yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by dax702 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 am

regarding CSS styles, I thought perhaps that the plugin parameters for "use css file" reads the available css files in the folder, so I added a new one but it did not appear in the selectable list. If I want to make a new one, should I just overwrite one of the included styles?

untouchabl192
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - MVC Plugin-Component for Joomla! 1.5

Post by untouchabl192 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 am

AmyStephen wrote:Yuri -

This is FANTASTIC!

I installed the component and plugin; configured the plugin and was able to create and read a comment. Makes me very happy - comments are really essential.

There are a few errors that I am getting - I'll PM you with some details.

I'm really glad you found us here at Joomla! and appreciate you GPL'ing your MARVELOUS extension!

Amy :)
YAHHHHHH

dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dax702 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 am

I love how this website styled its yvcomments:

http://www.aboutdj.nl/nieuws/1052-udg-c ... mpact.html

Not a clue how to recreate it though :'(

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 am

(please ignore/delete this message)
Last edited by yvolk on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:34 am

(please ignore|delete this message)
Last edited by yvolk on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:35 am

dax702 wrote:regarding CSS styles, I thought perhaps that the plugin parameters for "use css file" reads the available css files in the folder, so I added a new one but it did not appear in the selectable list. If I want to make a new one, should I just overwrite one of the included styles?
No, to have your own style, you should set "Use CSS file"="No" and then move all yvComment-related CSS styles to the CSS file of your Joomla! template. See below: this is exactly how it was done in the example site, that you found:
dax702 wrote:I love how this website styled its yvcomments:

http://www.aboutdj.nl/nieuws/1052-udg-c ... mpact.html

Not a clue how to recreate it though :'(
To have a look, how it was done:
(for MS Internet Explorer) save the Web page as "Webpage, complete (*.htm; *.html)". You will see the *.htm file AND directory, where most of other files of the page are stored (but not all... this is out of scope of this thread...). You may see "template.css" file there.
Inside that file you will see some ".cmmnts_" definitions - these are for yvComment, but developer, obviously, uses custom 'comment view' template also (this is "template override"...), so he changed class names of yvComment-generated HTML-elements...

oavs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oavs » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 am

Hi Yuri

Great component. Nothing like it. I have question. May be its me ? I am new to Joomla.

For some reason

'Comments(1) ' are showing on my front page. I also created a page (ok..article) called 'Comments' . I can see the comments been shown here. that's fine too.

First of all why can't show the comment form OR 'Add Comments' where ever I want?
Most common place I thought would be my 'Comments' page but I can not figure out how to display 'Add Comments' link.

At the same time I do not want to list or add a link to my Front Page. How do get rid of the 'Comments(1) ' when there is a comment and 'AddComments Here' when there is no comments link from the Front Page?

Thanks heaps

Downunder

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

oavs wrote:For some reason
'Comments(1) ' are showing on my front page. I also created a page (ok..article) called 'Comments' . I can see the comments been shown here. that's fine too.

First of all why can't show the comment form OR 'Add Comments' where ever I want?
Most common place I thought would be my 'Comments' page but I can not figure out how to display 'Add Comments' link.

At the same time I do not want to list or add a link to my Front Page. How do get rid of the 'Comments(1) ' when there is a comment and 'AddComments Here' when there is no comments link from the Front Page?
I understand, that the only thing, that you like to be changed, is to remove any links to the Comments from the frontpage (and still have comments for articles, or, if you wish, for one article only, called 'Comments').
The simplest way is to create your own template of yvComment's "comment" view (see "TemplateOverride").
E.g. to get rid of 'Comments(1)' links edit your copy of default.php file and delete 'php if' block, starting with '<?php if ($this->params->get('ShowNumberOfCommentsAlone')) : ?>'

xqleg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xqleg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:40 am

I've got problem with yvComment.
Every time plugin is activated in the article view the class <h2 class="contentheading "> is shown. Even when the article title is turned off in parameters. This makes that I've got title of article doubbled. Once projected by "componentheading" class and the second by "contentheading" one. I cann not turn the componentheading off, becauce need it in the table-view.
greetings..

