yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Snollygoster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by Snollygoster » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Hello all,

I just installed the latest version and I can't get CAPTCHA to work as the image does not appear... Can anyone help me with that?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:25 pm

Snollygoster wrote:Hello all,

I just installed the latest version and I can't get CAPTCHA to work as the image does not appear... Can anyone help me with that?
Please go to that CAPTCHA's support forum, e.g. Bigo Captcha

rshrivastav_7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rshrivastav_7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:47 am

Hi,
I just downloaded yvcomment. Thanks for the great extension :). However i have a problem. In my website, i am trying to position a adsense block just after the article ends. When i try to publish yvcomment, the ad code goes below the comment form. How can i reverse it? ie i want the article content, followed by the ad block and then the comment form. Please help :(

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Comments after other plugin

Post by yvolk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:14 am

rshrivastav_7 wrote:Hi,
In my website, i am trying to position a adsense block just after the article ends. When i try to publish yvcomment, the ad code goes below the comment form. How can i reverse it? ie i want the article content, followed by the ad block and then the comment form. Please help :(
I think you should change the "Order" of plugins in "Plugin manager".

titush
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by titush » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 am

Hi everyone, I love the yvcomments extension (I am using it with joomla 1.5).

One question though: what and how do I need to modify to get the component displayed next to the read more text on the front page, as opposed to below:

RIGHT NOW:

TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT

READ MORE...

ADD COMMENT

DESIRED:

TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT

READ MORE... | ADD COMMENT

Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance, Titus

rshrivastav_7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rshrivastav_7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:52 pm

i use joomlaspan's adsense code. That comes under module. I tried to tinker the order from 1 to 7 but since the adsense was a module i did not get the form to move in the front end. Is there any other way :(

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - v.1.16.0 released

Post by yvolk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:15 am

yvComment v.1.16.0 released, and it gives users much more freedom to place yvComment's text to exact place, that you want 8)

What's new in v.1.16.0:
1. Added new value: 'Defined by Article template', - for the 'Position of comments' option. This new value is for people, creating their own templates for the Joomla! site, for those, who want to have full control of the places, where the HTML text of the yvComment plugin would be inserted.
When this value is selected, yvComment plugin doesn't add itself its HTML text output to the predefined place of the page (e.g. it doesn't uppend its output to the text of the article). Instead, it creates new attribute of the article: 'comments', - and writes text, that it created, there. (The 'comments' attribute is not stored in the database)
To place this text onto the page something like this should be added to the article's template (or frontpage, blog...):

Code: Select all

<?php if (isset($this->item->comments)) : ?>
	<?php echo $this->item->comments; ?>
<?php endif; ?>
Please note, that in this case yvComment's templates should be also customized. E.g. you may want to delete additional DIVs around 'Add your comment' text to place it in line with 'Read more...' on the frontpage. You may also decide do not have yvComment for some view of your content...

2. Added 'Author mentioned by' option with two values: 'Name' (default) and 'Username'. Now you may see Username of the Author of comment (or Article) in addition to the 'Name'. Both Name and Username are taken from 'User details' (see Joomla!'s "User Manager").
Please note, that currently Joomla! core can show 'Name' only for the Author of the Article, so this feature is ahead of the Joomla!'s core.

3. Added 'Category for comments' parameter, allowing for Category IDs (categories of Articles to be commented) to be included or excluded (in addition to the Section IDs, that were earlier).

(Download)

titush
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by titush » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:34 am

Sounds great, thanks for updating yvcomments so quickly... I will give it a try tonight and let you know if it works!

All the best and thanks again,

Titus

aprilg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aprilg » Fri May 09, 2008 6:22 am

I installed yvComment 1.16 and configured according to the instructions. I do not want to allow guests to comment, so did not enable that. I did create the section and category. I do not have anything like smilies enabled. The comment box is not appearing, though. I have looked at the front page and at specific article views, and still cannot see the comment box. I left the default for it to appear after the article.

I'm using Joomla! 1.5.3 in native mode.

EDITED: I got it working. The problem was in the file permissions on my host, not yvComment itself. Thanks! It is working well.
Last edited by aprilg on Wed May 14, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giogio123456
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by giogio123456 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Really nice job!! ;)

aprilg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aprilg » Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Well, my problem is not resolved as I thought in previous post. yvComments was working this morning, and now has disappeared again. I rechecked all the file permissions and they are okay. Does anybody have an idea of what might be causing it to disappear? The test comment I entered this morning still shows up, but nothing on any other article.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu May 15, 2008 6:49 am

aprilg wrote:Well, my problem is not resolved as I thought in previous post. yvComments was working this morning, and now has disappeared again. I rechecked all the file permissions and they are okay. Does anybody have an idea of what might be causing it to disappear? The test comment I entered this morning still shows up, but nothing on any other article.
1. Try to log in to the frontend
2. Check access level of yvComment plugin...

jnotti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jnotti » Thu May 15, 2008 5:00 pm

This extension is AWESOME! Truly great work!

I have a question.. I need to show a list of the latest 3 comments made in a category. I have created a latestnews module and entered the category id of the articles that I would like to show the latest comments. Instead of displaying the comments, it displays the latest articles.

