Edit Module from Front End

This forum is for extensions for Joomla! version 1.0

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jeffhoneyager
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Edit Module from Front End

Post by jeffhoneyager » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

There's one piece missing...

I want to allow a user with manager access the ability to edit a module's parameters from the front end. I don't want them to have to learn how to navigate the back end.

Here's what I did.

I went into the back end > Modules > Site Modules > (selected the target module) now in edit mode.

Copied the URL then exited the module edit.

Created a wrapper menu item with "special" access and pasted the URL into the Wrapper Link:

Logged with a username that had "manager" rights.

Clicked on the wrapper menu item.

Poof! I could edit the module and the changes took effect - almost there...

But, when I saved and exited the module edit screen, I was taken to the Modules > Site Modules listing.

What I want is to (upon Save-and-Exit or Exit-no-save) exit the wrapper and return to the home page or return to the page they were at when they selected the "Edit Module" menu item.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Peace & Joy,
Jeff Honeyager
http://narrowpathhosting.comn
http://jeff.honeyager.com

samhnky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Edit Module from Front End

Post by samhnky » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Jeff,

Just curious if you ever figured out a solution to this. I'm trying to setup a website for a church, and wanted to restrict them to the front page, however I need to give them access to edit the modules...

Thanks,
Sam

janjan32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janjan32 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Jeff,
I need to do this exact same thing. Have you figured it out? thanks! :D
Jan

ctdesign87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ctdesign87 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:35 am

I too would like to find a solution for this.
Feature requests anyone?
Graphic & Website Design
Red Meets Blue Design Branding Agency
http://www.redmeetsblue.com.au

leolll
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leolll » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 am

The way DotNetNuke allows you to edit articles and modules from the frontend is something I envy as a Joomla user :eek: . Joomla's backend organization adds a completely unnecessary learning curve for clients. Any one know how to enable true frontend editing in Joomla?

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

I also would like users to edit content from the mod position - have found a good mod include_content_item that places an article, referenced by its ID#, right into any module - but it only can be edited from the front end. Seems like this could be a good place for some php wizard to start for some further development piggybacked on this mod...

jackie7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jackie7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:41 pm

error in prev letter! It CAN't be edited from front end, only from the Back end. Sorry.

mikepritchard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikepritchard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi guys,
mod_contentitem will actually allow front end editing. At least the version i have will.
But.... i couldn't find the version i have on the developer's website now.

It looks like the version i have was from June 2006.

On my version, at the very bottom there is an option to Allow Edit. The default is "no" , if you change it to yes you can front end edit.

Here is his site : http://diebesteallerzeiten.de/blog/joom ... em-module/

Now, if i could only find something like this for 1.5.....

najibx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by najibx » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 pm

So no solutions for this? It's troublesome for those non technical people to login to backen to edit the module (which is just text)

mikepritchard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikepritchard » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Jajibx,
I never found one. But what i am doing is putting in a link to itself in the article.

So, within the part of the content item that shows, add a link to the article. Link it back to itself. Then when you want to edit the content item on the front end, you click the link, it opens the article by itself, and then it can be edited from the front end.

It's a low tech solution. But it's working for me,
Mike

RickGlaser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RickGlaser » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:58 am

There has got to be a solution, I have been having the same problem with no luck for about 2 months. Any chance you found a slution in the past 8 days?! :laugh: If, and when you do please post....
http://www.highrankingseo.net Florida Internet Marketing
http://twitter.com/RikGlaser
Follow Me!

jaystarkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jaystarkey » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 pm

A little pricey at $19 for 3 months, and apparently no access to updates after that, but here is something I found that does what you want:
"Easy Module Texter"
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 50/details

Stroganoff
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Stroganoff » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 pm

edit: I found this thread via Google and didn't notice at first it's in the old 1.0.x section. My post applies only to Joomla 1.5.x. - I never tested it in 1.0.x

Well guys I'm able to use the current version of the Module "mod_placehere" (a.k.a. Content Item Module) for displaying an article inside a module and editing it from the frontend like any other article.
Some of the module settings don't make much sense to me though. I found out that the edit button won't get displayed with the wrong setting "Template" (one of the last parameters of mod_placehere).

Here is a working sample of my settings:

And that's the result:

Anyway, a standardized way to edit all parameters of a module from the front-end would be very much appreciated. You can't solve everything neatly with mod_placehere (which needs some care on itself).

deerfoot
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deerfoot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:36 pm

A posting above mentions "article" and it triggered the following solution.

In the Category Manager, make a Category specifically for one module, for example, Committee Members. Then create an article listing the committee members and selecting the just set up Category. Next go to the Module Manager and create a new module from mod_newsflash, select the Category you just made and it will pull in the article. (It will pull in all articles using that category, but you'll only have that one.) Use a separate Category and mod_newsflash for each module to be updated from the front end.