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am

xqleg wrote:I've got problem with yvComment.
Every time plugin is activated in the article view the class <h2 class="contentheading "> is shown. Even when the article title is turned off in parameters. This makes that I've got title of article doubbled. Once projected by "componentheading" class and the second by "contentheading" one. I cann not turn the componentheading off, becauce need it in the table-view.
There is not enough info to guess, what's wrong :(

kg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:46 pm

I have a problem when trying to change the swedish language file.
If I download it and change it, and upload it, all swedish characters shows as question marks on black background.
It all looks good in notepad before uploading. Have uploaded as ASCII.

Same if I change anything via SSH using pico.

Please let me know how to change the ini file and upload it to get the characters correct.

Thank you

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

How to customize language .ini file for yvComment

Post by yvolk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 am

kg wrote:I have a problem when trying to change the swedish language file.
If I download it and change it, and upload it, all swedish characters shows as question marks on black background.
It all looks good in notepad before uploading. Have uploaded as ASCII.

Same if I change anything via SSH using pico.

Please let me know how to change the ini file and upload it to get the characters correct.
To be sure, that your customized language .ini file will work correctly on the site, you should save it in:
'utf-8' encoding with BOM.
Generally editor does this automatically, because original (used as template) English language .ini file also has BOM. E.g. Windows Notepad program understands this and you doesn't need to think about this. If there is not a case for your Editor, you should explicitly "Save as..." or try other, 'unicode-aware' Editor.

kg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kg » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am

yvolk wrote: To be sure, that your customized language .ini file will work correctly on the site, you should save it in:
'utf-8' encoding with BOM.
Generally editor does this automatically, because original (used as template) English language .ini file also has BOM. E.g. Windows Notepad program understands this and you doesn't need to think about this. If there is not a case for your Editor, you should explicitly "Save as..." or try other, 'unicode-aware' Editor.
Thanks.
My notepad had ANSI as standard settings for some reason. When saving as UTF-8 it worked fine.
Thank you for a very nice extension.

xqleg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xqleg » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 pm

yvolk wrote:
xqleg wrote:There is not enough info to guess, what's wrong :(
So what is needed?
I've got joomla 1.56 installation, template: ja_purity
Look at pic below
1. With comment plugin on
2. With comment plugin off

I've tested some others comment items and some of them also ignore parameter that turns off article title (this connected with contentheading class in template). Problem appears when one of new templates is used. Maybe this is not plugin fault only template's... I don't know but have to solve it.
please help...
greetings..

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:37 pm

xqleg wrote:
yvolk wrote:
xqleg wrote:There is not enough info to guess, what's wrong :(
So what is needed?
I've got joomla 1.56 installation, template: ja_purity
Look at pic below
1. With comment plugin on
2. With comment plugin off

I've tested some others comment items and some of them also ignore parameter that turns off article title (this connected with contentheading class in template). Problem appears when one of new templates is used. Maybe this is not plugin fault only template's... I don't know but have to solve it.
please help...
Hi, I've tested yvComment with Joomla 1.5.6 and this template: ja_purity - no errors... so I couldn't reproduce this error.
Please try to make fresh Joomla! install and try to reproduce this error. If you succeed ;) , please post here steps to reproduce the problem.

xqleg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xqleg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:58 pm

yvolk wrote:Please try to make fresh Joomla! install and try to reproduce this error. If you succeed ;) , please post here steps to reproduce the problem.
I did and it was template's fault.
I do apologise for taking your valued time :(

I've got another question. Is there any possibilities to customize module. I use List of Comments (View name) and 003 (Layout) and I want to short displayed comments when they are longer than for example 30 characters. Or swap displayed comment contents for the title commented article?
Any clues?
greetings..

d2o
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by d2o » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 am

I had some difficulties today with author names being linked to their e-mail address. It seems, in combination with Joomla e-Mail protection the link prints broken. Unfortunately, I did not save the broken HTML and had to switch off making names linkable (as the site is productive). Sorry, not to deliver more information. I just remember to have seen HTML code being printed as content before the user's name. (I'm not using any custom template or such.)

In the light of linkable names, would it be possible to change or extend the option for linkage to exclude e-mail linking? I'd like to allow linkable names, but only when a URL is given.

