yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:46 am

Jack_Conowall wrote:Hello, Yuriy Volkov! In first I should say that your extension is really very good. Or more - it is the best free article comments extension for modern versions of Joomla. But I have one problem: it doesn't work with KeyCaptcha. When I use KeyCaptha the "Send" button displais without any text and doesn't work. And after clicking the "Preview" button system show error message and comment doesn't publish. :(
With disabled KeyCaptcha all work perfectly. Please, recommend me, what should I do. And maybe there is another Captcha plugin for Joomla 1.7 whith will work with yvComments? Thanks.
Hi Jack Conoval,
please check if you did this:
- In yvComment set "Use Captcha"="HTML Block Captcha (KeyCAPTCHA)"
- In KeyCAPTCHA set "Protect comments" = "No"

No, I don't know about other compatible Captchas.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

quentin123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by quentin123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:00 pm

This is exactly what i was looking for !

i'll give it a try on a joomla 1.7 website.

is there a way to backup the comments withe yvComment or with a backup component ?

thank you

Beffa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Beffa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I have a problem. When I enable the plugin it adds this to my pages:

Code: Select all

<div class="yvComment" id="yvComment46">
<div class="CommentClr"></div></div>
I have one category ID selected to show the comments field and that works, it only shows it on that page I have. Why is it adding that stuff above to my other pages? What it does is it breaks my layout. And I dont want extra code on my pages. Thanks alot!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment for Joomla! v.2.5 is released!

Post by yvolk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 am

What's new in v.2.1.0:
^ Updated for Joomla! v.2.5. No "strict standards" warnings any more.
+ Added support for the native Joomla! v.2.5 Captcha plugin (ReCaptcha)
See http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ments/2233
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

saiful07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saiful07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am

I used new version but now this time I feel not comfortable.

saraee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saraee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:25 pm

I wish I have ask my question in a correct place. I have Yvcomment on my joomla 1.5 and want to install new joomla 2.5. I wanted to know is there any way to import my posts from my old yvcomment to the new one?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

saraee wrote:I wish I have ask my question in a correct place. I have Yvcomment on my joomla 1.5 and want to install new joomla 2.5. I wanted to know is there any way to import my posts from my old yvcomment to the new one?
If you used the "Content" table for comments, it's enough to upgrade "articles" to the new Joomla version. Comments will be upgraded just like any other articles without any additional efforts from your side.
If you used yvComment's own table for comments, I guess you better start from moving comments to the Content table first and only then upgrade to Joomla 2.5. See the tip and SQL script in the Information for Developers.

saraee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saraee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Dear yvolk,
Thanks so much for your fast reply. Just I wanted to know if I want to instal new joomla 2.5 and import my post to that new joomla (not upgrade my joomla 1.5 to 2.5), does your post works,too?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:34 am

saraee wrote:Dear yvolk,
Thanks so much for your fast reply. Just I wanted to know if I want to install new joomla 2.5 and import my post to that new joomla (not upgrade my joomla 1.5 to 2.5), does your post works,too?
Think about (and search solutions for...) importing comments created using yvComment just like about importing any articles, created in Joomla.
BUT comment doesn't make sense and cannot be imported elsewhere without information (context) loss without its "parent" article. So if you are thinking about importing only some part of comments/articles from old Joomla site to the new one, you will either need to do this manually (copy/paste from one web page to another and publish comments the usual way...) or find some advanced Joomla admin to do this for you by means of database operations...

saraee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saraee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 am

Thanks dear Yvolk.
I want to import all my articles and all my comments to my new website (Joomla 2.5).
I would use J2XML Importer for importing all my articles to the new website. I should test if I am able to import my comments with this component or not.

666hanswurst
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 666hanswurst » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am

hello i have used yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5 now i updated joomla with jupgarde to 2.5.9

i cant find all the old comments.
this what iam looking for. where are the place of stroage the comment? is there any folder or html file, xml or whatever file.

an where should i put the coments after i found them, to have it in new 2.5.9 installation?

thank you

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 am

666hanswurst wrote:hello i have used yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5 now i updated joomla with jupgarde to 2.5.9

i cant find all the old comments.
this what iam looking for. where are the place of stroage the comment? is there any folder or html file, xml or whatever file.

an where should i put the coments after i found them, to have it in new 2.5.9 installation?

thank you
Please see the "Data model" section here: http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/ ... Developers
plus my comments in this thread made yesterday.

Tomi12
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tomi12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Is it possible to use the extention with joomla 3 version? If not, are you going to update the extention for joomla 3?
Thank you in advance.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Tomi12 wrote:Is it possible to use the extention with joomla 3 version? If not, are you going to update the extention for joomla 3?
Thank you in advance.
I didn't test the extension with Joomla! 3 yet.
Yes, I want to update yvComment for it. Actually recent update to Joomla v.2.5 was the first step to this. But I cannot tell when I will make the task: currently I'm busy with learning Java :-)

Tomi12
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tomi12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

I´m planning to launch a website based on joomla 3 in two weeks and would like to use your extension.
Anyway I wish you all the best in learning java and hope that you be able soon to update yvcomment.
Best wishes.

