yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
osj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by osj » Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 pm

First thanks for a great plug-in to Joomla 1.5.

I have installed the 1.3.0 version of yvComment on Joomla 1.5 Beta2, and it is working okay in normal article views - I can write and view comments.

My doubt is if this also should work in a "Category Blog Layout". When I use the blog layout, I see this under each article in the blog: This is comment of ""

If there is added any comments to the article in the normal view, I also see this in the blog layout: Comments (1)

However I cannot read the comment or link to it from the blog. I would also like to have the option to add comments directly from the blog.

Any ideas if this a only a local problem for me, or can someone give some hints if I need to modify something? (I am new to Joomla, so please explain in details)

Thanks...Ole

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue May 29, 2007 5:21 am

Hi, Ole!
osj wrote: When I use the blog layout, I see this under each article in the blog: This is comment of ""
This means, that your configured "Section for comments" has Articles, that are not comments.
To avoid this message, please create new section for comments and don't add "Normal" articles to it.
... Anyway, I'll improve yvComment to be smart enough not to show such "empty links".
osj wrote: If there is added any comments to the article in the normal view, I also see this in the blog layout: Comments (1)
However I cannot read the comment or link to it from the blog. I would also like to have the option to add comments directly from the blog.
yvComment is designed to show comments of articles AND "Add your comment" form in "Article view" only, i.e. when only one article is shown.

In order to have links to the "Article view" of blog items, you have to configure that "Blog view" ( set "Linked titles" parameter to "Yes". This parameter is under "Component configuration" on the "Edit menu item" form).

I don't think, that it is convenient to add comment to the 'Blog item", not seeing other comments...

We may discuss this... Maybe you will find some example or describe, what you think about in more details...
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

osj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by osj » Tue May 29, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks for the fast reply.

I understand your idea with the title links in the blog view, and I have activated that - I think that is a okay solution. In that way it is possibly to see how many comments is on a blog article, and then click on the "Read more.." to see the comments.

However I do not understand that I see "This is comment of """ in the blog view, when you say that yvComment is design to only show/add comments in the normal article view.

There are no non comment articles in the section I use for comments.

Best regards...Ole

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue May 29, 2007 12:12 pm

osj wrote: However I do not understand that I see "This is comment of """ in the blog view, when you say that yvComment is design to only show/add comments in the normal article view.

There are no non comment articles in the section I use for comments.
To understand each other, lets talk in terms of scenarios ;)
Below I will present scenario "How to show "This is comment of "Joomla! Overview"" in the Category blog layout view"

Prerequisites:
1. Joomla! 1.5 Beta 2 with sample data installed.
2. yvComment 1.3.0. installed.
3. New Section and category for Comments created (their names are "Comments section" and "Comments category" respectively).
4. yvComment configured:
- to use that above mentioned section and category ("Section for comments" and "Category for comments" parameters)
- to "Use Content Table".

Scenario:
1. (Backend) In the Main menu create new menu item with name "Comments (category blog)" of type "Category Blog Layout". Set category to "Category for Comments".
2. (Frontend) See new menu item "Comments (category blog)" in the Main menu.
3. Click "Joomla! Overview" in the main menu. See the "Add your comment form" below the article
4. Add comment with title "Test comment 1". See the comment below the Article "Joomla! Overview".
5. Click "Comments (category blog)" in the Main menu
6. See your comment with title "Test comment 1".
7. See "This is comment of "Joomla! Overview"" linkable text below the comment.

Ok? Where something is wrong? Give me your scenario, if you have questions?
Last edited by yvolk on Tue May 29, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

osj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by osj » Tue May 29, 2007 2:21 pm

Okay - sorry, my mistake. Now I understand what I have done wrong.

I had misunderstood the Section / Category - so you are absolutely correct, I do have non-comments articles in the comment SECTION (but not in the Category)

I thought the Section selection was to select in which section the comment plug-in should be active, but now I see that is is selected with the Section ID instead.

Concerning showing comments in blog layout, now it is possibly to see how many comments is added to an article, but it is not possibly to open the comments (no link) if not using the "Read more.." option by enabling title link.

I still think it would be nice with an option to add links in the blog layout to see and add comments. I don't know what would be the best way to implement this. I understand that is is not a good solution to show all the comments directly in the blog, maybe a pop-up could be used when clicking on links to Comments(1) / Add comment?

