yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jacobastevens
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by jacobastevens » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 pm

I'd like to publicly thank Yuri Volkov for his help getting yvComment running on my site. Your help is much appreciated!

Jacob

www.rivermanmedia.com

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment and threaded comments

Post by yvolk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:42 am

yvolk wrote:
kadded wrote:The reply issue is very simple:
Configuring the comment plugin
- Allow comments on comment: one level down
--> On front end, one sees a 'reply' button appearing, meaning: one can reply on the comment but as the value defined only on the first level. So there is no 'reply' on the second level comment as expected.
-Allow comments on comment: threaded comments
--> On front end: there is no 'reply' button seen, nor on the first level, nor on the second or any other. There simply is no 'reply' button anymore. One can still add a comment as usual, but one can not comment on comments. One can only post comments of level 1.
I've tested this, and yes, there is no 'Reply button' near comment, but there is 'Reply link' or 'Number of comments' as a link, see screenshot attached.
BTW, (maybe) you have to set 'Comment linkable' parameter to 'Yes, linkable title'.
kadded wrote:On the 'reply' button:
Is it easy to insert that nevertheless?
I'll check myself to core hack this feature, however I will be doing it the 'copy paste' way since no real experience with PHP.
This is not so simple, because for 'Threaded comments' yvComment doesn't show the whole 'tree' of comments on ONE page: it works like blog of Articles: you see main thread only PLUS links ('Reply' or 'Comments (n)) to comments on the comments of this main thread. And so on for deeper levels...

On the contrary, when 'Allow comments on comment' is set to 'One level deep', yvComment DO shows all comments and all comments on comments (i.e. first and second levels only!) on one page. So, when user:
- pushes 'Reply' button,
- adds comment on comment,
- he is returned back to the same page and sees his comment on comment.

I mean, that if I would like to make interface ('Reply' buttons...) the same for threaded comments as for 'One level deep', I will have to create some new 'View' for this case, one, that will work/look good for large number of comments... I even don't know, how to (quickly) paginate such 'tree'...

kadded
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by kadded » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks for the extensive explanation. one level will have to do for now.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Option to identify Commentor using external service: OpenID.

Post by yvolk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 am

CybSBoss wrote:Do you know of a good yvComment compatible plugin that allows commentors to use their google account for their alias/email address?
...Actually not so much to log in or register with Joomla, but rather a plugin to broker an identity for comments. (Joomla's registration mechanism is SO broken... Your yvComment already does a far better job, so I am only attempting to find workable solutions based on yvComment that make things even better for my users.)
...I do not generally like blog hosting services, but this type of identity brokering is quite popular with users because it greatly decreases the amount of typing they have to do to enter a comment, and it allows them to have a more uniform identity if they comment frequently on different sites.
Thank you, CybSBoss, for the references to solutions, that use some 'identification brokering'. I found such examples on blooger.com and on IntenseDebate.com.
I also found very new Authentication Manager plugin for Joomla! 1.5, that not only authenticates user using external services (including OpenID compatible...), but may automatically add him to the "Joomla's users"... (it may work with yvComment out of the box...)

As I've got from above mentioned sites, there may be these types of Authors of comments (Commentors) from 'BlogSystem' (e.g. Joomla):
1. User of this system (has ID inside BlogSystem)
2. Somebody, who is not User of BlogSystem, but who was authenticated by trusted external service during posting of comment.
3. Somebody, who typed his 'OpenID' or some other 'Globally Unique IDentifier', but who didn't prove, that he really owns that OpenID.
4. Somebody, who is totally Anonymous.

As I understand you, you talk about 'Type 2' Commentors?!
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

jfmateos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jfmateos » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I have inserted a yvComment module in my site´s front page, but this module shows the comments to special access categories to anonymous users.

Doesn´t yvComment take into account the access level (public, register, special) of articles?

Thanks

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi

Has anyone attempted and managed to implement the image reload function in the OSTWigits CAPTCHA plugin when using yvComments?
By default, it is enabled in freecap (the script upon which the plugin is based). However for some reason, the
the plugin developer has not included it.

Anyway, I have been trying to intruduce it into my yvComments implementation but have only been having partial
success.

The following should reload a new image without refreshing the whole page (I tested out after downloading the freecap CAPTCHA script).

Code: Select all

If you can't read the word, <a href="#" onClick="this.blur();new_freecap();return false;">click here</a>
However nothing happens in yvComments when the "click here" link is clicked. The code was inserted in "components/com_yvcomments/views/comment/tmpl/default.php" around line 271.

On the other hand, the following code works.

