invalid token during logging in

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: invalid token during logging in

Post by SpenceK76 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 pm

EDIT: Not fixed, still have the same issue. Sigh.
EDIT: Fixed I think - see bot of this post.

This error, is WITHOUT DOUBT, one of the most horric, frustrating errors I have EVER HAD.

Sorry for the caps - but christ. I have tried everything - all cache is turned off. Nothing works, I just randomly keep getting this error.
I'm using J1.523 with VM 1.18 using the VM login module.

JRequest::checkToken() or header('Location: http://www.mydoman.com/'); does not work.

Please someone from the dev team, someone help me out here. I'm spending so much money (hours - working for free, because I built the site and its not working) on this. What can I do?

Ok, I think I have found a fix for this - if you are using the VM login module anyway.

Add this to the VM file below.

Code: Select all

<param name="cache" type="list" default="1" label="Caching" description="Select whether to cache the content of this module">
         <option value="0">Never</option>
         </param>
File which is: modules/mod_virtuemart_login.xml]

Ok that did not work. This is a joke, seriously.

I tried this:

You need to edit the file  mod_virtuemart_login.php  in the directory  /modules/mod_virtuemart_login

On line 54 remove the code  $validate = JUtility::getToken();  and replace it with  $validate = JHTML::_( 'form.token' );

Then on line 196 remove the code  <input type="hidden" name="<?php echo $validate; ?>" value="1" />  and replace it with  <?php echo $validate; ?>
And I still get the error.

pilota57
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pilota57 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:13 am

Hi,
my experience with "Invalid Token" is:
I have this message if one new user try to register after installed phpstats on the website.
I removed the phpstats php code at bottom of index.html and the registration works fine again.

I hope this can help someone

Bye

michaelthomsen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michaelthomsen » Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 am

I have noticed that the invalid token is activated if a user either double clicks on the login button (they shouldn't but many user don't know that they are not supposed to double click a button) OR if for some reason they have browsed away and using the browser back button to get back to the log in page and tries to log in again.
This happens in Chrome but not in Firefox.
None of the solutions re cache etc works for this problem.

any suggestions?

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 am

You are correct Michael, this happens to my users as well. I have had to turn off all system cache'ing options; thus my site is now a lot slower. Its either a slow site, or this awful bug, which has not been fixed. With cache'ing turned off, I do not get any issues.

michaelthomsen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michaelthomsen » Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 am

I have turned off both the system and the template cache, but the invalid token still persists if a user double clicks the login.
I think this is a major problem for the useability experience and can kill a site.
Any other suggestions??

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 am

What J version you running Michael, and what login module you using - I'm using the VM login module; specifically the mod_virtuemart_login module. I'm using J 1.5.25 / VM 1.1.8.
I make sure I have the system cache (from the plugin page) turned off, then Global > System Cache turned off as well, and then various parts of my template are not cached.

This is an annoying problem, for sure - basically its ruining my site; customers are just not purchasing goods because the site is slow, but enabling cache causes errors. The client is not happy, I have said later version of Joomla have (supposedly) fixed this issue, and she should upgrade, but she does not want to pay out for the upgrade.

On another note - make sure you have Admin Tools installed, got some good features like clearing out cache etc.. Might make a difference.

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

What I normally do, is create a backup site - using a sub-domain name, the use Akeaba backup to back my live site, reinstall this on my sub-domain, then implement various plugins, and test things. I assume you have this setup already, so you could try using a different login module, or remove all other non-essential plugins/modules and test.

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am

Think I have solved my problem with this error.

Here is a list of things to check/try.

Check tmp directory has 755 permissions – was 705 – some improvement but still there
o System Cache plugin – turned off use browser caching – immediate testing suggests this might be the fix
o Global Config – Session Handler to None – already in place
o Deleting and recreating login modules
o Resolving mixed URLs with
¿ setting Live Site to www. and reversing Server alias on Control Panel, and then going via phpMyAdmin to jos_menu table to correct old links, or
¿ Add to htaccess
AuthName MYSITE.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^MYSITE.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.MYSITE.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ http://www.MYSITE.com [R=301,L]
o Ensure that global and component configs have identical site URLs (ie with or without www.)

