I have taken over a Joomla site created by a 3rd party. Due to a serious falling out, we can't go back to them with questions. I'm fairly new at this, but learning a lot.
It's a fairly simple site structure, with two templates - one for the home page and one for the other pages. The latter seems to be at issue here.
Ostensibly the page title that appears on the generated pages should be taken from the title that's listed for the article that makes up the page, but when I change the latter, it doesn't show up on the former. We have another Joomla site where this actually does work, and I don't know what's wrong / different with this one.
The snippet of template code that sets the various non-home page titles (and content) is as follows:
<a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] ?>"> <h1 id="page-title"><?php echo $this->title ?></h1></a>
<jdoc:include type="message" />
<jdoc:include type="component" />
I know this is the correct snippet because when I change $this->title to a string constant, that constant does appear as the new title on the generated page. However, when I change the article title, no change appears on the generated page. But I don't know where ELSE $this->title could be pulling the title from.
I've done some searching on the Web for the proper way for a template to set the page title, and found two variations of $this->title. I've tried both variations: $this->getTitle() and $this->get("title") . Both gave the same results, so it appears they are just syntax variations for the same thing.
We do have SEO friendly URLs turned on, and currently the SEO alias is set to the same string as the title. I tried changing the alias too, but it seemed to have no effect whatever.
The site is http://stenocalltowerstorage.com
, and the page whose title I'm experimenting with is http://stenocalltowerstorage.com/units
. In the article edit screen I change the title from Units to something like Description of Storage Units, but still the generated page shows Units.