I see that you mention entering the section/category id of comments but I don't have a section/category specifically for comments.

I had the plugin configured to not use the content table.. and when I set it to Yes, it still displays articles in the latest news module and displays all of the articles in the category in the yvcomment list in the back end.

How exactly can I only display the latest comments?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri May 16, 2008 5:45 am

jnotti wrote:This extension is AWESOME! Truly great work!

I have a question.. I need to show a list of the latest 3 comments made in a category. I have created a latestnews module and entered the category id of the articles that I would like to show the latest comments. Instead of displaying the comments, it displays the latest articles.
"Latestnews" module doesn't know about existence of yvComment, so it can show Articles only. BUT, if you "Use content table" for yvComments, comments become just some type of an Article.
So, in order to see comments with some "Latestnews module" (or any other module, designed for articles...), you have to configure that "Latestnews module" to show Articles of the your predefined "Comment" Section or Category (not Section or Category of commented articles).
jnotti wrote: I see that you mention entering the section/category id of comments but I don't have a section/category specifically for comments.
This is why you see "general articles" as comments.

And another advice: if you want yvComment to work for you, start from strictly following instructions on the homepage. And only after you will have everything working ok, you may play with other (not supposed by the manual) configurations...

aprilg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aprilg » Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 pm

yvolk wrote:
aprilg wrote:Well, my problem is not resolved as I thought in previous post. yvComments was working this morning, and now has disappeared again. I rechecked all the file permissions and they are okay. Does anybody have an idea of what might be causing it to disappear? The test comment I entered this morning still shows up, but nothing on any other article.
1. Try to log in to the frontend
2. Check access level of yvComment plugin...
Thanks for your reply. I have checked those and they are okay. Actually, after giving it some thought I have decided to allow guest commenters as well. I will make the changes to that part of it this weekend and go back through everything again. If I still experience problems following the changes, I'll let you know. Thanks for your time.

jnotti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jnotti » Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 pm

yvolk wrote:
jnotti wrote:This extension is AWESOME! Truly great work!

"Latestnews" module doesn't know about existence of yvComment, so it can show Articles only. BUT, if you "Use content table" for yvComments, comments become just some type of an Article.
So, in order to see comments with some "Latestnews module" (or any other module, designed for articles...), you have to configure that "Latestnews module" to show Articles of the your predefined "Comment" Section or Category (not Section or Category of commented articles).
jnotti wrote: I see that you mention entering the section/category id of comments but I don't have a section/category specifically for comments.
This is why you see "general articles" as comments.

And another advice: if you want yvComment to work for you, start from strictly following instructions on the homepage. And only after you will have everything working ok, you may play with other (not supposed by the manual) configurations...

Thank you very much, I was able to successfully show the latest comments. My problem was that I needed to create a category specifically for comments. Thanks again, this extension is awesome!

ah72
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ah72 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you very much for this great extension,

I just started to experiment it, It will be really useful for my sites.

Just one thing I didn't like: I don't want it to display the comment form at the first time the page loads, instead I want to let the user choose to display it if he wishes to add a comment. Selecting Position 'On a separate page' from the plugin config was not the solution for me because clicking "add your comment" reloads the page and displays the form only(without the article), which I don't like.

I changed the "components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/tmpl/default.php" to have the form start hidden

Changed this (line 284):

<?php if (!empty($title)) : ?>
        <h3><?php echo $title; ?>
        </h3>
      <?php endif; ?>
      <form name='<?php echo $yvCommentFormName;?>' action='<?php echo $this->escape($this->url);?>' target="_top" method='post'>
to this:

<?php if (!empty($title)) : ?>
        <h3><?php if ($this->params->get('addform_position') != 'separate') : ?><a href="" onclick="document.getElementsByName('<?php echo $yvCommentFormName;?>')[0].style.display='block'; return false;"><?php echo $title; ?>
        </a><?php else: ?><?php echo $title; ?><?php endif; ?></h3>
      <?php endif; ?>
      <form name='<?php echo $yvCommentFormName;?>' <?php if ($this->params->get('addform_position') != 'separate') : ?>style='display:none;'<?php endif; ?> action='<?php echo $this->escape($this->url);?>' target="_top" method='post'>
(I suggest adding an option in the plugin config to choose starting with the form hidden or displayed)

Another thing: firefox shows a css error for style001.css and style003.css on line 2

border: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
changing it to this resolves the problem:

border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
This extension rocks! Thanks a lot Yuri.
web2host.co.cc - Quality Free Hosting without ads - Joomla! auto-installation!!

s87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by s87 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi,

I installed this extension. It is very good extension. Thakns a lot.

But.... I have a problem with it.

Everything was allright but when i changed the article from FRONTSITE and saved it , then the articles dont show autor and data,time when article was added.

My page: www.taniectowarzyski.net

Look at "ARTYKUŁY"

but in others categories i have autor etc.