However, this hack seems to have fixed the issue for me. It removes the invalid token check;
open: components/com_user/controller.php

look for:

function login()
   {
      // Check for request forgeries
                JRequest::checkToken() or jexit( 'Invalid Token' );
replace with

function login()
   {
                JRequest::checkToken() or header('Location: http://www.yourdomainname.com/');
This was copied from another post. I have logged in, pressed back, logged out - (after enabling Cache settings in global config - which is what caused my Invalid Token issues), logged in multiple times and not got the error.
Hope this helps.

Jarod545
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jarod545 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:31 am

i had the problems with Invalid Token i solved it by turning off the system cache

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am

Jarod545 wrote:i had the problems with Invalid Token i solved it by turning off the system cache
You are right, even though I applied the above hack and tested the site 20 times - added over 100 + products, created new users, pressed back button - after two weeks the invalid token error was still there. Even with the above hack that removed the actual code, it was still there. This is an awful, awful bug. Going to have to upgrade to 2.5 I think. I cannot have system cache turned off, my site is just too slow.

craion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craion » Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Moving to Joomla 2.5 will not solve the problem, I had just posted this...
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=616&t=721241

As explained there I think it is related to the way the URL looks to forms, maybe someone can help us a bit more...

:D

SpenceK76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpenceK76 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Ugh, just ugh. Well, thanks for letting me know. I was planning to see the release notes to see if they have, finally, figured out exactly what is causes this serious bug. Please keep this post updated with your results.

craion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi: I think I got a function that could solve this, you can see moe details on the URL of my last post...

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p2823881

Hope it helps, greetings from Argentina...

:)

STUCKSHUTTER
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by STUCKSHUTTER » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Sad to say, I now have it. Did not change a thing, edited an article and moved another to a different category. Logged out. Now, Invalid Token message blocks getting in to a 1.5.26 site.
Is there no fix for this madness or a way to at least clear it from cpanel so the site can be logged into?
With this long litany of problems with the feature, it seems like the present cure may be as bad as the original problem it was intended to fix.
I've cleared cookies, session variables, turned off left off etc and still am blocked for the admin login.
Any advice for some solution is welcome otherwise it looks like a day or two of trying various attempts to find one of the proposed code fixes that may solve the problem or not, even temporarily.
Joomla Team, this one should get escalated based on the sheer number of posts here.

tappy52dog
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tappy52dog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi guys, the original "forgeries" invalid token fix mentioned by another here also fixed my issue. Actually I added it to other controller files in another component such as in my Adsmanager installation and the errors went away there too!

bladerz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bladerz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 pm

ethan6 wrote:I went back to "System - Cache" and under Plugin Parameters, I select NO for browser caching.
Marc

Go to Plugins -> System - Cache. If it is enabled just select No for browser caching under Parameters. The problem is gone (Joomla 1.5).

Thank you, Marc!

Plunk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Plunk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I had 'invalid token' when I had 2 databases mixed.

So, my database contained 2 databases with different prefix.
1 database was from Joomla 1.5
and the other one from Joomla 1.7.

And somehow in my configurationfile was the wrong prefix.
I made an error somewhere in the upgradingprocess and mixed up configurationfiles, databases and prefixes.

Check if you also mixed things like that up.
Once I start asking questions, I usually find the answers myself.

russelblair
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by russelblair » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 am

have you looked at this thread already? http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=251273

Blipblop75
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Blipblop75 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Now it´s working for me!!!! It was the .htaccsess file!!!

My Web hosting company fixed it!

I had 2 problems:
  • 1. Invalid Token
  • 2. Very slow update in browser when change were made in back end.
I contacted The host about the update issue.
When I made a change in back-end it took like 3-5 minutes before I could see the change.

