How to add a new module position.

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: How to add a new module position.

Post by GameDaddy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 pm

First, Insert your Template Position in the TemplateDetails.xml like this:

Code: Select all

<positions>
      <position>left</position>
      <position>right</position>
      <position>top</position>
                [i]<position>PIV</position>[/i]
</positions>
Then I would Insert a new <div> here in the Index.php for the Panorama image viewer

<div id="ja-wrapper">
<!-- BEGIN: MAIN NAVIGATION -->
<!-- BEGIN: HEADER -->
<div id="ja-headerwrap">
	<div id="ja-header" class="clearfix">
		<h1 class="logo"><a href="/index.php">Direccion Central de Inteligencia Delictiva - DINTEL</a></h1>
             <div id="ja-usertools">
    		  <a href="http://www.dintel.gov.do/webmail">WEBMAIL</a>
    	    </div>
             <div id="Image-Viewer>
                 <jdoc:include type="modules" name="PIV" /> 
             </div>
             <div class="clr">
             </div>

</div>
Finally you need to go to the Panoramic Image Viewer Module and publish that to the PIV template position, you do this in the control panel by going to:

Extensions > Module Manager > Panoramic Image Viewer Module

Click on the module to edit it.

Under the Details here you'll find a

Enabled: Yes
position:PIV

listbox listing all the positions you can publish this module to. Make sure the Panoramic Image Viewer Module module is published to the PIV position. Make sure the module is enabled by changing the Enabled to Yes.

Apply and Save your changes...

Preview your work.

vgeorge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vgeorge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Hello all,

im trying to copy modules user1, 2 and 3 (modules below header) as user 6,7 and 8 after the main body of template (before footer and next to right module).

at the index.php of template i have added code with quote

<!--BEGINN WRAPPER MIDDLE -->
<div id="main_wrapper" >
<div id="main_wrapper_center">
<div id="content">
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" id="user_module">
<tr>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user1')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user1" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user2')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user2" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user3')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user3" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
</tr>
</table>

<div id="content_main" class="clr"><?php if($this->params->get('showComponent')) : ?><jdoc:include type="component" /><?php endif; ?></div>

</div>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" id="user2_module">
<tr>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user6')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user6" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user7')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user7" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
<td><?php if($this->countModules('user8')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user8" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></td>
</tr>
</table>
<div id="right"><?php if($this->countModules('right')) : ?><jdoc:include type="modules" name="right" style="rounded" /><?php endif; ?></div>
<div id="clear" class="clr"></div>

</div>

</div>
<!--END WRAPPER MIDDLE -->

and added module names to xml file

Do i have to do anything else besides that???

Thanks for any help

GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GameDaddy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 pm

vgeorge wrote:

Thanks for any help

You should be ok with this, so long as you remember to choose the new module positions (user6, User7, and User8) to publish to when you publish your articles.

vgeorge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vgeorge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 pm

GameDaddy wrote:
vgeorge wrote:

Thanks for any help

You should be ok with this, so long as you remember to choose the new module positions (user6, User7, and User8) to publish to when you publish your articles.
Hello GD and thanks for the reply

you mean that after that i have to put a new module at the position from the module manager?

I have set a module to the user6 after the changes but i cant see the module at the frontpage :'(

vgeorge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vgeorge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm

GameDaddy wrote:
vgeorge wrote:

Thanks for any help

its ok my fault its working!!!! :D :D :D

vgeorge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vgeorge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Just one more question... Is it posible the 3 new modules to stay always at the bottom of site and not after the last article?

GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GameDaddy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:14 am

Yes, it is possible and easy! I would create a new <div> just above the footer<div> and beneath the Content_Main <div>. Or, in the Index.php you could also place the user 6,7 and 8 modules as the first lines of code at the very top of the footer <div>.

mediadan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mediadan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Where is the templateDetails.xml file? I cannot find anything in Template CSS or HTML edit that says this or index.php. I too want to create new module positions.

vgeorge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vgeorge » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 pm

mediadan wrote:Where is the templateDetails.xml file? I cannot find anything in Template CSS or HTML edit that says this or index.php. I too want to create new module positions.
the index.php is the edit HTML in the template manager, the xml and index.php is at the folder of the template you use

mediadan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mediadan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks

I was told to look for something that said templateDetails.xml file.

mediadan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mediadan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 pm

All this I'm reading is a BIG help!