Please help me

Best regards,

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat May 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Eduardo wrote:Hello Yuri.
I've just installed your YvComment extension for Joomla, and it works fantastically, except for one little problem:
When guests are allowed and the mail is not asked, no problem
But when the mail is required, in the display of the comment bellow the article, in the second file at the right, when there has to be the name of the guest linking his mail, it is said:
"Esta direcciСn electrСnica esta protegida contra spam bots. Necesita activar JavaScript para visualizarla \n '
target='_blank'>fgfg)<%20%3Cscript%20language=>(in this case, fgfg is the name of the guest)"
Hi, Eduardo! I saw this problem too: this is wrong behaviour of the "Content - Email Cloaking" plugin (and it is script, inserted by that plugin, that causes the error).
I recomment you to disable that plugin and, maybe, find some better replacement or report this bug to the Joomla! core team...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun May 25, 2008 5:43 am

s87 wrote:Everything was allright but when i changed the article from FRONTSITE and saved it , then the articles dont show autor and data,time when article was added.
Look at "ARTYKUŁY"
but in others categories i have autor etc.
Why do you think this problem is related to yvComment? Maybe this is due to some global settings...
-Try to disable yvComment and see, if there is any difference...

jonathan_vargas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - Saving IP Address and User Infomation

Post by jonathan_vargas » Sun May 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to save the IP Address of the one who writes a comment?
I am already using yvComment but i want this additional feature because of security reasons.
If you could tell me where to code or send a patch, it would be great.

I am not very experienced coding on Joomla.

Thanks in advance

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Saving IP Address and User Infomation

Post by yvolk » Mon May 26, 2008 5:53 am

jonathan_vargas wrote:Hi,

Is there a way to save the IP Address of the one who writes a comment?
I am already using yvComment but i want this additional feature because of security reasons.
If you could tell me where to code or send a patch, it would be great.

I am not very experienced coding on Joomla.

Thanks in advance
yvComment itself doesn't have this feature, but you may try to find and use some existing "user actions audit" plugin, that would log user actions (including, creation of articles-comments...)
In fact, I beleive, that this MUST be separate site-wide extension to do this (and not many - for every extension...)
If you'll find anything, please post your findings here :)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment says 0 comments

Post by yvolk » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 am

Daniel wrote:Hi,
On my site ... it says 0 comments and does not display any sort of form to post comments.
It looks like user may add comments, but 'Link 'Comments(N)' text to other page' option is set to 'No', so the is no link 'Add your comment' ???
...Should I better hide that Comments(0) in this case?

bravo2red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bravo2red » Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but the link underatheath all my articals is not a hyperlink. Its not clickable!

Any Thoguhts? ???

Deatiles:

http://www.trulyrandom.net/images/Printscreentop.PNG
http://www.trulyrandom.net/images/Printscreenbot.PNG

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.22-hardened-r8 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 DAV/1.0.3 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a ( www.trulyrandom.net ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm

bravo2red wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but the link underatheath all my articals is not a hyperlink. Its not clickable!

Any Thoguhts? ???
I see, that you didn't even follow instructions on the homepage: to start with, you didn't select Section and Category for comments... :(
Believe me: it's a lot easier to follow instructions step by step to get everything working, then to find people, who will help you to find your errors (correcting these errors one by one)...

bravo2red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bravo2red » Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi,

I did follow you instruction actually, i didn't have any sort of Section or Category.

Thanks For Your Help.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 am

bravo2red wrote:Hi,
I did follow you instruction actually, i didn't have any sort of Section or Category.
If you followed instructions from the yvComment's Homepage and still don't have Section and Category for comments, this means, that I failed to make it clear:
1. You MUST create Section and Category (in this Section) specifically for comments.
2. You MUST select them both during configuration of plugin.

And some more suggestions:
- You may not have link because of some problems with access (security...) to the "article view" of the article. Try to make title of your article linkable (in "menu item" parameters -> "Parameters - Component") to see, maybe you will see yvComment in the "article view"...
- I see strange "Username" of guest: "guest user" - maybe Joomla! don't like it... Try to start with what exactly suggested in my instruction: "guest" for "Username".

Good luck!

bravo2red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bravo2red » Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 am

Hi,

I fixed it just before i posted my last artical.

Thanks For All Your Help!
Dan

netguerrilla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by netguerrilla » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:51 am

Yuri -

Great extension!

I have yvcomment installed with Joomla 1.5.3. yvcomment seems to be working correctly. I have a question though. I have an About page on which I don't want the Add Comment boxes to appear. I don't want anyone to be able to post comments on the About page. The About page is an uncategorized article to which I then linked a mainmenu item in the top menu.

You can see the behavior at http://www.10daystoagreatmarriage.com and then click on the About tab.

How can I turn off the comments on the About page?

Thanks.

Rick

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 am

netguerrilla wrote:I have an About page on which I don't want the Add Comment boxes to appear. I don't want anyone to be able to post comments on the About page. The About page is an uncategorized article to which I then linked a mainmenu item in the top menu.
How can I turn off the comments on the About page?
Hi, Rick! Of cause, the simplest solution would be to create Category with e.g. "Uncagorized" name, assign the About page to that Category and then list it in the "exclude list" of yvComment...
If this is not an option for you, please describe: why?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”