Need Recomendation for a Calendar that actuall WORKS

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
ybot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Need Recomendation for a Calendar that actuall WORKS

Post by ybot » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:59 pm

I have read the rave reviews for joomla calendar components like Gig Calendar and iWeb Cal, yet neither of these seem to work on my installation of Joomla

Gig Calender would not even install, I kept geting some sql error on Installation, and it seems that I am not alone with this problem that seems not to have a solution, so I went to plan B

PlanB - after reading the rave reviews on the jooma extension site, I figured I woulld give iWeb Cal a try. I did the install and I put the link on my menu  (this was looking great I was finally getting somewhere) I had my Google calendar all set up and available ( I was rocking )
Then I wen to test my link and got this message
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /mnt/w0514/d03/s22/b024d3f8/www/ian/components/com_iwebcal/class/iWebCal.inc on line 151

Back to the web I went to see if a solution was out there .... first search of google I got a Hit .... problem was the solution was from a swiss website and my german is not that good (only took 2 years of it 20 years ago in high school)
Then I came to this forum to find someone else had the same problem (and it was in English) but to my dismay the answer they were given by the creator was this was a section of code from the original author and they did not have a solution.

Now Here I am blabering out my problems to you

I hope someone out there can recomend a fix for this error on iwebcal (i really like the concept of this using the Gmail calendar) or a fantastic calendar component for joomla that is easy to install and allows me to share my appearance schedule with other.

ledzep

Re: Need Recomendation for a Calendar that actuall WORKS

Post by ledzep » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 am

Take a look at:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

It's fairly basic but rock solid.

zANavAShi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by zANavAShi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 am

ledzep wrote: Take a look at:

It's fairly basic but rock solid.
This was my choice also, after trying many others and having no success (gigCalendar, despite positive reviews was absolutely awful and riddled with errors). Whereas, Events Calendar installed smoothly, has clean layout and does the job perfectly for me.

Good luck with your choice :)

ybot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ybot » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:00 pm

I actually finally went with JEvents calendar after unsucessfully trying a few other callendars.

It is not as good as what the Demo of Gig calendar is, but it seems to somewhat work.

Hopefully some one from gig calendar will find a fix for the installation problems and I can one day install it

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 pm

scwilder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scwilder » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Tried JCal, JEvent, and Event Calendar.
They all have their pros and cons.

Event calender is only set to the 24 hour settings, so those who's not familiar with military time will have a hard time with this. Besides that, I really like because it's clean out of the box. This is the one that I want to use because of the no messing around with the CSS on my part but because of the 24 hour format, I had to move on. Oh, to add/edit events you have to do it through the backend/component area.

JCal is wonderful, has a lot of features, but some of the settings are goofy. For example I can't get rid of the start time for an all day event... for example if it's Christmas day all day long, it shows a time. Also, on mine, the JCal monthly view runs off the side of the template. So I have to use the flat view, but my client likes the flat view better so it works out. I couldn't find a template I like, so I had to mess around with the CSS and I still can't figure out why my month view is going off. JCal forces you to give a description. Sometimes it's just obvious where you don't need a description, so I had to input something so that I can submit it.The repetition isn't as good as JEvent, but it does the job for the most part. JEvent has exceptions, which is nice. Add/editing is through the front end. Really easy for the end users to manage it. This might be a bug or my system, I haven't messed with it yet, but if I submit and lets say I forget a category, it'll error out, "database error" it would say, and I couldn't submit that event. So I'd have to create a fake one, lets say something called "test" and it'll go through ok. Then I have to go in and edit it and it'll work ok. My database looks fine, so not sure on what the issue is.

JEvent is not very attractive out of the box, so you have to hack it soon after you install it. This is one thing that I'll work on once the site is going - it's ok now, but not very pretty. I love the features though. It's very powerful and you have a lot of control. Plus it's not annoying when you have to edit an event. JCal makes you go through an approval process. Maybe there's an off button somewheree.  Front end editing and has a nice help menu too.

You can see examples on my site. JEvent is under Ministries and JCal is under Calendar and the Upcoming Event on the right column. Now I do like that feature in JCal for the upcoming event. I like having the text/description, not just the title.

That's my review on the calendar apps. I want to use Gig calendar but it looks like they're working on it.
Love Joomla, but still a newbie

TStone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TStone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:47 am

I'm quite fond of Webcalendar:

http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php?topic=Download

I use the latest development version, and are updating about once a week, as I want to use the latest features. It is a separate application from Joomla - but they have a few bridge files to sync users between Joomla and Webcalendar.

I use Joomlas wrapper component to display it within my template, and the wrapper module to display a mini calendar. Their "upcoming.php" are displayed as an php-include through the iClude module: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
(Because I needed to hack it somewhat to suit my taste. Btw. very well documented code).

It's possible to let Google Calendar subscribe to it. Also to import iCal-feeds. Also possible to 2-way sync it with Mozilla Sunbird & Lightning. Multiple users.. etc. etc. A good (but messy) trouble shooting forum.

I'm quite happy with it.

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:56 pm

Does anyone know of a good commercial calendar for Joomla?  One that looks professional like JCal Pro, but without the bugs and and other problems described?  I rather pay for it if there is not a good free soluition.
Last edited by domdeez on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 pm

domdeez wrote: Does anyone know of a good commercial calendar for Joomla?

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, this definately looks like a possibility.  However, I am a little concerned with how much time it might take to integrate Thyme with Joomla, even though they have good documentation and support. 

Ext Cal 2 looks like it might be the best free option.  It seems like the default set-up for extcal2 is to grant visitors the ability to add an event from the front end. 

Can someone who used ExtCal 2 let me know if this feature can be easily disabled?  I only want backend administration for the calendar.  I don't even want the add an even button to appear on the minical or full cal. And if this is possible, how does the backend administration work?  Can joomla admins and managers make changes to the calendar through their existing login?
Last edited by domdeez on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tradewind
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tradewind » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi,

I'm using ExtCalender2 on my site and found it suitable for my needs. It is possible to make "Add New Event" -button to disappear so that only admins have a chance to add an event. It is done via frontend by login as an admin... not via backend. Look ExtCal Component Settings at backend. There's plenty of options how to show your calender.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:54 pm

I've integrated thyme on several sites, it is not hard. But I just do the simple integration.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm

domdeez wrote: Does anyone know of a good commercial calendar for Joomla?  One that looks professional like JCal Pro, but without the bugs and and other problems described?  I rather pay for it if there is not a good free soluition.
A new version of JCal Pro is now available. Most of the bugs have been fixed, and some great new features added.
Last edited by vdrover on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

Testing123
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Testing123 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:53 am

You might want to have a look at easyphpcalendar
Do you want to be able to associate a content item (artlcle) with more than 1 category in Joomla!?
Please add your voice to the following thread: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=580&t=525316

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”