Finally, in the User Menu create a new Menu Item > Article Layout and link it to the same article. Now a logged in user can edit the article.

denisetrethewey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by denisetrethewey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 am

Deerfoot. Genius! Worked like a charm. Been trying to figure out how to do this for a while now.

jasoncstyle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jasoncstyle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Deerfoot

i am new to joomla (using 1.6) and have been experimenting with your solution. i have the article showing up properly, but the edit button will not show up to edit the article.

i think the final step may be the issue, but am not sure.

i went to menus -> menu manager
selected the menu items tab
created a new item
i selected the article under the required settings section

when i selected the new module, i chose Articles - Newsflash

any thoughts?

dina_hart
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dina_hart » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Mine works great except that I cannot view any attachments. The text is viewable, but not the attachments. I am using the ATTACHMENTS extension so users can attach documents using front end editing.

Any ideas?

TFH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TFH » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi
I realize this is an old thread, but have the same problem as several people here. :eek:
I followed the steps from deerfoot on how to create the newsflash module to be able to edit the article inside the module, but it doesn`t work, the edit symbol does not appear. Any new ideas or solutions?

I have several low tech clients and I am desperate to find a solution on how to edit modules from the front end..

mediagirly
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mediagirly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm completely disgusted with this question, I can't believe it's been this many years and there isn't a better way to approach this problem. I've been asking this question for like three years, and it's hard to imagine that the developers haven't figured out a better way to handle this problem. Who wants to let their client in the backend? Not me!

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 am

Anyone who is posting in this thread in the context of anything other than Joomla 1.0 is posting in the wrong forum.
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

bigrich66
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bigrich66 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:08 am

Hi all

I know this is in the wrong forum now we are 1.7 but after finding a solution I felt I had to share it with you here.

This method will allow users to edit modules from the front end and was done using 1.7 but should apply to earlier versions.

1. Install and publish this plugin

http://www.nonumber.nl/extensions/artic ... b=download

2. Create a new category called 'Module Edit'

3. Create a new article say 'ArticleABC' and give it the category above. Type in your blurb/text.

4. Create a new module called 'ArticleABC Module' based on a 'custom html' type

5. The plugin above will provide a button called 'Insert Article' Press it and insert the article 'ArticleABC Module'

6. In your User Menu create a new menu item based on an article category blog linked to the category 'Module Edit' and call it 'Module Edit'

8. Repeat the above for any other modules you want to add

Now when your users log in the front end they will see a link on the user menu called 'Module Edit' When they click on this link they will be presented with a list of articles that can be edited in the front end but only appear within the modules you have created above.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 am

@bigrich66 - Completely inappropriate for this forum, that solution is not suitable for Joomla 1.0 as it does not work for Joomla 1.0. Please post it elsewhere where it will be useful. Even when you know the post is in an unsuitable place you still post!

There are still many 1.0 users and all you do is make this a less useful resource for them.
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce

bigrich66
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bigrich66 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 am

Sorry about that, I have posted to the correct place below

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=653535

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

Righto!
Yereverluvinunclebert

StrategyStar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by StrategyStar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm

bigrich66 - I really appreciate your commenting in this section. For searchers who did not type a joomla version number in their search.. it was quite refreshing to find your post in a forum on the problem topic. Glad I didn't have to keep searching for a solution.

beededea - thanks for nothing. you offered nothing of value here.

bigrich66
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bigrich66 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Many thanks StrategyStar

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:30 pm

@strategy star - grow up. I answer joomla 1.0 queries whenever I can, these forums are deliberately designed to make it easier for the right people to find or give the right answer. You have only 2 posts to your name, start learning the rules and stop trolling from the outset.
Yereverluvinunclebert

wjs001
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wjs001 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

beededea wrote:@strategy star - grow up. I answer joomla 1.0 queries whenever I can, these forums are deliberately designed to make it easier for the right people to find or give the right answer. You have only 2 posts to your name, start learning the rules and stop trolling from the outset.
What a happy welcoming Joomla forum contributor. We all know this is not the forum for the answers given but cut people some slack. I thought this was a community, not a regime. Cheer up :D
http://www.wayneswebworld.co.uk
Middlesbrough Web Design
Teesside Web Design

BeLlSiBuB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BeLlSiBuB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanx for the solution Rich! Saved another Joomla 1.7 user bags of time! 8)

tonyworship
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tonyworship » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am

To edit modules on the front end of Joomla! You can do it easily with this tool
"Easy Module Texter for joomla 1.5x and 1.6x"

http://b-elektro.no/

INFO:
Add and edit text, files, images, etc... in any module positions directly from FRONT!
The "Easy Module Texter" is a module that let users add/edit text in any module position by clicking on a «edit» button in the right corner of the module. When the button is pushed, the user will be able to add/edit content in the current module, using a selected Joomla editor plugin. Just like editing articles.
It is also possible to only edit/add plain text in modules (using no editor plugin).
The «Easy module texter» also provides access control based on user groups or individual users,which means that you can decide which group/groups or individual users, who will have access to add/edit text (or other contents) in the "Easy module texter".

Demo:
http://b-elektro.skj.no/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=24

NOTE: to use the demo, simply select a username to log you in. then click on one of the menu items at the top with the name that you used to login. and you'll see the classic paper/pencil icon above the module!

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

hope this helps!

Return to “Extensions - 1.0.x”