Thanks, Stefan
°°°°'°°°°
"All you need is Bytes" (Bitles, 2368)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

How to customize layout for yvComment

Post by yvolk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:45 am

xqleg wrote:Is there any possibilities to customize module. I use List of Comments (View name) and 003 (Layout) and I want to short displayed comments when they are longer than for example 30 characters. Or swap displayed comment contents for the title commented article?
Any clues?
You have to create your custom layout for 'layout003' of the 'listofcomments' view.
you may see three php files - for three built-in layoutouts in the 'components/com_yvcomment/views/listofcomments/tmpl' folder . One of these files is 'layout003.php' - this is what you need to customize.
Of cause, you may change this file, but creating your own custom copy of the file will be more reliable...
So, if your template is 'ja_purity', copy the file to the: 'templates/ja_purity/html/com_yvcomment/listofcomments/layout003.php'
and then customize it.
E.g. 'to short displayed comments when they are longer than for example 30 characters' after:

Code: Select all

if ($yvComment->getConfigValue('hide_title', '0') == 0) {
  $text = $this->escape($item->title);
} else {
  $text = $item->text;
}
add this:

if (strlen($text) > 30) {
  $text = substr($text, 0, 30) . '...';
}
And to 'swap displayed comment contents for the title commented article' replace

if ($yvComment->getConfigValue('hide_title', '0') == 0) {
  $text = $this->escape($item->title);
} else {
  $text = $item->text;
}
with:

$text = $item->ArticleTitle;
Last edited by yvolk on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Bug of the 'Content - Email Cloaking' plugin?

Post by yvolk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 am

d2o wrote:I had some difficulties today with author names being linked to their e-mail address. It seems, in combination with Joomla e-Mail protection the link prints broken. Unfortunately, I did not save the broken HTML and had to switch off making names linkable (as the site is productive). Sorry, not to deliver more information. I just remember to have seen HTML code being printed as content before the user's name. (I'm not using any custom template or such.)

In the light of linkable names, would it be possible to change or extend the option for linkage to exclude e-mail linking? I'd like to allow linkable names, but only when a URL is given.

Thanks, Stefan
I can confirm, that Joomla! 'Content - Email Cloaking' plugin has a bug: it fails to 'protect' links to emails properly... Of cause, you may e.g. customize yvComment (see example in the previous message).
But I think, that it will be better to fix 'Content - Email Cloaking' plugin ( I think it is supported ;) ), than to create a workaround for its bug ?!

d2o
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by d2o » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:35 pm

yvolk wrote:I can confirm, that Joomla! 'Content - Email Cloaking' plugin has a bug: it fails to 'protect' links to emails properly... Of cause, you may e.g. customize yvComment (see example in the previous message).
But I think, that it will be better to fix 'Content - Email Cloaking' plugin ( I think it is supported ;) ), than to create a workaround for its bug ?!
Right, filing a bug to the right plugin is better. I switched it off, anyway, so it's fine with me. :)
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to check for bugs at the moment, maybe next weekend ... if I remember ;)
Thanks,
Stefan
°°°°'°°°°
"All you need is Bytes" (Bitles, 2368)

mannequin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mannequin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:56 am

Hi, I'm currently testing the component/plugin/module. First of all, great job! I don't have to use JomComment which I intended to buy. Yours is much simpler AND I LOVE THE WAY YOU USE SECTIONS AND CATEGORIES to store comments.

I have limited the number of characters in the module by making a template change to one of the layout as suggested by one of the forum post.

Anyways, I face another issue which is,

a user decides to place a long string of word. For example:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

or a long url

httpblablablabl/asudasasd/asdaddsa/asdasdasdasd_Adasda/adsasdadsdasd.sad

and if the long word does not get wrapped at some point (see attached)

I hope there is a fix for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

How to deal with strings, that are too long?

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 am

mannequin wrote:...a user decides to place a long string of word. For example:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
or a long url
httpblablablabl/asudasasd/asdaddsa/asdasdasdasd_Adasda/asdasdasdasdas/asdasdasdasdasd/adsasdadsdasd.sad

and if the long word does not get wrapped at some point (see attached)
I hope there is a fix for this.
Hi, I just thought: what THIS forum does for this (I tried to make browser window smaller...).
It doesn't wrap long line, but end of lines are not visible... - I think, this may be done changing styles.

