yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
netguerrilla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by netguerrilla » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi, Rick! Of cause, the simplest solution would be to create Category with e.g. "Uncagorized" name, assign the About page to that Category and then list it in the "exclude list" of yvComment...
If this is not an option for you, please describe: why?
Yuri -

I tried this before but I couldn't figure out. I got it working this time with your suggestion. It's working perfectly now. Thanks!

Rick

dbamford
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dbamford » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi there and firstly, thanks very much for this excellent extension. I actually tend to gravitate towards the simpler components that I can then expand to fit my needs rather than trying to shrink and streamline bloated extensions to do the simple task desired. In that respect this is a superb extension! Many thanks!

Now onto my question, is it possible to display a message that says 'Login or register to post your comment' or similar for guests who are not logged in? I had a quick look through some of the php files and couldnt find any obvious locations to make this alteration, so I was hoping that some more knowledgeable than myself could locate the place for these alterations. Once there I should be fine, but I did a couple of trials altering views/comment/tmpl/default.php but neither worked too well.

Thanks again for the extension 8)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm

dbamford wrote:Is it possible to display a message that says 'Login or register to post your comment' or similar for guests who are not logged in? I had a quick look through some of the php files and couldnt find any obvious locations to make this alteration, so I was hoping that some more knowledgeable than myself could locate the place for these alterations. Once there I should be fine, but I did a couple of trials altering views/comment/tmpl/default.php but neither worked too well.
We discussed this earlier, please see from this message and below.
Problem is not in "programming/writing PHP code": we need to understand, what we need in terms of Joomla!...

dbamford
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dbamford » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 pm

yvolk wrote: We discussed this earlier, please see from this message and below.
Thanks, somehow search didnt find that! In any case, it was very easy in the end, I just added the following code to the very end of the views/comment/tmpl/default.php file:

Code: Select all

<?php
    $user =& JFactory::getUser();
      if ($user->get('guest')) {
        echo '<div class="guest-comment-notice">Please <a href="/component/user/?task=register">register</a> or login to add your comments!</div>';
    }
 ?>
Worked just as I wanted it to... although I now have to try and work out how to have it display only on the full article.

Excellent extension this btw. I'm very happy with it :D

dbamford
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dbamford » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:45 pm

dbamford wrote: although I now have to try and work out how to have it display only on the full article.
Again very simple, I just lifted the code up just above the 'PoweredBy' generator. Excuse the double post :-[
Last edited by dbamford on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dArt85
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Feature request

Post by dArt85 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 am

I have no complains about Yvcomments. But when it is heavily used. You will always find some problems.

I am using laltest news module to show latest comments. My problem is that all comments are stored in one category and sections. And i have to show them all or none.

If i could asign one category but multiple sections for comments that would be very helpfull.
For example if i have 3 categories in my site (football, basketball, voleyball)
I could asign diferent comment section for every category (comments/football, comments/basketball, comments/voleyball)

In that case i could display only ontopic latest comments in all categories.

I not sure how hard or easy to implement it. And only few people would use such feature. But i think it is good idea.
Thanks for great extension.

EDIT: i just find out there is similiar function already implemented. I can create menu item and link it to any category i need. Only problem, that i can't have latest comments in postions like modules (left, rigt, user1 ...)

lcdweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lcdweb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 pm

I just saw this security warning:
http://www.secuobs.com/secumail/snsecum ... 0889.shtml

I noticed 1.16.1 was released yesterday. Does that subversion address the security risk?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 pm

lcdweb wrote:I just saw this security warning:

I noticed 1.16.1 was released yesterday. Does that subversion address the security risk?
Yes, v.1.16.1 is just about fixing this security risk.

STUD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by STUD » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 am

yvolk wrote:
lcdweb wrote:I just saw this security warning:

Yes, v.1.16.1 is just about fixing this security risk.
your first post says this is your first extension...

could you please PM me a small tips as to where to start learning PHP and what path should i follow

I already know programming but never gave hand to PHP

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:12 am

STUD wrote:your first post says this is your first extension...
could you please PM me a small tips as to where to start learning PHP and what path should i follow
I already know programming but never gave hand to PHP
Hi, STUD!
I studied and I'm still studying PHP "by example" and "by topic" (but this is not the "path" for everybody...):
- looking at existing PHP code (mainly - at the code of Joomla! core, and sometimes at the code of other PHP projects also...), changing existing code and observing consequences in order to understand, how it works...
- looking into PHP manual for explanations,
- and searching for difficult topics (discussions) in the Net.
Of cause, you have to start from installing good development environment, which would help you to understand the code better...
I'm using these tools:
- PHPeclipse - it's not as smart, as I'd like, but it's much better for coding, than general "text editor".
- PHP manual, which is integrated into Eclipse also...