What I want is just to ensure that users reading my blog feels invited to add comments, and also make easy access to read comments from others users related to the article.

Thanks a lot!
Ole

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Thu May 31, 2007 10:33 pm

Hey Yuri;

I've got a bad word detector done now, I'll package it up for you to test out. Best thing to implement would be to see if the class exists, then call the internal functions.

I started working on captcha, however it seems harder then I thought it would be from a plug-in standpoint. I'm going to hack away at it again this weekend.
Thank you for calling the GOD department. What Now?
- My Blog: http://www.coolacid.net

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:23 am

CoolAcid wrote: I've got a bad word detector done now, I'll package it up for you to test out. Best thing to implement would be to see if the class exists, then call the internal functions.
I understand, that yvComment should treat your extensions just like some sort of Joomla!'s optional core components...
CoolAcid wrote: I started working on captcha, however it seems harder then I thought it would be from a plug-in standpoint. I'm going to hack away at it again this weekend.
You need to develop some protocol to exchange information between Captcha and "Caller" (other soft, e.g. yvComment).
I see something like this:
1. Caller asks Captcha to create new instance (of process).
2. Captcha returns back unique "instanceid".
(both Captcha and Caller remember many instanceIDs AND other needed information, associated with each instance)
3. Caller shows page to the user, including link to the Captcha, that includes that instanceID...
m. Caller asks Captcha, did it show some "secret text" to anybody (by URL, that includes that instanceID), and if yes, then what was that text.
n. Caller asks Captcha to delete that instance

cosmicfantasia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cosmicfantasia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 am

Hi Yvolk,

Sorry for the late reply. Had a bit of extra time and thought I would come back to this to help test.

I've got 7357. See line from changelog below:

* @version $Id: CHANGELOG.php 7357 2007-05-04 19:51:39Z jinx $

Any other thoughts?

Cosmic... :)
Total Web Presence for Good People doing Good Things > cosmicfantasia.net.au
Alternative New and Views for the Progressive Community > cosmicfantasia.com

If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere - Vincent Van Gogh

cosmicfantasia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cosmicfantasia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:51 am

PS. Thanks for the heads up on how to have a recent comments module for your comments.
Total Web Presence for Good People doing Good Things > cosmicfantasia.net.au
Alternative New and Views for the Progressive Community > cosmicfantasia.com

If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere - Vincent Van Gogh

Corona4456
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - MVC Plugin-Component for Joomla! 1.5

Post by Corona4456 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 pm

CoolAcid wrote: try param type="section"?

Like:

** UNTESTED **
As of the latest version size="20" has no effect due to the following line of code:

File: list.php
Line: 234

Code: Select all

$category = JHTML::_('select.genericlist',   $sections, $name, 'class="inputbox" size="1" '. $javascript, 'value', 'text', $active );
Since size is hardcoded.  Is there any plan for allowing this to be modified? (i.e. variable size)

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:38 am

Yuri;

Here is some nice JS to add accordion effect to your comments..

window.addEvent('domready', function() {
    var accordion = new Accordion('div.Header', 'div.fulltext', {
        opacity: false,
        onActive: function(toggler, element){
            toggler.setStyle('color', '#ff3300');
        },

onBackground: function(toggler, element){
            toggler.setStyle('color', '#222');
        }
    }, $('yvComment'));
});

Dump that into a .js file and add it to the $doc with addScript('filename') just like your CSS.

I would recommend you move your .css and add this .js file to /assets for completeness.

Should also change that toggler.setStyle to change the class from one class to the other instead of hard coding it (look up the mootools docs, or let me know and I'll fix it).

