joomla 1.0.4 (Yes, I mean tooltips shwon on mousover in parameter titles)

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi Daniel,

I've read this thread over and over, but didn't solve my problem :-\.
On http://nestorkring.nl/joomla/ I use one mainmenu wit submenu-items. In the topnav it is replaced by a copy of the extended-menu module, in left column by another copy of the extended-menu module. The menu is split and this works perfect.
However the topnav items lead to the same items as the fitrst item of the submenu. Now I want that first item to be highlited too when a topnav-item is cliked on. I understand from this thread that thi sis possible, but I can't find out how.
(The links all show to categories, not items. I could change this if necassary. The topnav-item 'highlighting' links to a content item)

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:13 pm

pastoweb wrote: Active Menu Class is set to a element, but I also tryed the other options. The mainlevel gets the active state only when I click sublevel items, not when I click the mainlevel itself.

I'm using Joomla 1.0.4 (Yes, I mean tooltips shwon on mousover in parameter titles)
Hmm... and you are sure you look at the output of the module instance where you set the "Active Menu Class"? Could you maybe give me some access so that I could check it out by myself?

I am also using Joomla 1.0.4 and Firefox... and I am able to see the tooltips... do you get a JavaScript error? does the problem exist with my module only?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:28 pm

TomT wrote: Hi Daniel,

On http://nestorkring.nl/joomla/ I use one mainmenu wit submenu-items. In the topnav it is replaced by a copy of the extended-menu module, in left column by another copy of the extended-menu module. The menu is split and this works perfect.
However the topnav items lead to the same items as the fitrst item of the submenu. Now I want that first item to be highlited too when a topnav-item is cliked on. I understand from this thread that thi sis possible, but I can't find out how.
(The links all show to categories, not items. I could change this if necassary. The topnav-item 'highlighting' links to a content item)
Hi Tom,
If I understand you correctly you have in your menu manager multiple menu items which you would like to highlight equally at the same time (the mainlevel and first sublevel menu item). This is unfortunatelly not possible yet because they have a different Itemid. I will probably add such feature I just don't have a clear concept... your example is good to show that the result could be ambiguous: when making a decision based on the active menu item (for example showing the sub menu items of that)... what is then the active menu item when they both should be treated the same? If I decide to just add something to highlight it qually but not treat them the same logically it may lead to confusion that clicking on each item may result in a different behavior... but maybe one night a great idea comes to my mind.
Daniel

Btw. thanks for the donation :-)

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:41 pm

TomT wrote: Hi Daniel,

One thing which I forgot but may work is... to use a URL-link to the sublevel menu item as your mainlevel menu item.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:18 pm

That won't help, highlighiting and highlighting sub already have the same url.
The submenu items also have the mainlevel class assigned, while I set the parameters to main- and sublevel. What should I do to get the sublevel class assigned to the submenu items?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:00 pm

TomT wrote: That won't help, highlighiting and highlighting sub already have the same url.
Hmm but for example your "Contact" link is: http://nestorkring.nl/joomla/index.php? ... &Itemid=49
While "Contactgegevens" has almost the same link but the Itemid 50. If now your mainlevel menu item would be a URL-link to the URL with the Itemid=50 then this will probably work.
TomT wrote: The submenu items also have the mainlevel class assigned, while I set the parameters to main- and sublevel. What should I do to get the sublevel class assigned to the submenu items?
There is currently no way except using a separate patTemplate file (not recommended for this purpose)... but you can use a class suffix instead.
The reason for this is that the mainlevel is referencing to the visual appearance and should not change just because you would display other source (another menu item, a certain level, etc.). So mainlevel means it is the first level within a menu view instance... or the level within a list (ul/li) if you want... I hope that explains it a bit and hopefully the class suffix is sufficient for your purpose.

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”