Finding and Editing the HTML Code?

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
jbhoo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Finding and Editing the HTML Code?

Post by jbhoo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Howdy,
I use firebug the element inspector that highlights the various HTML elements on the page,
which is great. But where do I find the HTML code outside of firebug to edit it? Alot of it is not in the template HTML.I know it is probably in a php file or 2 or 20, but every php file I look in has nothing but php code in it. I have some extension modules that I want to edit the HTML. finding and editing CSS files is no problem.
I have been playing around building a wordpress theme and i know you copy your HTML code into the corresponding php file for instance the footer html code goes in the footer.php file.
Any insight into this would be appreciated.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Finding and Editing the HTML Code?

Post by toivo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Usually each component in Joomla has template files where the HTML code is generated in a PHP script. Those templates are stored in the subfolder 'views' under the component, for example components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

nordiskshop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nordiskshop » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 am

Hi, in the footer of the page it is written Powered by Joomla!® how can I add text to that line?

novanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by novanova » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 am

nordiskshop wrote:Hi, in the footer of the page it is written Powered by Joomla!® how can I add text to that line?
Based on which template you use. Usually it's in the index.php (in template_name folder) or footer.php (in layouts folder with T3 framework for example).

You need a tool. Notepad++ has "Find in files..." function which allows you search for a keyword(s) in many files.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by novanova on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://misoblog.net - Joomla, Web Design and Photography

haki
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by haki » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 am

nordiskshop wrote:Hi, in the footer of the page it is written Powered by Joomla!® how can I add text to that line?

almooj-craig
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by almooj-craig » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I find that using grep works very nicely.

In your /htdocs directory or your root directory on linux use this command.
grep -r 'Powered by Joomla' * > ../temp

Then open ../temp with a text editor, I like to use SciTE. Once the file is open it shows you the relative path and file name and then the line of code that matches your search. In SciTE if you prepend htdocs/ to the path and then select the file name you want to open you can use the file menu to open the selected file.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”