Mannequin, may you figure out, what we have to change in the CSS to truncate long lines?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Section and Categories for Comments

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 am

mannequin wrote:Hi, I'm currently testing the component/plugin/module. First of all, great job! ...AND I LOVE THE WAY YOU USE SECTIONS AND CATEGORIES to store comments.
Currently yvComment uses ONE Section and ONE Category for comments.
Your message forced me to think another time about the need to add 'Categorize your comment' option (optional, of cause) to the commenting form. So user may select category from the list of Categories of "Comments" Section.
How do you think, will this be good addition, or maybe nobody needs it?!

mannequin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mannequin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 pm

personally, i dont find the need to categorise comments. Im not too sure about the commenting system nowadays. Im still finding out on how to break the long words.

Maybe it has to do with writing a code. Like if word is more than 30 characters, first 30 characters gets showed first, then insert a space, then display the rest of the characters. However, this also means my Joomla articles have the same problem.

Maybe i'll have to find a plugin of some sort that breaks long words.

greyham
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Disabling "Add your comment" on the printer friendly items

Post by greyham » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:21 am

I love yvComment! Thank you so much for providing it. I have only one request: is it possible to remove the "Add your comment" boxes from the print-friendly versions of content items? If the user clicks the "print" icon, I'd like the content item to appear with existing comments, but without the boxes allowing the user to enter a new comment. After all, they've hit the icon to print the thing, not to comment on it.

Thanks!
Graham

Rozenrot
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rozenrot » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:12 pm

First off, awesome job with yvcomments =]

I'm using MyBlog pro [azrul.com] with my Joomla, and I'm wondering if I can get yvcomments to display a [# Comments/Add a comment] link at the bottom of each post I make through MyBlog.

And if it is possible, how the heck do I do it :laugh:

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Disabling "Add your comment" on the printer friendly items

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:05 am

greyham wrote:...is it possible to remove the "Add your comment" boxes from the print-friendly versions of content items? If the user clicks the "print" icon, I'd like the content item to appear with existing comments, but without the boxes allowing the user to enter a new comment. After all, they've hit the icon to print the thing, not to comment on it.
Hi, Graham! Thank you for the request - I didn't think about this yet. I will add this 'Print friendly view' feature to the next release of yvcomment.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Who will integrate MyBlog pro with yvComment?

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:15 am

Rozenrot wrote:I'm using MyBlog pro [azrul.com] with my Joomla, and I'm wondering if I can get yvcomments to display a [# Comments/Add a comment] link at the bottom of each post I make through MyBlog.

And if it is possible, how the heck do I do it :laugh:
yvComment is 'content' plugin and it creates comments on 'Articles'. So, to work MyBlog and yvComment together, MyBlog should support content plugins and store its blog entries in content table. If this is true, making them work together will be easy.

Who will figure this out, pals?

knight1986
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by knight1986 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:30 pm

First of all thanks alot for the great extension..
I have a question which may be considered very basic or very stupid, i don't know..
How Can I Install the arabic language pack for yvcomments so that it can work properly ??

when i install the pack from joomla installer.. it gives me the following message:
JInstaller::install: The language file 'ar-EG.com_yvcomment.ini' could not be installed because the Administrator language package for 'ar-EG' has not been installed or does not exist.

and in the description:
This is Arabic (ar-EG) language pack for yvComment extension. Don't enable this plugin. See yvComment's Homepage http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/index_en.html for more information.

i dont't know what to do next.. as the language is not changed..

I can not wait for your reply.. and i will be very gratefaul ..

Thank you again..

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: How Can I Install <MyLanguage> language pack for yvComment?

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 pm

knight1986 wrote:First of all thanks alot for the great extension..
I have a question which may be considered very basic or very stupid, i don't know..
How Can I Install the arabic language pack for yvcomments so that it can work properly ??

when i install the pack from joomla installer.. it gives me the following message:
JInstaller::install: The language file 'ar-EG.com_yvcomment.ini' could not be installed because the Administrator language package for 'ar-EG' has not been installed or does not exist.

and in the description:
This is Arabic (ar-EG) language pack for yvComment extension. Don't enable this plugin. See yvComment's Homepage http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/index_en.html for more information.

i dont't know what to do next.. as the language is not changed..

I can not wait for your reply.. and i will be very gratefaul ..

Thank you again..
Hi! You have to install full language pack for Administrator interface for your language before installing yvCommentLanguagePack for this language. See e.g.Joomla! Accredited Translations.
Last edited by yvolk on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”