Sasasa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sasasa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am

Dear yvolk
As I have asked before, I want to install new joomla 2.5 and want to transfer all my articles and comments (with Yvcomment). The comments are stored in DESIGNATED category. The articles were transferred easily to new website with J2xmlImporter but the comments were not. I have done some tests which were not successful. I imported my xxxx_yvcomment table to the new joomla 2.5 xxxx_yvcomment table, but this doesn't work. I also imported the comments to content table to my joomla 2.5 but the list of the comments are empty on my new website.
Is there any point which can help me?
p.s. The J2xmlImporter component import category names automatically, but the comments category was not exported and I have created this category manually in my new website.
the link ( http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/ ... Developers) was also broken.
Thanks a lot.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm

@Sasasa I see that:
- you didn't follow my advises on the easy way to migrate to Joomla! 2.5 :-(
- and the link http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/ ... Developers in my message 3012982 is NOT broken, I've just clicked it to be sure :-)

So, please see and try the way that should work:
1. Start from moving comments from their own table to the "Content" table in your OLD Joomla (1.5 - 1.7 ...). Use information in the http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/ ... Developers section as a reference. Move further only after you are sure that yvComment uses "Content" table and everything works, e.g. you should see comments as ordinary articles in the designated category ( see http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/ ... JoomlasWay)
(you didn't do this, your comments stayed in their own table...)

2. Upgrade to Joomla! 2.5. You should see your comments as articles in your designated category just the same way you saw them in Joomla 1.7.
(You tried to copy old comments table manually but this didn't work because the table should be changed also to be exactly like the main Content table).

3. Install yvComment v.2.1.0+ and configure it:
a. To use "Content" table
b. To use the same designated Category for comments.

Does this work?

Sasasa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sasasa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 am

Dear Yvolk,
I'm sorry for repeating the problem.I could open the URL with Anti Filter software!!
Any way I transfer the comments to content table and will transfer to new website and will let you know the result.
Thanks so much.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 am

Sasasa wrote:Dear Yvolk,
I'm sorry for repeating the problem.I could open the URL with Anti Filter software!!
Any way I transfer the comments to content table and will transfer to new website and will let you know the result.
Thanks so much.
Aha, got it, please read the documentation page copy at JoomlaCode: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/yvcomm ... ge_id=3797

Sasasa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sasasa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks a million. I could transfer the comments in this way:
1. Transfer the comments from Yvcomment table to content table.
2. I export all the article to new joomla with J2xmlImporter
3. Configure Yvcomment to read the comments from content table with it's category.
So Happy

alysion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alysion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Have been using jcomments. Have been looking high and low for alternative--like what I'm seeing here. What I want is to allow long comments but display only so many lines or characters followed by a 'Readmore' button. I looked over documentation and did not see this feature. I would like option of displaying comments in a sidebar, so a 5,000 character comment would be a bit much. My PHP isn't up to adding this feature yet which the former 'Google Friend Connect' used. Haven't found an extension yet so may come to that. Seems like an obvious feature all comment extensions should have.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 am

@alysion your request is NOT about the commenting extension feature, it's in fact is about Joomla's native feature of customizing extension's output (it's called "Layout override" (AKA "output override" and "template override"). yvComment fully supports this feature, see TemplateOverride and search this thread for "override".
Once you've overridden the yvComments layout, it is easy to figure out how e.g. to truncate the text...
alysion wrote:Have been using jcomments. Have been looking high and low for alternative--like what I'm seeing here. What I want is to allow long comments but display only so many lines or characters followed by a 'Readmore' button. I looked over documentation and did not see this feature. I would like option of displaying comments in a sidebar, so a 5,000 character comment would be a bit much. My PHP isn't up to adding this feature yet which the former 'Google Friend Connect' used. Haven't found an extension yet so may come to that. Seems like an obvious feature all comment extensions should have.

Nuzzina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nuzzina » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi :)
I have a problem with yvcomment: I set "Notify Authors about comments on their Articles" to notify author of the article when someone comments his article, but it doesn't work :( what's wrong?

ffarrag
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ffarrag » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Yuri, Hope you are doing well.
I have upgraded my site form joomla 1.5 to 3.1.5, moved the old database.
all the comments were moved but they all fall under articles.
I am trying to install yvcomments, the language file was installed without a problem, on the other hand, the module, plugin and component, I get the error ( JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file)
am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:36 am

Hi Nuzzina,
I haven't tested this feature with recent versions of Joomla!.
Could you please debug the function:
function _NotifyAddEdit($row, $operation)
in this file:
components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php
Nuzzina wrote:Hi :)
I have a problem with yvcomment: I set "Notify Authors about comments on their Articles" to notify author of the article when someone comments his article, but it doesn't work :( what's wrong?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 am

ffarrag wrote:Hi Yuri, Hope you are doing well.
I have upgraded my site form joomla 1.5 to 3.1.5, moved the old database.
all the comments were moved but they all fall under articles.
This is by design and completely Ok.
I am trying to install yvcomments, the language file was installed without a problem, on the other hand, the module, plugin and component, I get the error ( JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file)
am I doing something wrong.
This means that yvComment is not compatible with Joomla 3.x.

Nuzzina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nuzzina » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41 am

yvolk wrote:Hi Nuzzina,
I haven't tested this feature with recent versions of Joomla!.
Could you please debug the function:
function _NotifyAddEdit($row, $operation)
in this file:
components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php
Nuzzina wrote:Hi :)
Sorry, I don't know PHP... what I have to do?

ffarrag
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ffarrag » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm

thanks Yuri for your response, will it be compatible with 3.x any time soon?

thanks

ducbv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ducbv » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:25 am

Why i can't see a clear Captcha image after the comments login ?

Wich plugin do you use for captcha?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 am

ducbv wrote:Why i can't see a clear Captcha image after the comments login ?

Which plugin do you use for captcha?
1. Captcha is used for for unauthenticated (i.e. not logged in) users only.
2. Latest version of yvComment supports at least one Captcha plugin:
- built-in Joomla! Captcha (ReCaptcha)
There may be other compatible captchas, please see KeyCaptcha...

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”