Having Trouble With "Submit a Web Link"

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
gswaim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Having Trouble With "Submit a Web Link"

Post by gswaim » Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 am

Hi,

New at Joomla, but have done OK with setup until now....

I am trying to add a "Submit a Web Link" menu item. In the menu setup I have it configured to be available to registered users. When I test it, a registered user can see the link in the menu, but when they click on the link, it displays a "403 - You are not authorised to view this resource".

I have look at configurations for the menu at the parameter level and menu item level and I think I have it set up to be used by a registered user, but it just keeps setting an error code when I try. I have also tried clearing caches.

This menu item will work when I log in as admin.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what I need to try!

kraftworkz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Having Trouble With "Submit a Web Link"

Post by kraftworkz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I also have this same problem on 3 of my websites. All running Joomla 1.5.3

I have tried setting the Access Level to Public or Registered and it makes no difference, the 403 page comes up. Login as an Admin and no problems.

krogias
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by krogias » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 am

I have the same problem too :(
It has to be a new bug.

mikechino
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikechino » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi,

I'm using Joomla 1.5.3 as well and having the same problem. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks!

dar7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dar7 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 am

I'm having the same problem. First with 1.5.2 then 1.5.3
Any update on this?

dar7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dar7 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 am

This looks like it's a problem with Community builder.

I think this is the wrong section for this topic as I don't think it has anything to do with a template. Would a Mod be able to move this to a more appropriate section so maybe someone who knows what they are talking about could answer? Thanks.

kraftworkz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kraftworkz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:35 am

I'm not using CB, but do agree that it does not belong in the template specific area.

dar7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dar7 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:48 am

I tested on a clean install and it seems to be a problem with J1.5...

Here is a solution:

Set default registration as Author. Then go here http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &p=1335069 and http://docs.joomla.org/Require_Approval_For_Web_Link and do what this guy says.

DenisLeblanc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DenisLeblanc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:59 am

Is there a fix for this that works for 1.5.9?

Thanks.

kraftworkz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kraftworkz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 am

I'm amazed that this is still a problem. I gave up on Joomla a long time ago, too many bugs and a DB whore (too slow).

gacon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gacon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:37 pm

this is still a problem, only author and higher users can submit web links :(
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

tomazas007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tomazas007 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I have this problem too, but I find the way ;)
You just change the code in /components/com_weblinks/views/weblink/view.html.php on line 63 to if ($user->get('gid') < 18) from if ($user->get('gid') < 19) 8)

Torm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Torm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:19 pm

tomazas007 > Awsome its works ! Thanks man !
Joomla 1.5.22 - Yootheme Explorer, GavickPro, Rockettheme Fan,ZOO, Kunena and Jomsocial Rocks!
php 5.2.6-1+lenny3

florenceit
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by florenceit » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 am

finally a solution, thank you folks! :)
florenceit.net - A Community I.T. Shop for the Western MA, USA area. Now offering Performance, security and environmentally focused Joomla web and email hosting: florenceit.biz

compusolver
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by compusolver » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:38 pm

The problem with the above solution is that it gives registered users the option of not only submitting the link, but publishing it also. And it still prevents link submissions from the public.

If you want to allow the public to be able to submit links, merely comment out the lines between the "if" and "endif" in the section referenced above.

To prevent users below a certain level from being able to publish their link submissions, set a global variable to the level you wish to authorize (because the object with "getid" won't exist in the template code where you need to do this) in the section referenced above, then set an "if - endif" php section to prevent the field legend area with "publish", etc. from displaying in the component template. Note that many Joomla templates will have their own component templates where you will need to do this in the component html section within the template folder.
- Hank Castello
https://CompuSolver.com
PHP / Joomla / Wordpress / Yii / SEO / Security

Codeless
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Codeless » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26 pm

compusolver wrote:The problem with the above solution is that it gives registered users the option of not only submitting the link, but publishing it also. And it still prevents link submissions from the public.

If you want to allow the public to be able to submit links, merely comment out the lines between the "if" and "endif" in the section referenced above.

To prevent users below a certain level from being able to publish their link submissions, set a global variable to the level you wish to authorize (because the object with "getid" won't exist in the template code where you need to do this) in the section referenced above, then set an "if - endif" php section to prevent the field legend area with "publish", etc. from displaying in the component template. Note that many Joomla templates will have their own component templates where you will need to do this in the component html section within the template folder.
This is exactly what I need to do, but I'm having some troubles following this. Can you provide more details please? I'd like anybody to be able to submit links, and only the Super Admin to be able to publish them. Thank you!