Since J! 1.5 is based on mootools, there is nothing more you need to add. Works great too :)

I know, I still need to get you that badwords thing - I just need to figure out packaging :)

Cheers,
Jay

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:21 pm

CoolAcid wrote: Here is some nice JS to add accordion effect to your comments...
...var accordion = new Accordion('div.Header', 'div.fulltext',...
Thank you, I tried this and it works... but it, of cause, needs much improvement to be flexible enough for many users of this extension...
CoolAcid wrote: I know, I still need to get you that badwords thing - I just need to figure out packaging :)
Yes, this is a problem I'm also thinking about  :( ... but I've just found interesting thread on these topic: "Location of common code in components?". I think, that idea to put such common code ("libraries") in a plugin (or component...) and then load that library using
JPluginHelper::importPlugin('myplugin') - is a good way to go:
louis.landry wrote: As for making sure that the libraries you expect are present..
just do a plugin import

// Import test libraries
JPluginHelper::importPlugin('test');

and then check for a define that you know to exist in your library set.  If it isn't there.. die gracefully
I'm figuring out now, how to add BBCode and Smiley support to my extension and I don't want to have "yvComment's BBCode" and "yvComment's Smileys": it will be good to have e.g. one Smiley component for the whole site, so usage of smileys will be consistent and the list of smileys will be configured in one place...

incode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incode » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 am

cosmicfantasia wrote:
When I turn the plugin on I get 'yvComment task=; ArticleID=0; yvCommentID=0' on the page. It is @ the top of the page too, even though I selected 'Below Article box'.

Yeah Im having the exact same problem, perhaps it is broken in the latest build?
I installed the module and plugin and no matter what settings I use I get the same issue as above

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:31 am

incode wrote:
cosmicfantasia wrote: When I turn the plugin on I get 'yvComment task=; ArticleID=0; yvCommentID=0' on the page. It is @ the top of the page too, even though I selected 'Below Article box'.

Yeah Im having the exact same problem, perhaps it is broken in the latest build?
I installed the module and plugin and no matter what settings I use I get the same issue as above
Hi, Incode!
I've tried to get more information from Cosmicfantasia to solve this issue, but I didn't get answer from him. So, I don't know, how to reproduce the error :(

If you'll give me enough information, how to reproduce the error, we'll solve the problem :)
I see two alternative ways for this:
1. You give me access to your site, so I may see everything myself, test different versions etc. This way I won't ask much question from you, except, maybe, "give me exact URL of the page, where I may see the error"
2. I don't have access to your site, so you're my eyes and hands :)
Use latest build of yvComment (downloaded from the homepage)
Please give me as much information, as you can:
2.1 The best way: please try to reproduce this error on the fresh install of Joomla!, so I may repeat all  the steps, that you will describe (see this scenario for example).
2.2 Give me exact URL of the page, the caused error.
2.3 Add screenshots (of the page with error, of yvComment settings...)
Waiting for your response!

incode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incode » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi Yvolk,

Thanks for your quick response.
Originally when I installed ycomment I thought I had gone through the process correctly but I will do a complete re-install of Joomla (most recent nightly build), and yvcomment, document the process I use and send you some screenshots.
I cant give you access to the url unfortunately as its an intranet site.

I will try and do this asap, again many thanks for the quick response, great to see such excellent support available for the extension. Im sure this will bode well for it in the future.  :)

Cheers

incode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incode » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi Yvolk,

Ok heres what I did.
1. Downloaded latest nightly build of joomla! 1.5 from the svn.
2. Downloaded latest yvcomment from your homepage.

3. installed joomla! on the server. PHP Version 4.3.9  MySQL v5.0.18 
4. attempted to install yvcomment component but had an issue with permissions on the language folder so uninstalled it and changed permissions on all folders via ftp client
5. reinstalled yvcomment comment... success!
6. installed yvcomment plugin... success!
7. published yvcomment plugin and went to config screen for plugin
8. Default settings used except for...
  content table - no
  guest comments - yes

9. settings saved
10. previewed an article in firefox and got the attached screenshot (cropped).

No matter what I change the settings to I get the same result.

Hope this helps to shed some light.  I actually dont need to use this extension at the moment, clients requirements changed to a forum instead so no hurry for me but I dont think this will be an isolated error.

If theres anything else I can do to help let me know

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:56 pm

incode wrote: If theres anything else I can do to help let me know
Hi, Incode!
I've figured out, that this is PHP incompatibility issue: I'm developing on PHP 5.1.2 and you have PHP 4.
...When I've switched to PHP version 4, I've got the same error :(
Ok, the error is reproduced, so I'll try to fix it.