If you can't read the word, <input type="submit" value="Change Image" onclick="this.blur();new_freecap();return false;" />
This latter code snippet however results in the entire page being refreshed. This is fine but has certain drawbacks. Firstly it takes longer than having only the image refreshed and secondly it clears any entries already entered in the the text boxes (name, subject, email, comment, word verification). This second issue can be quite an annoying inconvenience if a lengthy comment had been written.

I have tried including the function which loads the image directly in the file mentioned above and some other hacks but I have had no success in refreshing only the image. I would be extremely grateful, if anyone has a solution or ideas.

Regards
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Jrox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Nowhere to add comments on frontend.

Post by Jrox » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey! Average joomla user here, I've done quite a few sites and installed MANY extensions. I've just updated to 1.5.8 from 1.5.3 (could this be the problem?), installed the component, module, and plugin; YvComment 1.19.3. I can see the module just fine and also the component. The only option I have under the component is "List of comments", is that correct? My main problem is that I do not have anywhere to post comments... nothing shows up on my articles. I've set the section ID, category ID, and even the article ID and still nothing. I've tried leaving it blank (to allow comments on all articles) but nothing. The plugin is linked to section/category of comments/yvcomments

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:39 pm

@ Jrox

Yes "List of comments" is the only option via the Component section of the extension. For other options you need to access the Plugin part accessible in the Plugin Manager. After reading your post, I reckon that you have already figured this out. Possible reasons for the non-appearance of the "Add your comment" link:

1. The plugin is disabled
2. "Allow guest to add comments" is set to "No"
3. "Position of comments on the Frontpage" is set to "Hide"
4. Filling in the "List of Sections IDs of Sections/Categories/Articles which may, or may not, contain comments" fields (this may not apply in your case as you have indicated that you have tested tried these options)

Regards
Last edited by dizzi on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...

Jrox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jrox » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Ah! Indeed it was the 'allow guest to post comment' setting. I overlooked it many times. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mexico86
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mexico86 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 am

Looks like a good code.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Captcha image reload function for yvComment

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 am

dizzi wrote:Has anyone attempted and managed to implement the image reload function in the OSTWigits CAPTCHA plugin when using yvComments?
Hi! Please look at the existing Javascript code for "Delay loading captcha image" option.
You may try to use the same technique for reloading image

In the 'components\com_yvcomment\views\comment\tmpl\default.php' file something near 'yvcomment_delay_captcha_image'...
Last edited by yvolk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Captcha image reload function for yvComment

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 am

(Please delete this message)

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Captcha image reload function for yvComment

Post by dizzi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 am

yvolk wrote: Hi! Please look at the existing Javascript code for "Delay loading captcha image" option.
You may try to use the same technique for reloading image

In the 'components\com_yvcomment\views\comment\tmpl\default.php' file something near 'yvcomment_delay_captcha_image'...
Cheers Yuri m8, I'll test this out to see how it goes

Regards

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Ok

I have been testing this out for a while and thought that the following would work but it did not:

<a href="#"<?php if ($this->params->get('yvcomment_use_captcha')) {
echo ' onclick="document.getElementById(\'captcharow'
. $idSuffix . '\').style.display=\'block\'; document.getElementById(\'captcha'
.	$idSuffix . '\').src=\'' . JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_yvcomment&task=displaycaptcha') 
. '\'; document.getElementById(\'secretwordrow'
. $idSuffix . '\').style.display=\'block\'; "';
} ?>> click here to change image</a>
I simply copied the code which generates the image when the comment text area gets the focus (activated when "Delay loading captcha image" is enabled) and replaced "onfocus" with "onclick". Evidently this is not sufficient or I am completely way off :). Any ideas?

Regards

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

How to reload Captcha image in yvComment

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:13 am

dizzi wrote:I have been testing this out for a while and thought that the following would work but it did not...
I simply copied the code which generates the image when the comment text area gets the focus (activated when "Delay loading captcha image" is enabled) and replaced "onfocus" with "onclick". Evidently this is not sufficient or I am completely way off :). Any ideas?
1. The 'src' attribute of the image doesn't change, so Browser doesn't reload image.
2. You may try to add to the URL of src some random number, e.g. '&rnd=XXX' - this will not change logic, but will force reloading of image.
3. Captcha plugins don't like many reloading attempts...
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Access level of comments in yvComment

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:26 am

jfmateos wrote:I have inserted a yvComment module in my site´s front page, but this module shows the comments to special access categories to anonymous users.

Doesn´t yvComment take into account the access level (public, register, special) of articles?

Thanks
1. Access level of comment and access level of the article are different things now...
2. Even when user creates comment on some 'register'-level article, this comment has default (i.e. 'public') access level.

