invalid token during logging in

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
ggoldmeier
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: invalid token during logging in

Post by ggoldmeier » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am

Well I've tried almost every solution I've come across and nothing has fixed this issue.

I've noticed that if I access my site using the full url: http://www.oldwarriors.org I don't have any log in issues what so ever. Although if I go to the forums and then click the home link I am taken to http://oldwarriors.org and I am no longer logged in any more on the front end, but still logged in on the forums. If I simply correct the url and add in the www. and refresh it shows me once again that I am logged into the front end of joomla.

Now if I attempt to log in on the front end using the url without the www. I don't get logged in. So I try again with my username and password and now I get the invalid token issue. For whatever reason this happens I don't know and I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out, but all I need to do is use the www. and everything works great, however all my links point back to the root and the url showing without the www. causing me many months of grief and the 500+ registered users to the site hell as well. Its very embarrassing to say the least.

Like said, I've read countless threads and tried every solution I can get my hands on, even reinstalled the site several times along with new databases and nothing seems to work for me. :(

SallyR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SallyR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am

timothy.stiffler wrote:Check out this thread here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=251273
But where or in what file do I make this change?

ggoldmeier
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ggoldmeier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 am

I really wish I knew. I searched through my login module files for the string in question and never found where Masterchief was talking about to make the change.

Can anyone help us out with this?

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:03 am

I don't think the Joomla gurus are even aware there's this much problem or they'd be over here looking into it.

I used to have problems with invalid token errors but I removed ALL older Joomla programs from my site and it stopped happening. I haven't seen that error in ages. I tried to select only the newest stuff, things that had never been in the Legacy version.

You might try deleting your login module and make a new one. Sometimes when I have login problems (doesn't matter what kind of login problems) I delete the module and start over. That helps. I don't know why. Seems to clear out some kind of garbage tho because it usually works.

Many programs come with a custom Joomla login but I don't use them. You can make a new login module by going to MODULES, then click on NEW and then select LOGIN from the list. Enable the new login module with the appropriate parameters.

It's surprising how much a new login module can help.

SallyR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SallyR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Hmmmm....you know now that I think of it, I have a new logon module for JomSocial installed on my joomla and do not have the problem with that. But I use the standard logon in a module that is more compact for the right side of my page. The JomSocial logon is on the front page and I don't want that to be front and center over my site articles. I will check into this with Jomsocial.
Here is my website so you can see what I mean - for the main page I use standard joomla logon and when you click on "OFC Social" tab above, it goes to JomSocial and yes I have never seen this problem with token error.
www.officialfanclub.net

Thanks!!!!!!!!

prilly wrote: You might try deleting your login module and make a new one. Sometimes when I have login problems (doesn't matter what kind of login problems) I delete the module and start over. That helps. I don't know why. Seems to clear out some kind of garbage tho because it usually works.

Many programs come with a custom Joomla login but I don't use them. You can make a new login module by going to MODULES, then click on NEW and then select LOGIN from the list. Enable the new login module with the appropriate parameters.

It's surprising how much a new login module can help.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Follow my instructions to DELETE the small login module and make a new one. (I'm assuming your small login module is not a custom login of some kind.) Go to MODULE MANAGER. And, FIRST, make note of the parameters in the one you delete, so you can make it again. You need to put the new module in the same Position. Make note of what menus it is assigned to. Make note of what pages it is redirected to.

Some login errors are generated because the page it's redirected to does not exist. I've also seen some errors caused by JFusion, which can be maddening if you don't set JFusion just right. I love JFusion but it's fussy for setup.

Anyway. Delete the "generic" Joomla login module and made a new one. Click on NEW, then the next page select Login, then the next page will take you to the parameters page for the new module where you can set Position, Menus and Redirects. You can also add some custom HTML if you want. Making a new Login Module might be very beneficial for you when you see your options.

I can't say whether it will fix anything to make a new login module, but I honestly would not be surprised if it does. This has solved problems for me on several sites.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:27 am

The force people the www. site you can set the live_site var in your joomla configuration.php file.

Or you can create a .htaccess rule (google for many solutions).

Or if you want logins to be valid on both the www. and other domain without the www. apply the following joomla hack:
http://www.jfusion.org/index.php/docs/d ... mla_cookie

Thanks, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 am

Thank you, Marius. I was wondering about that. My server manager includes the following statement in the .htaccess file. So this is probably what you mean?