But...where is that index.php file? I just have template.css.

lipoftruth
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lipoftruth » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 am

mediadan wrote:All this I'm reading is a BIG help!

But...where is that index.php file? I just have template.css.

the index.php is the main html file. when you go to template manager, milkyway, and then "edit html", the file you are editing is the index.php file.

mediadan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mediadan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

Ahhh... Thank you!

newageroman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by newageroman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread! I just added a new new feed scroller position where the old pathway was and then used new CSS coding to position it correclty and get the color correct. Awesome explanation! thanks!
New to Joomla! and loving it!
Seeking Employment in the South-East
http://www.bprater.com

Nirfet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nirfet » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 pm

:pop

Cyzlak
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cyzlak » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:00 am

thanks to everyone in this fantastic thread, i have now added a shoutbox at the top of the footer in my template.

http://www.rf-clan.com - check it! :D

I have one final question. The frontpage modules all have titles, if you choose 'show title' to yes in the module manager. Names like 'main menu' 'user menu' and so on appear above the actual module like so:

Is there a way to add that type of formatting to custom module positions?

kcomvid
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kcomvid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 am

I have been successful in adding a new module position to my Siteground template (j15-101), using the additions to the Template Details XML file and the index.php file. I am using the "rounded" style. (Joomla 1.5)

However I need to tweak the position, background color and size of the new module position (I have called it "custom". The module name "custom" does show up in the template.css file, but when I add css rules to it, nothing happens. I am pretty familiar with CSS, and I am using Dreamweaver to edit the CSS files.

Can you edit a new module position? If so, is it done with CSS?

Thanks for any help.

filmlover77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by filmlover77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

GameDaddy wrote:First thing you'll want to do is go to the templateDetails.xml and add your new position. Simply insert a line about here in the code:

<positions>
		<position>left</position>
		<position>right</position>
		<position>top</position>
                <position>mynewpositionhere</position>
</positions>
Next, you'll want to go to the Module Manager and map one of your modules to your new position. Just as an example, in the Rhuk Milkyway template the Newsflash module is mapped to the top position... which in that template is inserted at the top of the index.php file next to the logo which also is mapped to the Top position in the Index.php file.

Just to clear up this confusion, With the Rhuk Milkyway template, the logo and the top module is actually loaded into the template by the index.php with the following css & command:

<div id="logo"></div>
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="top" />
</div>
When you go to Extensions > Module Manager and look for the top module, you won't find it. You won't find it in the plugins either. This is because the Top module is actually part of the Joomla! core code.

The css for the div id logo loads the actual logo image from the template.css style sheet while the newsflash items are loaded by the top module, which is invisible being a part of the Joomla! core and all.

Instead of using css to load our logo, we are going to replace that Top module with a completely new module that only displays our logo graphic... ready?

First use the media manager in the control panel and upload the image you want to use for your logo. Next we are going to create a Module that holds that image.

Extensions > Module Manager > New

choose the Custom HTML option by selecting the radio button.

Title: topper
Position: mynewpositionhere

Scroll down a bit until you see Custom Output... go to the bottom of that. See your Image button? Click it. This will load the media manager and allow you to place an image in the module, in your case, choose your logo.

Insert your logo by clicking the logo file and clicking insert from the upper right of the now opened media manager. Apply and Save your changes.

Finally, we are going to add the code that serves up the logo image with your template, Open up the index.php file

Extensions > Template Manager > YourTemplate > Edit > EditHTML

and add the following code where ever you want this module (and your logo) to appear:

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="topper" />
Apply and Save your changes. Preview your work!

If you are actually doing this using the Rhuk Milkyway template for example, you need to remember to disable the newsflash module and remove the Jdoc statement that loads the Top module.

Cheers! ;)
VERY GOOD!!!
ONE BIG QUESTION. Will this work with JA teline iii ? Which file of Teline III do i place this in?

hamedhm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hamedhm » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks alot :))

vasyb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vasyb » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Hello,

I am having some difficulties adding a custom html code in the header of my joomla website. I'm using Ja Teline III template.
After selecting the header position in the module properties and saving nothing happens.