Token issue, I have tried everything without any improvement.
I could not even log-out, the button was disabled.

My host (Surftown) told me that their server Litespeed had an built-in cache function that could be de-activated by applying these rows of code in the .htaccess file in the domain folder.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule (.*) - [E=Cache-Control:no-cache]

My update issue disappeared, but also my invalid token problem too!!!

bhupendra25190
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bhupendra25190 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:26 am

Have you ever seen a blank page with the an "invalid token" message? Joomla is displayed this massage in various situation like while you try to loggin twice or when you session expire and you reload a page.

With this simple but useful plugin you can intercept this message and display what you want as a Joomla system designed message.

Download & run the plugin for free on all your Joomla website.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... eous/23925

Chacapamac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chacapamac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Somebody find a solution Yet.

I have that problem with a 1.5 administration

If I put the htaccess to rewrite to www - It work

If I put non-www — What it was before (and working) I cannot log to the administration.

I try almost everything under the sun and, sadly nobody came with a well explain complete solution...

REVISION OF THE POST
My htaccess was redirecting to the non-www version of the site and my configuration.php “Live_site” was the www version....

Changing the “Live_site” to the non-www version fix my invalid token and access problems in the administration
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

rdkmedia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rdkmedia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 pm

I experienced this problem:

If user attempts to login/out twice. ie has 2 tabs open on the same browser then they receive the invalid token message.

This may make sense to a techie as Joomla understands the request to login/out has has already been made however users of the site complain about this especially when a new tab is opened automatically by clicking new registration link via email.

The workaround that fixed this for me is similar to danielbprobert suggestions, but guessing for a later version of Joomla. Im using 2.5.11, can be applied as follows:

edit the file in your Joomla installation directory under:
/components/com_users/controllers/user.php

search for string "JInvalid" to return results similar to:
JSession::checkToken('post') or jexit(JText::_('JInvalid_Token'));
or
JSession::checkToken('request') or jexit(JText::_('JInvalid_Token'));

Replace this line with:
JSession::checkToken('post') or header('Location: http://www.mysite.com/');
or
JSession::checkToken('request') or header('Location: http://www.mysite.com/');

accordingly where "http://www.mysite.com/" is your domain.

This will redirect the user to your home page instead of displaying a non user friendly error.

brentwilliams2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brentwilliams2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 pm

I tried davidosullivan's approach. I removed the text so that it wouldn't show any error at all. However, it didn't solve the fundamental problem. Now let's say that I'm gone for more than 15 minutes so my session times out, the site doesn't automatically log me back in. (Or at least it doesn't seem to). So I try to log in like normal. But it still shows me as logged out. But if I open up a different page in a new tab, suddenly I'm logged in. So at least for me, it didn't work, so I'm now trying to simply turn off browser caching and see if that helps.

vejuma71
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vejuma71 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:27 am

I activated the browser "System Cache" and it started having issues, after reading this post I realized that I didn't need to have that activated and that my log in issue started after I activated the browser system cache In my plug ins. After deactivating it my Google chrome browser went back to normal. I hope this will help someone and you don't have to rig any code.

Aryentain
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Aryentain » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:12 pm

danielbprobert wrote:this may not work for all but just spent days trying to resolve this and the best i can come up with is dirty hack that seems to resolve the problem or well it did for me..

open this file: components/com_user/controller.php - take a copy as a backup in case it causes any issues on your site

find this code:

function login()
   {
                JRequest::checkToken() or jexit( 'Invalid Token' );
replace it with this:

function login()
   {
                JRequest::checkToken() or header('Location: http://www.yourdomainname.com/');
amend the yourdomainname to match your domain then save and upload.

i've been unable to get a invalid token since i made this change hopefully no adverse affects but it works.
After two entire days finding a solution, this worked with one of my clients' websites, many thanks (years later!)

EDIT: Nevermind, the first time logged in, but now it keeps redirecting me to the homepage, and i'm not logged in, what a mess!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”