And there are most likely some variations:

Code: Select all

AuthName MYSITE.com

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^MYSITE.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.MYSITE.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ http://www.MYSITE.com [R=301,L]

ralfeez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PLEASE: invalid token during logging in

Post by ralfeez » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:25 pm

I have a hard time believing that Joomla staff understands that this is still an issue. When faced with wide spread issues in the past, they have been very quick to take notice and get a patch out. I have this problem of invalid token during login. It makes the website unusable for people who are not used to seeing the error. If I log in again and again, then eventually I can get in. What can I do to solve this? Even a temporary fix would help. It is driving me crazy.
PHP Built on: Linux box484.bluehost.com 2.6.28-10.7.intel.E1000E.BHsmp #1 SMP Thu Aug 13 21:45:18 MDT 2009 x86_64
Database Version: 5.1.44-log
Database Collation: latin1_swedish_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.13
Web Server: Apache/2.2.14 (CentOS) mod_ssl/2.2.14 0.9.8l DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.15 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Mamni ] 05-November-2009 04:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13

thank you,
Ralph
http://www.Nnvent.com Innovation, Design, Develop - web design, web applications, custom extensions

piercerides
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by piercerides » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:45 pm

If someone could just tell us the file that masterchief is refering to in /viewtopic.php?f=199&t=251273

then we could all be fixed

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 pm

He is referring to the actual login module, I believe. You will find it under
modules/mod_login/tmpl/default.php

That's another reason why MAKING your own login module (as I described above) can help settle the problem. Because the current version of Joomla will make a login that has the current code. I just checked it to be sure. It's near the bottom of that file.

-----------------------------

I got an invalid token error on one of my sites last week, so I went to check the .htaccess file on that site and sure enough, it didn't have the url variations in it. So the suggestion Marius made, above, is also very pertinent for this issue. Marius is one of the developers for JFusion (lead developer I believe?), so I think it's very kind of him to make that suggestion here and help us out.

ralfeez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ralfeez » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:45 pm

None of these fixes have helped me. Well maybe Marius' fix slowed down the occurrence, but it still happens regularly.
thanks,
Ralph
http://www.Nnvent.com Innovation, Design, Develop - web design, web applications, custom extensions

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 am

Have you enabled Joomla cache? As this can sometimes remember old tokens and cause the "invalid token" issue.

Thanks, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

ralfeez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ralfeez » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:13 am

I have run the website with and without the cache. This is also true for several of my websites, so this cannot be a unique problem just to me or one website. I poured through hundreds of posts on this forum and everyone is claiming the same issues. I think that if the fix was easy, then someone would have solved it already. I will continue to try new fixes just in case.
thank you,
Ralph

swords
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by swords » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:35 am

mariusvr wrote:The force people the www. site you can set the live_site var in your joomla configuration.php file.
Thanks, Marius
After this fix was applied I still had the problems while using the standard main menu. Next step I took to remedy the problem was to add the "http://www.mysite.com" to the configuration.php-dist file (just to be sure). Then I went to to the database under the jos_menu table and edited it using phpMyadmin. You should see the problem url links in there. Just edit them by adding the www. and you should be fine. Any new menu items added should have the www. already included as you have made the change to the configuration.php as stated above.

Thanks Marius for a great starting point!

Hope this helps some or all of you. It works great for me so far.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 am

I was reading about Joomla 1.6, and I did notice some comments (somewhere, not sure where), that they aim to be rid of the invalid token issue once and for all with Joomla 1.6 ... So I was glad to see that.

LUCKATONI
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by LUCKATONI » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm

After two hours lleyendo lead this great forum, and trying out different things I read, finally decided to download another module to access, and I now work correctly. Despite being happy, an application as big as joomla, can not afford mistakes you are after so long. The real truth is that this well put out there who said that too many cooks spoil the broth. Good luck to everyone and try to [censored] the shortest path as mine.

By the way the module was applied this: http://www.solojoomla.com/descargas/mod ... _1.5.8.zip

Thank you very much to all and forgive for my English translation, since I am Spanish.

Cherchez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cherchez » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 pm

FWIW: I fixed this by disabling the cache. (Global configuration | Cache settings | Cache = No) Obviously this is not going to be acceptable for many.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 pm

When I was looking at the notes for Joomla 1.6, I noticed a comment about the login token. So it appears they've done something to the next version that will possibly fix the problem for good. I hope so.

