Trying to make nested menus

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Tankred
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Trying to make nested menus

Post by Tankred » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I work for a non-profit and I am the administrator/webmaster for us and I have decided to switch our current website over to Joomla because it is free ;-) and it is easy to administer on the back end.

I am using the Milky Way template that came with 1.5 and I am trying to find a way to implement nesting menus with the template to work. I already have modified the template to suit our purposes and this is the last thing I need to do before adding content to the site.

Here is the menu structure I would like to have. All of these menus are under Home.
- About Us
Nested links under "About Us":
- Mission and Vision
- Staff and Board
- Affiliations
- Funding

- Reviews
Nested links under "Reviews":
- Reviews
- Other feedback
- Give us feedback

- Schedule and Tickets
Nested links under "Schedule and Tickets":
- Season Schedule
- Purchase tickets
- Ask about schedule

- Support Us
Nested links under "Support Us":
- Make a donation
- Volunteer (ideally, we'd bring up a list of fields with name, contact info, and types of things people might be interested in volunteering to do)
- Food Lion Shop and Share
- Community support
- Ask about support

- Join Us
Nested links under "Join Us":
- Frequently asked questions
- Member comments
- Ask about joining

- Photo Gallery (no sub-links)

- Links (no sub-links)

- Member portal (no sub-links)

How do I make this menu structure? Do I need to make an atricle page BEFORE I make the menu structure? How do I link the menu to the page that is should go to.

Thanks for any help as I am really trying to get this done so the President of our chorus will stop BUGGING me about it! :p

Tankred
tgmchorus.org 8)

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Trying to make nested menus

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Bonjour,

You do not necessarily have to create the articles first, but it will save you a lot of extra work later by doing so. When creating a menu item of the article layout type, it HAS to be assigned to an article, any article, before is can be saved. You can assign them all to the same "dummy" article, but you will then have to go back through them all again and assign them to their respective "real" articles once they are created.

See the images here for how to "nest" the menu items.
parent_child_1.jpg
parent_child_2.jpg
Cheers!
Lyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@snifflevalve

Tankred
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tankred » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Thank you SO much! It is one of those things that if you know HOW to do it, it is easy. If you DON'T then you sit there staring at the screen and say "HUH!" :-[

:D

pseconds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pseconds » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for the great screen shots, however I cannot get this to work on a fresh, pretty much stock install of 1.5.9 using Milkyway. When I add the nest child and point it to the parent, is actually adds a new top-level instead of a sub-level.

Is there something I need to enable to make the nested menu's work? See screen shots from my setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm not all that familiar with the Milky Way template, but I am pretty sure that the "pill" menu where you have yours now, does not support a drop-down menu. You may be able to do so with some coding, but that is beyond me level of expertise :)
@snifflevalve

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Additionally, you could use swMenuFree, in the JED, to create the drop down menu for that position. Quite easy to match the styling of the "pill" area (user3).
@snifflevalve

lukekelly
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lukekelly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm

I also find superfish http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 31/details useful, i have it working in the pill menu location here: http://aysite.streamlinenettrial.co.uk - swMenuFree is good, but Pro is much better; but you have to pay a little for that one and you really need/want Pro if you want full flexibility.

Luke

pseconds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pseconds » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Likekelly,
What you have on that .uk site is exactly what I'd like to do. Do you mind sharing how you got it to work with the pillbox look?

Thanks!

lukekelly
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lukekelly » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Sure i can do, i had to change a few things in backend so i can't remember off the top of my head everything i had to do but here's a good start

Before we start you do not need to delete your menu made in the menu manager, superfish pulls the data from these so you still need them!

1. Download and install superfish on your site
2. Once superfish is installed it should have created an unpublished module using the mod_superfishmenu - If it hasn't create a new module, then select mod_superfishmenu as your module template.
3. Edit the module - Ensure that it is set to the user3 position (user 3 is the top menu location)
4. Edit the module parameters:
modparams.JPG
Menu Name - Make sure you select the menu that you want to display
Menu Type - Horizontal we need for this

You can add in your own custom style sheets if you wish, i just added the default ones im using on the site to ensure the whole site is handled by the same css.

You may also want to take a look at the rest of the parameters as there's a little bit of customising in there.

5. Once your happy with what you have done, save and then in module manager, deactivate your current menu, and then activate your new superfish menu.

6. At first its going to have the default style, to edit the colours, take out colours that you dont want / background colours you will need to edit the following:

/modules/mod_superfishmenu/tmpl/css/superfish.css

Line 55 Onwards says...