Codeless
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Codeless » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 am

Any help?

timtecsa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timtecsa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Try simply removing the following stuff related to publishing in the above mentioned directory (/components/com_weblinks/views/weblink/view.html.php) and, of course, make the ID change from 19 to 18 as described previously above.

REMOVE

// Radio Buttons: Should the article be published
$lists['published'] = JHTML::_('select.booleanlist', 'jform[published]', 'class="inputbox"', $weblink->published );

I still see the word "Published" but without any radio buttons and it is indeed not published until I (Super Admin) makes it so from the backend.

See: http://www.globalprintmonitor.com/en/submit-a-weblink Only if you self register, of course ;)

jhaines
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jhaines » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

I've successfully made changes to Joomla 1.5.17 along the lines discussed above. In case it's useful, or anyone would like to comment on my changes, I've attached a zip file containing the changed files.
With these changes, registered users (not guests) can submit web links. The published radio buttons on the submit form don't show, except for managers, admin and super-admin. For all others the link must be approved before publishing.

Good advice here - thanks!

Julian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djacouma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djacouma » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 am

Excellent thread. Thanks to all for sharing solutions. If anyone knows how to get rid of that residual "Published", please drop it to this thread someday when you have a moment.

jmholsin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jmholsin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:07 am

I've made the suggested changes so that a guest to the site may submit a web link, and they can view the component now, but they are unable to actually save and submit the link. The page just sits... forever... it never progresses and I never receive a notification of a submission. Ideas?

peterbat
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by peterbat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:45 am

djacouma, I found that I had to go into my template to comment out the Published options. I went to my template, and into html/com_weblinks/weblink/form.php and commented out the table row relating to jformpublished.
Thanks to this thread I can now get weblinks submitted, and approve them as an admin.

Peter

stebelieves
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stebelieves » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 am

I am a newbie and have the same problem as this with submitting an article. however I was only able to get over the difficulty of changing the files by replacing my files with the zipped files in this thread. this worked despite my joomla verison being 1.5.23. I am now in the position where i have solved the weblink issue but am stuck with the article submission one. do I need to start a new thread?

jbalyo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbalyo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 am

This same exact problem exists in Joomla 1.7 but of course the only thread addressing it is this one, with changes specific only to 1.5 ... When I open up /components/com_weblinks/views/weblink/view.html.php there are no such lines as described above.

Is there a similar workaround for 1.7? The specific requirements are that anybody (public) can submit links, but then an administrator has to actually go in and publish it before it shows up on the page.

Thanks.

Bink
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Bink » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:56 am

jbalyo wrote:This same exact problem exists in Joomla 1.7 but of course the only thread addressing it is this one, with changes specific only to 1.5 ... When I open up /components/com_weblinks/views/weblink/view.html.php there are no such lines as described above.

Is there a similar workaround for 1.7? The specific requirements are that anybody (public) can submit links, but then an administrator has to actually go in and publish it before it shows up on the page.

Thanks.
I may be mistaken but this problem, if I understand it correctly should be solved with Joomla 2.5.

A website I am working on requires a user to be "registered" before they can see anything past the "Welcome" page. There are three levels of users (public, registered and super). Registered users are able to submit a weblink. I modified this in Options under Weblinks. For categories they should not be able to add links to, I modified the permissions on the category level.

Again, if I understood this problem correctly, I believe the most current version of Joomla will solve this problem. It would be great if you would chime back to say if it helped you or not. As of this post I tried it on Joomla 2.5.2.
"Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhiji

DaleHutch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DaleHutch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 am

I have a few sites running 2.5.3

I've got registered users all set up and they can submit web links.

The only problem I am having is submissions are not published by default and the administrators are not getting any type of notice of the new submission. Unless you view the links section in the back-end no one will know they are there.

Any way to have the administrator be notified of a new submission? Maybe an E-mail?

Thanks

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes a notification to admin of a submitted weblink would be great. Is there a way now that I overlooked?

Thanks

Shaktiva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shaktiva » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 am

ask again 2.5.7

frankrussell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by frankrussell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I am sure these answers are fine for 1.5/1.7 but do not work with 2.5. There the ID is 21 and there are only 43 lines. but error 403 persits. Perhaps it works fine for registered users but is not working on public.
A solution for 2.5.7 greatly appreciated

Thanks

lims01
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lims01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:02 am

Hi,

Got it working for Joomla 1.5 or 1.7 version, looks like a conflict in relational operators.... Hope it works for you too ;D

Follow this path:
Components>com_weblinks>views>form>view.html.php

if ($authorised !== true) {
JError::raiseError(403, JText::_('JERROR_ALERTNOAUTHOR'));
return false;
}

change it to:

if ($authorised === true) {
JError::raiseError(403, JText::_('JERROR_ALERTNOAUTHOR'));
return false;
}

Regards,