Thank you!
----
Edited: I've found and fixed that bug, so PHP4-compatible version of yvComment (1.4) will be available soon...  :D
Last edited by yvolk on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

incode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incode » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks mate, awesome

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey Yuri;

I have finally created a project on joomlacode to house my wigits : http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/ostwigits/

I'll send Badwords and Captcha to SVN tonight I hope, and write some docs in the wiki soon after.

Cheers,
Jay

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - version 1.4 released

Post by yvolk » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:33 pm

What's new in v.1.4:
1. Fixed PHP-language incompatibilities, that prevented yvComment  from work under PHP4. Now yvComment supports both PHP4 and PHP5!
2. Added backend view of comments, in admin menu: Components->yvComment->List of Comments. Administrator may view, edit and delete comments from this view. 
2. Added "Link 'Comments(n)' text to some other page" parameter with values:
'No' - 'Comments(n)' text is not linkable
'Article page with comments' - 'Comments(n)' text is a link. If there are no comments for the Article, the text of the link is changed to the 'Add your comment'.
3. Added "Max characters in the text of comment" parameter.
4. Added "Primary order" parameter enabling to sort comments (in plugin) by date (olderst or most recent first).
5. Added check of Joomla!'s build number. New "Enable Joomla!'s version check warning" parameter may be used to disable warnings.
6. Error reporting improved. This effort was done to make it easier for Administrator to figure out the cause of the problem and in the end - to help him (or her) make yvComment work properly  :).

I'm waiting for your replies!
CoolAcid wrote: I'll send Badwords and Captcha to SVN tonight I hope, and write some docs in the wiki soon after.
I see, that I will be busy with incorporating these into the next version of yvComment  :D. Thank you, Jay!

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:08 am

Hey Yuri;

Small bug:

$MayAdd = (($yvComment->getConfigValue('allow_guest_add', 0) != 0 ) or ($user->get('aid') > 0) ) and ($this->get('ArticleSectionAddEnabled'));
If you allow guests, and are not logged in, and is a excluded section, $MayAdd will become True:

$MayAdd = (YES OR NO) AND NO === True  (NO AND NO) === TRUE
Fix?:

$uaid = $user->get('aid');
$MayAdd = ((($yvComment->getConfigValue('allow_guest_add', 0) != 0 ) and ($uaid = 0)) or ($uaid > 0)) and ($this->get('ArticleSectionAddEnabled'));

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:33 am

One other thing - is there any functions I can call to use this in something other then com_content?

I'm trying to use this in a different component I'm making  -- I'm just thinking you'd need some sort of ID to reference..

I'll have to think about this.
Last edited by CoolAcid on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:52 am

CoolAcid wrote: Small bug:

$MayAdd = (($yvComment->getConfigValue('allow_guest_add', 0) != 0 ) or ($user->get('aid') > 0) ) and ($this->get('ArticleSectionAddEnabled'));
If you allow guests, and are not logged in, and is a excluded section, $MayAdd will become True:
Thank you, this is strange (for me ) behaviour of the 'and' PHP operator (and, maybe 'or' also). I should use only '&&' and '||' instead of them for boolean comparisons... So, the fix is simply to change 'and' to '&&' (and I changed 'or' to '||' also):

$MayAdd = (($yvComment->getConfigValue('allow_guest_add', 0) != 0 )
      || ($user->get('aid') > 0) ) 
      && ($this->get('ArticleSectionAddEnabled'));
- this works as intended.

CoolAcid wrote: One other thing - is there any functions I can call to use this in something other then com_content?

I'm trying to use this in a different component I'm making  -- I'm just thinking you'd need some sort of ID to reference..
You mean using the same yvComment plugin for some other component (not only for the "com_content")?!

This is very interesting question, it is related to the extension of com_content, and it is discussed in the "Generic Pattern to extend com_content"

For now, I think, that you may make content of your component look like content of article, so you will be able to utilize any "content" plugin, and not just yvComment, and don't refer to them... I thought about this, and it looks like yvComment would work correctly only if you will store content of your component in the same "#__content" table, as Articles (and as yvComment does by default)...

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CoolAcid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:23 pm

CoolAcid wrote: One other thing - is there any functions I can call to use this in something other then com_content?

You mean using the same yvComment plugin for some other component (not only for the "com_content")?!