Can you help please?

werewolf2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by werewolf2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I was looking up in some turtorials becouse I want to add new modules positions. In all of the turtorials I was looking for, the modules are created only left or right. I WANT TO CREATE NEW MODULE POSITION, LOCATED IN CENTER OF FRONT PAGE. But, I don`t know where I need to put the appropriate tag in HTML doc. For example: in rhuk_milkyway template, to create new module position below breadcrumb position, you need to put the appropriate tag below <div id="whitebox"> tag. When you do this, you will have new module position located left. I WANT TO KHOW WHERE I NEED TO PASTE THE DIV TAG IN ORDER TO HAVE NEW MODILE POSITION LOCATED IN CENTER OF THE FRONT PAGE.

marde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marde » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:57 am

I added a new module position just above the breadcrumb position in rhuk_milkyway template with the following code:

<div id="npos">
<div class="npos-class" >
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="npos" style="xhtml" />
</div>
</div>

If you do a preview on this you'll see it stretches all the way across. I've put slideshow module in this position and it appears in the center.

werewolf2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by werewolf2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:45 pm

These days, I created new module position using appropriate code, for my new module slideshow_pro. I want this module to be shown in front page, with resoluton 500 pixels width and 100 pixels length. But, when I implement this module in the desired position, I realised that I can`t make any comants to it. The code, that I used for creating new module position is OK. When I implement this module in some other position (created by Joomla) this module works OK. I think, maybe I need to do some changes in the code, specify the width and lenght of the module.

Help?

ne14dirt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ne14dirt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 am

Fist off I am using Joomla version 1.5.20 and milky way template.

I want to add a new module position below syndicate and above debug. I'd like to have said module position centered. I initially was just going to use the debug position but I can't seem to figure out how to get it centered as it's positioned to the left. I have looked at a bunch of posts but they seem to me to be scattered and disorganized. I followed Joomla documentation but it simply didn't work. I added a “syndicate3” in templateDetails.xml file. Syndicate3 now shows up as an optional position it doesn’t however show up when entering http://www.mysite.com/?tp=1

I then attempted to add <jdoc:include type="modules" name="syndicate3" /> to the index.php but my problem may be that I am unsure where to add it. I have added it to line 158 but I can’t get it to work. I also am unsure if this line of code with successfully connect the mod to its actual position on the template

If anyone can lend a hand here I would be grateful.
http://www.pokeroso.com
Purveyors of Brick and Mortar Poker

ne14dirt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ne14dirt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 am

Okay, I solved my problem via some permissions that weren't set correctly on the server end.
http://www.pokeroso.com
Purveyors of Brick and Mortar Poker

Yakogrimm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Yakogrimm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Friends,

I understanded how to add module postion, but this is my problem:
1.When i try to move it where i want it moves only in the gray background.

The css code of the module:

#adlinks {
height: 200px;
width: 120px;
margin-left: 400px;
margin-top: 800px;
overflow: hidden;
color: none;
display: block;
background: red
}

As You can see i wrote a lot of perameters but none of them helped me ...

2.By the way module with :

margin-left: 400px;
margin-top: 800px;

margins only from the explorers sides, so when you come to my website from smaller monitos it will be in another place, hot to make absolute position of it or something

girathryn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by girathryn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for all these posts. They have been very helpful and I am almost there adding my own new module position!

The issue is that I would like to have my module be at the end of my page above the green bar, but still nestled between my left and right module positions, NOT below them.

See my site: http://thealternativebride.com. I've published a custom HTML module in the position. It just says THEALTERNATIVEBRIDE.COM (all in caps). As you can see, the new position goes beneath the left and right positions. I would like it to be between them where that white space is.

Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much,

~Kathryn

superman007
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superman007 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:53 pm

how do I access TemplateDetails.xml please? total noob... I really want to create a new module position.

thanks guys

niveditajain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by niveditajain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 am

how do I access TemplateDetails.xml please? total noob... I really want to create a new module position.

thanks guys

same here?

superman007
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superman007 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am

niveditajain wrote:how do I access TemplateDetails.xml please? total noob... I really want to create a new module position.

thanks guys

same here?
Ok i figured it out, wasnt gunna say anything until u asked but i accessed it through my ftp. I use net2ftp.com and then select the template you are using and templatedetails.xml should be there mate. U can do lots with this website. hope this helps. msg me if it does not.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”