Code: Select all

/*** DEMO SKIN ***/
.sf-menu a { color:#000;
	float:			left;
	margin-bottom:	0em;
	font:	Ariel;
}
.sf-menu a {
	border-left:	0px solid #FFF;
	border-top:		1px solid #FFF;
	padding: 		.75em 1em;
	text-decoration:none;
}
.sf-menu a, .sf-menu a:visited  { /* visited pseudo selector so IE6 applies text colour*/
	color:			#FFFFFF;
}
.sf-menu li {
	background:		#14dbf9;
}
.sf-menu li li {
}
.sf-menu li li li {
	background:		#FFFFFF;
	color:			#000000;
}
.sf-menu li:hover, .sf-menu li.sfHover,
.sf-menu a:focus, .sf-menu a:hover, .sf-menu a:active {
	outline:		#000000;
	color:			#FFFFFF;
Most of your colours/visual properties are contained in that part of the code. The sizing is also controlled in superfish.css, noteably above the code i have just posted (each link width, height etc.) You should really play around with it for half hour to get to grips with how superfish handles these properties; i would suggest only changing one value at a time; easier to grasp what parameters are controlling what then if your not a css expert :) - Also the background translucent image that appears as the background for the submenus (drop down) is controlled at the bottom of that css file, there is also an image in the superfish' module folder (/mod_superfishmenu/images/) that you can edit too.

The CSS file will however NOT control the text styling - i found this out myself when i had the problem :) you can find how to edit the text colour here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=382932

I know ive missed some things, so if u need more help just ask; oh yeh one more thing; when editing the module, in module parameters; make sure the opeion "Always show submenu items" is on yes

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Luke

bugs1945
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bugs1945 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 am

Hi
I have similar problem but in different result, here is:

actual menu structure:
-product
-- product 1
-- product 2
-- product n

I like to display only "product" (with url: domain/product and no submenu) on top menu.

And when user click "product", on left position display menu list contain:
- product 1 (with url: domain/product/product1)
- product 2 (with url: domain/product/product2)
- product n (with url: domain/product/productn)
"product" link must not display in this menu list

how can I do this?
learn and disseminate http://webddr.net

lukekelly
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lukekelly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

bugs1945 wrote:Hi
I have similar problem but in different result, here is:

actual menu structure:
-product
-- product 1
-- product 2
-- product n

I like to display only "product" (with url: domain/product and no submenu) on top menu.

And when user click "product", on left position display menu list contain:
- product 1 (with url: domain/product/product1)
- product 2 (with url: domain/product/product2)
- product n (with url: domain/product/productn)
"product" link must not display in this menu list

how can I do this?
So from what I gather you would like to have the sub menu items appear on the right hand side of the page rather than in the pill menu?

Well a quick and easy way to do this would be to create a module with the links that only displays when the main parent link is clicked - the links would be to articles/custom pages - Jumi is a good solution for this for linking hidden modules/pages.

bugs1945
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bugs1945 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:05 pm

create module to appear on various parent menu is done by assign menu on admin.

the main problem is how I can create a list of menu that have a parent on url but not on menu list, see example below:

product1 with url domain/parent/product
product2 with url domain/parent/product

currently that only possible is with menu structure like below:
-parent
--product1
--product2
the structure is 2 level menu, parent = 1st level and product = 2nd level

but my wish is:
-product1
-product2
the structure is one level menu, but the url is 2 level (domain/parent/product)

the live example can be see on website http://thebalijourney.com/
when you click "Bali Interest" on top menu with url http://thebalijourney.com/bali-interest/
new menu list appear on leftbar with title "Bali Interest" (this can be done by menu assign on admin whle editing mod_mainmenu module)
and if you click on of the new sub menu (menu under "Bali Interest" on leftbar), ie The Lake of Bedugul, the url is http://thebalijourney.com/bali-interest ... f-bedugul/
Please notice the menu list under "Bali Interest" on leftbar is one level menu, but the url is 2 level menu (/bali-interest/the-lake-of-bedugul)

I can not found how to create this, please focus on how to create custom url/assign parent url in child/submenu without display the parent in menu list.

Thanks
learn and disseminate http://webddr.net

ice9407
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ice9407 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:30 pm

In a previous post there were some images showing how to nest menus

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1622918

The images are not longer available, can you help me with this?

THanks

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 pm

ice9407
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ice9407 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:04 pm

thanks!!

codingproff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by codingproff » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:32 am

I was facing same thing some time ago. But then i came across a tutorial that tell me how to do it. I don't remember the link but that guy do this using the admin JS and CSS. Just copy those files and then set the menu. Sorry for not providing the link, but that was working solution.

dailywalk365
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dailywalk365 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 am

Thanks so much for this post. Your Tops!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”