This is very interesting question, it is related to the extension of com_content, and it is discussed in the "Generic Pattern to extend com_content"

For now, I think, that you may make content of your component look like content of article, so you will be able to utilize any "content" plugin, and not just yvComment, and don't refer to them... I thought about this, and it looks like yvComment would work correctly only if you will store content of your component in the same "#__content" table, as Articles (and as yvComment does by default)...

Could you document which parts of the article you use? So i can tie into those parts. I don't want to have to mimic a whole article just to get at extensions.

Even if you had a few hooks your self:

showcomments()
showcominput()

would be a good place to start - this would allow us (me) to use the component outside of com_content. Only other thing would be to find a way to referance the data in your tables -- even if we pass our plugin name to the functions and our id's - this would allow you to build unique IDs for all the componeds (com + ourid)

[/quote]

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:21 pm

CoolAcid wrote: Could you document which parts of the article you use? So i can tie into those parts. I don't want to have to mimic a whole article just to get at extensions.

Even if you had a few hooks your self:

showcomments()
showcominput()

would be a good place to start - this would allow us (me) to use the component outside of com_content. Only other thing would be to find a way to reference the data in your tables -- even if we pass our plugin name to the functions and our id's - this would allow you to build unique IDs for all the components (com + ourid)
yvComment (plugin + component) uses many properties of the Article, that is being commented, including:
1) id; title; text; sectionid; categoryid;
2) access; "view" of article (in plugin mode); ...

I think, you may use (call) yvComment Component just like it is used by yvComment plugin (see plugins/content/yvcomment.php). Or you may even create new plugin, that will use yvComment component.
...but I strongly recommend you to store (at least, part of) your component's data in #__content table, so you won't have most problems (including ID and access level).
  I'm thinking about "extending of com_content": I may add some parameter to yvComment, that will help yvComment to distinguish between different "types of content" by SectionID of that content (just like yvComment itself distinguishes between "Comments" and general "Articles" now). So, for example, you will have ability to configure: "When referencing content with sectionID=25, refer to the com_somecomponent (instead of com_content)", so yvComment will make correct links to the content items (now it always put com_content in the link to the article)... BTW, I may even add option to see "Comments" in special view of com_yvcomment instead of com_content as it is now...

frollino
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by frollino » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Hello. I'm trying to install your great extension on Joomla 1.5 beta 2 but I have a problem...

The plugin installation is ok but when I try to install the component I get a warning message:

# JOOMLA_VERSION_WARNINGCURRENT_VERSION_OF_JOOMLA
--
yvComment extension, version="1.4.2"

...and the component doesn't work.

Can you help me?

Many thanks!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:14 pm

frollino wrote: Hello. I'm trying to install your great extension on Joomla 1.5 beta 2 but I have a problem...

The plugin installation is ok but when I try to install the component I get a warning message:

# JOOMLA_VERSION_WARNINGCURRENT_VERSION_OF_JOOMLA
--
yvComment extension, version="1.4.2"
...and the component doesn't work.
Hi, here what I may presume, given this information:
1. As you may read on the Homepage of yvComment, warning about version of Joomla! is normal, this means, that yvComment could detect version of Joomla! and that warning should suggest you to install more recent version of Joomla!
2. There was no language file for your language, so some constants weren't substituted by readable strings. So, I may suppose, that language of your Administrator interface is not English, nor Russian.
3. So, there is no sign, that yvComment doesn't work: please read instructions on the Homepage of yvComment. Good luck!

risp
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by risp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 pm

I haven't had time to check your component yet, but I think i got the solution for the spam problem: Akismet (http://akismet.com/)

It checks wether a entry is spam or not, so the user can post comments without being bothered with a CAPTPCA check. I already implemented it for myself with akocomment and so far all the spam is gone. If you need any help on this just give me a PM.

I'm not really sure if this belongs in the comment component. Maybe a plugin is better?

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:36 pm

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:11 am

risp wrote: I haven't had time to check your component yet, but I think i got the solution for the spam problem: Akismet (http://akismet.com/)
Thank you, this sounds like good technology (my Web-mail provider uses something like this...). I'll try to intergate it to yvComment.
risp wrote: I'm not really sure if this belongs in the comment component. Maybe a plugin is better?
Of cause, this should be separate extension.
As aravot pointed out, there is such extension already... unfortunately, it's for Joomla! 1.0 ... so I'll have to wait or redo the extension myself  :(

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”