Cherchez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cherchez » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 am

prilly wrote:When I was looking at the notes for Joomla 1.6, I noticed a comment about the login token. So it appears they've done something to the next version that will possibly fix the problem for good. I hope so.
At http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_1.6_Development_Status there is a comment about Localising invalid token message by die('Invalid Token') will be replaced by jexit(JText::_('JInvalid_Token')). This didn't sound promising to me.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:51 am

Yeah, maybe not. It does show they are aware of the problem anyway. :P

hkyklai
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hkyklai » Sat May 08, 2010 4:52 am

With reference some articles (eg. http://www.rajputbrotherhood.com/joomla ... oomla.html), the "Invalid Token" may be due to improper closing of the internet browser when we are still under logged-on status. As a result, the cookie in the computer may have conflict with the program when we relaunch the internet browser and try to log-on again.

Thus, I have cleared the cookie of Joomla site in my computer (i use Firefox and clear cookies at Tools>Options>Privates>Remove individual cookies) and then I can log-on successfully.

To avoid similar problem (although it is difficult to ask our clients to do so), it is better to log-out before closing the internet browser.

Hope it can help (since this "Invalid Token" may come from other reasons.)

vintagedon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vintagedon » Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm

My site (http://cookingtexasstyle.com) is running 1.5.17 with memcached, and was having the same problem. When I deleted the login module, per a suggestion in the thread, and re-created it through the New Module function, the problems seemed to go away, although I have not had an opportunity to widely test it yet. It seems to be related to cache issues, as mine only started AFTER I installed memcached on my server and started using it to cache my Joomla installations.
As Always,
Don

http://CookingTexasStyle.com - Read Texas Food, Real Texas Style
http://DisplayPortMonitors.com - Eyefinity and DisplayPort Monitors

effigy11
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by effigy11 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Everyone.

For the record, I changes my Session Settings in Global Configurations from Database to none.

And now the error disappears - Although I am unsure of the implications of doing this...

I guess time will tell.

Cherchez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cherchez » Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 am

I mentioned earlier that I had fixed this by turning off caching. Since the login module is never cached anyway this was a bit puzzling, and obviously it is preferable to have caching on for performance reasons.

I then read a good explanation of the problem here and did as it said - I stopped loading the login module within my article (using {loadposition user1}) and simply loaded the login module outside of the component area (in my case, position right). This fixed the problem for me. :)
So now I can leave caching on and users can log in without the "invalid token".

dave37
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave37 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 am

Solved my problem with the Invalid Token by trial and error, fix for me was to turn off plugin System Cache, and all worked ok.

sandy_sheva
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sandy_sheva » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi, I have idea to SOLVE INVALID TOKEN :
1. Go toSite > Global Configuration > System > Session Setting
2. Here : you can adjust more small value minutes (I use 5 minutes for my purpose)

If you want to working with long time, use long time AND NEVER CLOSE OPEN/ NEW TAB webpages windows
If you want to working just in time, use more less time.

Invalid Token is common appear for login based service
:p

http://www.klinikrobot.com
http://www.klinikrobot.tk
http://forum.klinikrobot.com

Fabbritzio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Fabbritzio » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:30 pm

I have the same problem, random "invalid token" when i log-in.

Usually a cleaning of joomla cache and browser cache do the trick. But, i'm not sure how many users are doing that, so it's possible to loose some users because of this error.

nedge2k
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nedge2k » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am

Customers have reported this error to me but I have been unable to replicate it. One customer even experienced it during a successful login.

My site does not use system cache but does use browser caching set in htaccess and js/html compression (gzip and minify). I've decided to add the following to my login template to see if it changes anything:

Code: Select all

header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0");
Obviously, the only way i'll know it's worked is if I get no further reports but the issue seems very random, only had a couple of people mention it but still getting orders through the site so obviously not affecting everyone. Seems to affect existing customers logging and not new customers registering.

Also, quick note to all those suggesting tweaking browser settings to fix the issue, this is NOT a solution to the problem. It may fix the issue for you personally but what about others who use the site - ie customers.

dperikic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dperikic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 am

I managed to temporary resolve the issue by setting global config > system > session settings > session handler to none (that didn't help) than set it back to database. works in IE8 Firefox and safari for now :-\

Will post the result after few days of testing

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”