Do you want any comment always have the same access level as the (parent) article?

pacca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pacca » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm

sorry ... i have intalled the component ...

opening the plug-in i cannot se the parameters ... and i cannot configure the comment ...

why ?

pacca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pacca » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:04 pm

trying to uninstall che module i receive the followin error

JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted. D:\Inetpub\webs\stepinnoworg\public\step1\modules\mod_yvcomment
JInstaller::install: ERRORXMLSETUP
JFolder::delete: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted. D:\Inetpub\webs\stepinnoworg\public\step1\modules\mod_yvcomment
Module Uninstall: Package manifest file invalid or not found

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 pm

pacca wrote: opening the plug-in i cannot set the parameters ... and i cannot configure the comment ...
trying to uninstall the module i receive the followin error
JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted....
These errors are related to general Joomla! installation... they are not yvcomment specific. Please try to find answers in e.g. "Extensions" forum...

lopnorth
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lopnorth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I love YVComment! Thanks for such a great product! I would like to change the text wording "Add your comment" above the form to something else? Is that possible? Again, thanks for the great product!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

lopnorth wrote:I love YVComment! Thanks for such a great product! I would like to change the text wording "Add your comment" above the form to something else? Is that possible? Again, thanks for the great product!
Hi, thank you for your words :-)
...The easiest way to customize any text strings is to modify language file: 'administrator\language\en-GB\en-GB.com_yvcomment.ini' for English language.
Only don't forget to make backup of you modified file in a case of upgrade...

lopnorth
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lopnorth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:41 pm

It worked perfectly!! Thank you! Thank you! :)

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: How to reload Captcha image in yvComment

Post by dizzi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 am

yvolk wrote: 2. You may try to add to the URL of src some random number, e.g. '&rnd=XXX' - this will not change logic, but will force reloading of image.
3. Captcha plugins don't like many reloading attempts...
Hmmm I've tried your suggestion above but I still can't get this to work. I updated the "src" attribute as follows - the (a) and (b) are not part of the code, they just indicate different alterations:

(a) src=\'' . '/joom03/plugins/system/freecap/freecap.php' . '&rnd5'
(b) src=\'' . '/joom03/plugins/system/freecap/freecap.php' . 'Math.rand()'
I tried some other modifications but they did not work either. I reckon that the method I am using to present the "src" attribute is incorrect. If anyone can use the path provided and the code provided earlier to post an example, I would be extremely grateful.

Regards

jfmateos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Access level of comments in yvComment

Post by jfmateos » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:45 pm

yvolk wrote:Do you want any comment always have the same access level as the (parent) article?
Yes that is exactly what I would like... :D

Congratulations on your marvellous and unique extension.

prommart
I've been banned!

Post by prommart » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:35 am

I want feature select all for section and category for comments. If have this feature it very best extension. Thank you.

kellman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kellman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:52 pm

How is it possible to change the default font size used for commenting?

I have included a screenshot sample to show exactly how small this text is displaying.

yvComment v.1.19.3
Joomla v1.5.8

Best Regards,

Kelly

ps. This is a wonderful extension :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kellman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kellman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:27 pm

[Problem Resolved]

[Solution]

** edit CSS stylesheet and add "font-size = xxx%;"

[Example]

Line 192
div.yvComment div.Comment .Fulltext {
/*
border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
*/
border-top: 1px solid #EEEEEE;
clear: both;
/* padding: 5px;*/
text-align: left;
font-size: 140%; << Insert addition line of code here, change percentage as needed>>

webbuilder
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webbuilder » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 am

Hi i use Yvcomment for the first time ... i installed Component + plugin
i opened an article and i see the following message how can i solve that??

This content item (id=6; title='???? ') is Comment (based on its SectionID), but it has no parent Article (its parentid=0). Please ensure that there are Comments only in this 'Section for comments': id=2; title='????'.

Thanks!!
Web Design - Internet Consultants
Web Builders

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:42 am

Hi, this means, that you didn't follow instructions on the Homepage :-)
- you reused existing Section (section, that has e.g. THIS article) for comments instead of creating new one...
webbuilder wrote:Hi i use Yvcomment for the first time ... i installed Component + plugin
i opened an article and i see the following message how can i solve that??

This content item (id=6; title='???? ') is Comment (based on its SectionID), but it has no parent Article (its parentid=0). Please ensure that there are Comments only in this 'Section for comments': id=2; title='????'.

Thanks!!

webbuilder
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webbuilder » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:57 am

thanks now i understand......
Web Design - Internet Consultants
Web Builders

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”