And of cause, I'm trying to learn techniques, which are independent of programming language (e.g. patterns...). This knowledge really helps to understand _good_ PHP examples...
I'm not trying to "know whole PHP" and "all patterns" etc. - I'm studying just what I need...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment v.1.17.0 released

Post by yvolk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:20 pm

What's new in v.1.17.0:
1. Added "Auto close comments after specified number of days" option. Setting this option disables addition of new comments to the old articles, but it doesn't prevent registered users from correcting or updating their outdated information in old entries.
2. Added "Show 'Please register'" option (after many questions about how to do this...). If set to 'yes', yvComment shows message 'Please register or login to add your comments to this article' in article view, if addition of comments is allowed for this Article, but not allowed for this User.
3. Seven (!) new translations were added since previous release.

Rotten Roller
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rotten Roller » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 pm

hi yuri!
i've just installed your new release on my test-system. i might be blind but i followed every step of your installing guide, checked the versions of joomla!, php, mysql and stuff, read the posts in every known forum but finally found nothing. :(

my problem is that simply nothing appears under/beneath/in or over my article boxes. i tried it with guest users, with registered users and then i read your guidelines again and found no mistake.
i have the same configuration as you. could it be, that articles appearing on the start page aren't able to be commented?

maybe it helps you to see the structure. the articles on the first page are the troublemakers:
http://www.freizeitler.de

thanks for your patience! :pop

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:40 am

Rotten Roller wrote:hi yuri!
i've just installed your new release on my test-system. i might be blind but i followed every step of your installing guide, checked the versions of joomla!, php, mysql and stuff, read the posts in every known forum but finally found nothing. :(

my problem is that simply nothing appears under/beneath/in or over my article boxes. i tried it with guest users, with registered users and then i read your guidelines again and found no mistake.
Yes, thank you: that was a bug of v.1.17.0 (Guests couldn't add comments) - I fixed it in v.1.17.1.
Please test it.

Rotten Roller
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rotten Roller » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:33 pm

hi!
thx for your good work, it now works fine so far.
there is one more little problem with the layout. in ie, everything looks fine, but firefox and opera stretch the height of the first comment-box. it's weird cause there are no margin or padding nor any objects or block elements causing this.

here you have a screenshot of it:

greetings! :eek:

jav100
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jav100 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:54 am

Hi,

I am pretty impressed by this. I am getting the same issue with the firefox comment box stretch, but that isn't my reason for writing. On my articles, I normally use the preview / read more function on all of them. On my front page, I have it setup so that the first tid bits before the read more are show.

What I'd like to do is only have the "Add Your Comment" link appear when the article is viewed in full - currently the "Add your link" appears right under the short tidbit, which I think would look better only when the full article is displayed.

I read the documentation (but i am bit tired) so don't flame me if I missed something on it. I tried the settings in the parameters for changing the position of the comment box but it didn't affect the link.

Thanks,

John

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 am

Rotten Roller wrote:hi!
there is one more little problem with the layout. in ie, everything looks fine, but firefox and opera stretch the height of the first comment-box. it's weird cause there are no margin or padding nor any objects or block elements causing this.
Hi! This is one of layout/CSS problems, that can only be solved (as I see it) during tedious process of modifications/adjustments of CSS and, maybe, layout of DIVs in templates... When I have such problem, I'm starting from duplication of this problem on a staic page (save page as "Webpage, complete" + copying CSS files...).

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Latest comments for yvComment - Feature request

Post by yvolk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 am

dArt85 wrote:I am using laltest news module to show latest comments. My problem is that all comments are stored in one category and sections. And i have to show them all or none...
EDIT: i just find out there is similiar function already implemented. I can create menu item and link it to any category i need. Only problem, that i can't have latest comments in postions like modules (left, rigt, user1 ...)
I have to create special "latest comments" module, with the option to filter comments by section and/or category of commented Articles (and not by Comments themselves) - just like "List of Comments" view, that you mention, but as Joomla!'s module...

Bobilya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

yvComment - page breaks

Post by Bobilya » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for a great extension.

I've re-re-read the manual and searched this forum for a couple hours because I thought my issue MUST have been addressed previously. :-[ Please pardon me if I missed the information.

When I have a long article with pagebreaks, the yvComment form is at the bottom of every page. Is there a way to ignore the pagebreaks and only place the form at the end of the article's last page?

Many thanks,
den

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - page breaks

Post by yvolk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 am

Bobilya wrote:When I have a long article with pagebreaks, the yvComment form is at the bottom of every page. Is there a way to ignore the pagebreaks and only place the form at the end of the article's last page?
Hi, den!
If 'Position of comments' option is set to 'Inside article box', you will have Comments on the last page only. Please, try: is this, what you need?

