Can An Article Be Put Inside A Module?

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
billk43542
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Can An Article Be Put Inside A Module?

Post by billk43542 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:50 am

Would like to know if an article can be placed inside a module? If so, How?

I have read previous posts on the opposite.. (module inside of article), but nothing on..(article inside module)?
Bill Kluczynski Jr
Monclova, Oh 43542
http://www.lunchfinderz.com - Featuring Area Daily Lunch Specials

eclark461
I've been banned!

Re: Can An Article Be Put Inside A Module?

Post by eclark461 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 am

Yes it can, there are a few things that can do it, however you can also use the Custom Module that is included with Joomla.

Simply hit the new on your module manager, select custom and scroll down and you will be able to see a text editor field there that you can display whatever you want.
Always Make Backups | Make a test site to test components on first
Always read the reviews on the extension before downloading. | Always read the manual before posting.
Signature rules - No more then 4 lines allowed

billk43542
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by billk43542 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:48 am

I've tried doing just that. Problem is..I lose the "read more" function, and the admin author shaded heading.

I am trying to move the "Support Your Local farmer" article on my front page under The "Daily Lunch Specials" Image which is in the banner mod position. The only way I could think of doing it was to include it in another mod.
Bill Kluczynski Jr
Monclova, Oh 43542
http://www.lunchfinderz.com - Featuring Area Daily Lunch Specials

eclark461
I've been banned!

Post by eclark461 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 am

Create your own readmore link and then hyperlink it to the actual articles link.

That will solve it. Either that, or what i would highly recommend is to get JCE , its one of the best editors out there, and you will be able to take the guesswork out of linking to more articles from modules or anywhere for that matter.
Always read the reviews on the extension before downloading. | Always read the manual before posting.

kindaian
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kindaian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 am

Another usefull module to consider is the mod_placehere which allows to add something to a diferent position...

;)

eclark461
I've been banned!

Post by eclark461 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 am

I never use any of that stuff, there is really not a need for it so long as you can create a Custom Module, using that nice feature that comes with joomla but noone reads about.

Instead of reading and digging around looking for what features joomla already has, and testing them people go off To Feed The TROLLS in the extension library, and start paying for some bogus module that doesnt work properly, or works but is too difficult for them to figure out.

So refer my last posting simply put, Grab JCE, its an Editor Addon For Joomla and it is FREE.
Use the custom module and then link to whatever articles or modules or plagha, that you want.

And most importantly beware of those Miracle Addons, and ones that hack or do damage.

Test these on a different or seperate installation of your site other than your live site. ALWAYS TEST BEFORE YOU IMPLIMENT.

tez
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tez » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:47 pm

you put the article inside a category, with no other articles in the category.
create a Newsflash module, it will show the latest article in a category.

that will do what you want.

If the Joomla devs had allowed the newsflash module to select an article manually, this would be a powerful module.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm

This worked for me. Thank you!

mbruno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mbruno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 pm

I needed to place an article on my home page in order to insert a module into the article and have it display on my home page / front page.

Basically I used this to post an article on my home page and then tried to use {loadposition some_position} to insert another module into the article - however this is not working

I've used {loadposition some_position} to add modules to other articles, but the front page isn't working. Any thoughts?
Matt Bruno

mbruno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mbruno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 pm

figured it out - sorry for the bother. I just needed to change the front page to view an article.
Matt Bruno

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 am

I'm glad you got it figured out. :)

And it really is not a bother. I'm always glad when I finally get something figured out. This is a great place to read and learn.

mbruno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mbruno » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I've learned a lot from these forums - I've built three joomla sites so far and I'll be working on my fourth soon! Everyone is so nice and quick to help - I don't think I'll be using another CMS again!

:) thanks again!
Matt Bruno

jdavid4it
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdavid4it » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 am

mbruno wrote:figured it out - sorry for the bother. I just needed to change the front page to view an article.
Hey mbruno...
Do you mind telling us how yo manage to put modules on the front page?
I have the same question because I need to put a "virtuemart" module for slideshow images (mod_vmproductslideshow) in my joomla template Front Page. When I look for the template positions, I only find the default ones on the Template Position Map, which none shows a position name for the center (middle) Front Page.

