Podcasting Suite, Beta 3, released

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
ksherms
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Podcasting Suite, Beta 3, released

Post by ksherms » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:22 pm

bulldog wrote: I'll send you a PM with an example...  My guess is that your module isn't visible.  Did you publish it into a location that your template doesn't support?  E.g., my template doesn't support the 'bottom' position.
Yep, you were right again.  I didn't realize I had to publish the module to a menu in order to find the link.  Thank you for all of your help!

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:58 pm

well done mate! thank you for all the efforts and time.
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

http://www.joomlaconsultancy.net

trapper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trapper » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:48 am

I have installed the podcast suite (beta 3) and it seems to be working well except that when I click on your podcast link it only shows the XML source... it doesn't "move beyond" to the formatted page (as happens with the Syndication links).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

On further investigation it seems to be the feedcreator.class.php file. If I revert to the olderfile (frrom Mambo) the formatted page comes up... with the later version included with beta 3 it doesn't. However, if I don't use the later version I assume other iTunes specific things won't work.

It sounds like something Joseph will have to look at.

Cheers.
Last edited by trapper on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:18 pm

trapper wrote: I have installed the podcast suite (beta 3) and it seems to be working well except that when I click on your podcast link it only shows the XML source... it doesn't "move beyond" to the formatted page (as happens with the Syndication links).

On further investigation it seems to be the feedcreator.class.php file. If I revert to the olderfile (frrom Mambo) the formatted page comes up... with the later version included with beta 3 it doesn't. However, if I don't use the later version I assume other iTunes specific things won't work.

Cheers.
I'm not quite following you with the "move beyond" part. Are you expecting to get a file download, an XML page, or something else?
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

trapper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trapper » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:25 pm

jlleblanc wrote:
trapper wrote: I have installed the podcast suite (beta 3) and it seems to be working well except that when I click on your podcast link it only shows the XML source... it doesn't "move beyond" to the formatted page (as happens with the Syndication links).

Cheers.
I'm not quite following you with the "move beyond" part. Are you expecting to get a file download, an XML page, or something else?
When I click on a Syndicate link, eg. RSS2.0, the source XML page flashes momentarily (< 1 sec) before being replaced with a formatted page with a white-on-blue heading, 2 links over to the right ("Update" and "View Source") and the actual content nicely formatted below. On another site I checked (http://www.okemoschristiancenter.com) the same thing happens when I click on the Podcast link... the actual XML source flashes momentarily before being replaced by a nicely formatted page. If you click the 'View Source' link at the right of the header on that page it reverts to showing the XML source.

The 'problem' I'm seeing is when I click on the Podcast link it shows the XML source but doesn't automatically "move beyond" to the nicely formatted page.

Cheers.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:12 pm

trapper wrote:
jlleblanc wrote:

Cheers.
When I click on a Syndicate link, eg. RSS2.0, the source XML page flashes momentarily (< 1 sec) before being replaced with a formatted page with a white-on-blue heading, 2 links over to the right ("Update" and "View Source") and the actual content nicely formatted below. On another site I checked (http://www.okemoschristiancenter.com) the same thing happens when I click on the Podcast link... the actual XML source flashes momentarily before being replaced by a nicely formatted page. If you click the 'View Source' link at the right of the header on that page it reverts to showing the XML source.

The 'problem' I'm seeing is when I click on the Podcast link it shows the XML source but doesn't automatically "move beyond" to the nicely formatted page.

Cheers.
This may have something to do with your browser. I pulled up the podcast link in both IE and Firefox and it rendered the XML file with color formatting. Is this the formatting you're talking about?
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

trapper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trapper » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 pm

jlleblanc wrote:
trapper wrote: When I click on a Syndicate link, eg. RSS2.0, the source XML page flashes momentarily (< 1 sec) before being replaced with a formatted page with a white-on-blue heading, 2 links over to the right ("Update" and "View Source") and the actual content nicely formatted below. On another site I checked (http://www.okemoschristiancenter.com) the same thing happens when I click on the Podcast link... the actual XML source flashes momentarily before being replaced by a nicely formatted page. If you click the 'View Source' link at the right of the header on that page it reverts to showing the XML source.

Cheers.
This may have something to do with your browser. I pulled up the podcast link in both IE and Firefox and it rendered the XML file with color formatting. Is this the formatting you're talking about?
Yes... that is the formatting I'm talking about. I've tried in various browsers and had a friend try... it just shows the actual XML source, but not the formatted page. I'll email with a link to try (the page is not publically available yet).

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 am

Beta 4 is now available for download: http://www.jlleblanc.com/blogcategory/0/

For upgraders, please read the notes very carefully!

revkang
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by revkang » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:53 am

this looks great..
though i may be missing something (i'm new to podcasts)

my module has the podcast link... when i click it, or a user clicks it.. what is supposed to happen?
also, when publishing links in  articles... what is supposed to happenwhen someone clicks on it ?... i just see the enclosure tags.

i guess i don't have the fundamentals.. are users supposed to cut and paste stuff to their itunes player?

thanks,

bulldog
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bulldog » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 pm

Yep.  The link should generate an XML enclosure feed.  The link is then cut & paste into podcast clients.
Typically, the link is also submitted to a variety of podcast directories and to iTunes.
Bulldog

mikonaiko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikonaiko » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Joe,

I recently download your podcasting suite v. 1.1.

I installed the module, mambots and components. I created a category. And publish the modules...
When I click the image on my frontpage-home. It gives this error message

Fatal error: mime_magic could not be initialized, magic file is not available in /home/vanj/Documents/web/fort/joomla/components/com_podcast/podcast.php on line 341

Can you please explain how I can solve this error, thank you!

mikonaiko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikonaiko » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 am

Can i ask detailed instruction how to properly configure the Component podcast settings,

thank you!

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:34 am

mikonaiko wrote: Hi Joe,

I recently download your podcasting suite v. 1.1.

I installed the module, mambots and components. I created a category. And publish the modules...
When I click the image on my frontpage-home. It gives this error message

Fatal error: mime_magic could not be initialized, magic file is not available in /home/vanj/Documents/web/fort/joomla/components/com_podcast/podcast.php on line 341

Can you please explain how I can solve this error, thank you!
Hmm... the component is supposed to check to make sure the mime_magic library exists, but I've never heard of a misconfigured mime_magic library. If you're still having issues, you can try commenting out that line. It tries to determine your file type, defaulting to MP3.

webman911
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by webman911 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:16 pm

hey, all -

first i wanted to thank joseph for creating his podcast suite component!  :)

i also put together a little tutorial for installing and configuring the component and setting up syndication and iTunes - there are lots of bits and pieces of info on the forums, but i tried to make step-by-step instructions to help folks use this awesome tool.

the tutorial is located here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,138839.0.html.

one more thing: i wanted to point out to trapper about the XML showing up in your browser window when you click on the podcast module - you must have a podcatcher installed that the module can "feed" the podcast subscription info to. otherwise your browser doesn't know what to do with the XML information.

if you have a podcatcher (i happen to use juice - you can download at http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_ ... amid=20476 - but there are lots of others available), your browser window probably won't go anywhere when you click the podcast module link, at least mine doesn't. instead, it'll call up your podcatcher and ask if you want to subscribe to the feed, which is what you want to have happen.  8)

so, hope that helps, and thanks again, joseph!!
Author of In Her Name, "a grand story of love, power, sacrifice, and good vs. evil..."

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks! I'll link back from my site.

webman911
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by webman911 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 am

joseph -

awesome, thanks!  8)
Author of In Her Name, "a grand story of love, power, sacrifice, and good vs. evil..."

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”