Bobilya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bobilya » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi Yuri,

Terrific! :D

If I may risk seeming rude, may I suggest:

Place this statement of yours in your documentation at step 6 of step-by-step configuration. Otherwise, I found the documentation excellent.

I saw your explanation about no PayPal in Russia, but is there no way a trusted friend or relative in another country couldn't set an account up for you and hold the money for you to visit on a holiday. I tried the eGold and found it a very cumbersome process to contribute the price of a pizza. I could find no way to use a credit or debit card. You have my sympathy and best wishes.

With most sincere best regards,
den

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:40 am

Bobilya wrote:If I may risk seeming rude, may I suggest:

Place this statement of yours in your documentation at step 6 of step-by-step configuration. Otherwise, I found the documentation excellent.
Thank you, Dan! I've updated the Documentation page.
BTW, these are exactly your suggestions, that encourage me to develop this documentation.
Bobilya wrote:I saw your explanation about no PayPal in Russia, but is there no way a trusted friend or relative in another country couldn't set an account up for you and hold the money for you to visit on a holiday. I tried the eGold and found it a very cumbersome process to contribute the price of a pizza. I could find no way to use a credit or debit card. You have my sympathy and best wishes.
Thank you again for the clue to the 'trusted friend' in another country: I've arranged another donation option through well-known Global e-Commerce Partner, so now you may donate by PayPal and Credit cards also. See Option 3 on the Donation page.
Anything I can do :)

Bobilya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bobilya » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Splendid!

best wishes,
den

lividsnails
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by lividsnails » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:53 pm

I just upgraded to the 1.17.1 version and think this component is much improved!

But does no one else have the problem of tags (or whatever you call them, table names, maybe) not being translated? What I mean is on my site I see "YOURALIAS" instead of "Your Name" and "ADD_YOUR_COMMENT" instead of "Add your Comment".

Can someone tell me what file to edit to fix this?
*EDIT* Nevermind! I found it! It's components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/tmpl/default.php...

I still need to figure out how to resize the text editing window. It overlaps my right hand column. How do I change the width of the text editor in the front end?

jawatech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jawatech » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:00 pm

This is an amazing extension. Thank you very much for your hard work.
Everything works great except one small thing which may just be user error: When a registered user is logged in and tries to post a comment it says "Your name is required". Is there a way to automatically use their registered username?

My website is: http://www.EnragedTexan.com
Login: guest
Pass: test1

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - How do I change the width of the text editor

Post by yvolk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 am

lividsnails wrote:I just upgraded to the 1.17.1 version and think this component is much improved!
I'm working on multipurpose 'module' for yvComment...
lividsnails wrote: I still need to figure out how to resize the text editing window. It overlaps my right hand column. How do I change the width of the text editor in the front end?
You have to create custom template and decrease some numbers, e.g.:
in "<textarea rows='8' cols='40'" change cols to, say, 30...
in "echo $this->editor->display('fulltext', ($item) ? $this->escape($item->fulltext) : '', '98%', '400', '70', '15')" decrease '400' (for WYSIWYG editor)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

'Guest' is not 'Registered user' for yvComment

Post by yvolk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 am

jawatech wrote:This is an amazing extension. Thank you very much for your hard work.
Everything works great except one small thing which may just be user error: When a registered user is logged in and tries to post a comment it says "Your name is required". Is there a way to automatically use their registered username?

My website is: http://www.EnragedTexan.com
Login: guest
Pass: test1
I tested at your site: everything works Ok: I created account, logged as myself and didn't have to enter my name to post comment...
Oh! I've got, what you did wrong!
You should not use 'guest' account as 'Registered user'!!!
'guest' is NOT registered user for yvcomment :)
Now please change password for 'guest' to something secret and forget it :laugh:

jawatech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jawatech » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:20 am

Oh OK cool! Thanks!

I'm Glad it was only my fault and not a bug.

FLA5H8ACK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - MVC Plugin-Component for Joomla! 1.5

Post by FLA5H8ACK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:23 am

YvComments
aravot wrote:In plugin there are no parameters to set.
Installed the component but is not showing in the components list.
I have searched for a solution for this problem but havent yet found any..

Can anyone help me ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.500sec.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - MVC Plugin-Component for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 am

FLA5H8ACK wrote:YvComments
aravot wrote:In plugin there are no parameters to set.
Installed the component but is not showing in the components list.
I have searched for a solution for this problem but havent yet found any..
Hi! The problem, that you are citing, whas fixed more, than a year ago, and it was confirmed by avarot...
So, it looks like you have other problem, but you gave too little information to find out, what it is... Try to start from fresh install...

FLA5H8ACK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FLA5H8ACK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 am

Fresh installation just done.

My problem is that when i go to Plugin Manager and try to click yvcomments (edit plugin) it seem to beleive that i want to edit "Authentication - Joomla" I cannot get to the plugin parameters..

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”