THANKS in advance! :)

otbreno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by otbreno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm trying to put a [youtube] video in the banner position with a custom module and I can't get it to work. I see the Title, but the video doesn't play it just shows the html code as text. Any ideas or suggestions:) Thanks

tez
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 am

You need to edit the HTML code in code view. Some editors strip out Javascript. JCE will work when you enable Javascript and toggle the editor to put your code in using HTML view.

david9999
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by david9999 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:21 am

There is no need for the DirectPHP plugin to enable this.
So below are the complete steps to achieve this.

step 1: Create a new module position

# From the "Site" menu, select "Template Manager" then "Module Positions" .

# Add a new module position "user201". You could give it any name. I named it "user201" in this example.

# Click "Save" to save the new module position.

Step 2: Create the content page

# Go to Content Manager and create a new article (static or dynamic).

# In the article, enter the following:

This is a test to include a module inside a content item.

{mosloadposition user201}

# Note that the module name after mosloadposition has to match the module position you have created in Step 1.

Step 3: Set up the module

# Let's first create a module for testing purpose. Go to "Modules - Site Modules". Look for the module "Main Menu". Check the box besides the title, and choose "Copy" from the menu.
# You will see a new module called "Copy of Main Menu" appearing below the original "Main Menu".
# # Click on "Copy of Main Menu".

* Set "Show Title" to "No"
* Select "user201" for Position
* Set "Published" to "Yes"
# Go to "Page / Items" on the right-hand side and make sure "All" is selected:
# That's it! Save the module. We're all set!

hope this steps will be helpful to put an article inside module.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

tez
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tez » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 am

first, mosloadposition is for Joomla 1
second, you've put a module inside an article, which is not what this topic is about. this topic is about the opposite.

jdavid4it
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdavid4it » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 am

By the way... Does anybody think I can be "shown the light" :) to my previous post above?

I kind of have a "module / article" question because I need to put a "virtuemart" module for slideshow images (mod_vmproductslideshow) in my joomla template Front Page. When I look for the template positions, I only find the default ones on the Template Position Map, which none shows a position name for the center ("component") Front Page.

All I need is to be able to have the "virtuemart" module(mod_vmproductslideshow) working and displaying correctly on my Front Page (I guess the "component" area). BUT all I see is the virtuemart logo image. I already posted these questions on the VirtueMart Forum since none of the VirtueMart modules are working properly on my site :(

I will upload part of what I have already created for my site so someone or a more experienced user ;) can advice me.

You may take a look here.... http://jditservicesonline.com/lovaltsite/
THANKS in advance!

foothillweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by foothillweb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am

Might I suggest that if you want to be helpful, answer the question that was asked and not "why do you want to do that when you can do this?" Some of us come from the search engines and want to know the answer to the question, not your workaround. I only mention it because it happens so frequently. If you want to help, answer the question that was asked and save the "here's what I do" for another thread. TIA (general comment not directed at the poster above me)

Thanks for the tip on Newsflash. Great idea!

loogalooga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by loogalooga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Just a thought - I wanted to do the same thing - an article in a module position. I created a newsflash module and linked to a category that only has one article in it. Then I added that category to my user menu so that front-end users can have access to the article to edit it.
This works for my needs. Work for you?

LouisePaisley
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by LouisePaisley » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:58 pm

eclark461 wrote: That will solve it. Either that, or what i would highly recommend is to get JCE , its one of the best editors out there, and you will be able to take the guesswork out of linking to more articles from modules or anywhere for that matter.
That has to rate as the best post I have ever encountered in my trawling joomla related fora..

I am as you can probably guess pretty new to Joomla, having finally settled on it after evaluating every CMS known to man!

But that post has delivered to me an editor which does EVERYTHING I wanted an editor to do and a whole pile of other stuff I didn't know I wanted an editor to do but I am sure as hell glad it does!

Thank you eclark461, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU

BobbyDigi_1030
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BobbyDigi_1030 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:41 pm

I agree with Louise. This is an absolute find! Thank you!

Dmeldrum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dmeldrum » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:48 pm

I want to put an ARTICLE in Module. The reason is that I may have the same article in a menu, or else where. I also want to be able to edit the article and have the edits appear where ever the article is placed. Now do I understand the way to do this is to create a custom html Module and some how "include" the article? Not sure how to "include the article in the html module.

Boriqa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Boriqa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

that will do what you want.

If the Joomla devs had allowed the newsflash module to select an article manually, this would be a powerful module. :D

This is a perfect fix. Thank you

Dmeldrum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dmeldrum » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Ah ha! Thank you! That explains why a friend of mine was creating a category for every article. She wanted to place several articles on a page and said they were in Modules. She did not know why she needed to create so many categories but, someone told her that it works.
I agree if there was a module that could contain an article it would be great. Or if there was a way to place more than one article component on a page that would be helpful. I know the Front page can contain more than one article, but you do not have much control in laying them out in different locations.

monlike
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by monlike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:12 am

be careful duplicate content have been hurt your seo

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”