yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
markp17
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by markp17 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 pm

hi can I IM you the site as it is a restricted site.

thanks mark

rusting1947
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rusting1947 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:56 am

Hi,
I am experiencing a couple of problem in optimizing yvComment. While the comment plugin has been installed correctly and i am getting the form displayed on the article page. However, when i tested it by trying to post a couple of comments, in the list of comments section, i see only one comment. Also when i tried to install the smileys and bbcodes by downloading the file from the home page and try to install them in joomla, i am getting an error saying that xml file is missing...pls help

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 am

rusting1947 wrote:Hi,
I am experiencing a couple of problem in optimizing yvComment. While the comment plugin has been installed correctly and i am getting the form displayed on the article page. However, when i tested it by trying to post a couple of comments, in the list of comments section, i see only one comment.
Try more :) . Two is not representative sampling :)
rusting1947 wrote:Also when i tried to install the smileys and bbcodes by downloading the file from the home page and try to install them in joomla, i am getting an error saying that xml file is missing...pls help
You have to unpack that packages and extract another zip (e.g. yvSmileyXX.XX.XXX.zip), that is inside it. Install that yvSmileyXX.XX.XXX.zip file

rusting1947
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rusting1947 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply...will extract the smileys to the folders...but regarding the comments, the actual number of comments that i tried was four...but the list showed only one...while i know its is not a big number, but does it mean that some of the comments will be missed?....

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 pm

rusting1947 wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply...will extract the smileys to the folders...but regarding the comments, the actual number of comments that i tried was four...but the list showed only one...while i know its is not a big number, but does it mean that some of the comments will be missed?....
I think, that problem is, that you don't see that comments.
rusting1947 wrote:in the list of comments section, i see only one comment
I don't get, what is that "list of comments section"?
Try to see in the Administrator interface, two places:
1. menu ->Components->yvcomment->List of comments
2. menu -> Content->Article Manager

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Comments on Poll Results page

Post by yvolk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:10 am

markp17 wrote:This is what I want to do, I want to display it on the Poll results pages so people can suggest things there, but using ID15 for the poll page nothing shows up, I am sure it is something simple I am missing but no idea what.. If I remove the ID15 then it shows on all pages.

SO I know it works
any suggestions?
thanks mark
Hi, Mark!
As I've got, you want to have comments on Poll Results page.
But, yvComment is 'Content plugin'. This means, that such plugins are developed:
- to be associated with some 'Content' (Article, News, etc.)
- to be called by 'com_content' component (or other component in the same way...)

'Poll results' is a page, that is handled by 'com_poll' ('Polls') component, that doesn't launch (call, 'trigger'...) content plugins,
this is why you don't see yvComment on the 'Poll Results' page.
- If you are a developer, please read my post "Using yvComment in custom components" - to know, how to adapt other components to work with yvComment and other "content plugins".
- If you don't want to program, I suggest this approach:
1. Create Special section, e.g. 'Polls'
2. Create Article it this section, e.g. 'About poll results'
3. Enable yvComment for 'Polls' section (or for 'Polls' section ONLY)
4. Make a link from 'Poll results' page to that 'About poll results' article, that has 'Add your comment' link and may be commented. The link may have title 'Discuss these poll results'...

Better approach would be to try to include Poll Results inside that 'About poll results' article (some frame inside this article, that calls com_poll component), but I can't tell, how to do that exactly... try to find this in threads about Polls component usage...

mangamaniak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mangamaniak » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Hey guys, can someone please help me? I setup yvComment but I have a problem with that line that makes it look like the comment for the first post is actually comment for the second one..
Can someone please help, please?
Thanks,
mm
Last edited by mangamaniak on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 am

mangamaniak wrote:Hey guys, can someone please help me? I setup yvComment here - http://vivecasten.se/dev/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=15 - but I have a problem with that line that makes it look like the comment for the first post is actually comment for the second one..
Can someone please help, please?
Thanks,
mm
Did you try to change position of the link to be inside the article box, option that is available in yvcomment plugin (comments position)?!
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

mangamaniak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mangamaniak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:30 am

Hello!
Thanks for the help, I figured it out in the meantime and it forks like a charm now!
Except that the Swedish language is not completely translated and the second line on comments say "YOUREMAIL". I can't seem to find it. Can someone please help? I need to change it to "din email"
Thanks much!
MM

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am

mangamaniak wrote:Hello!
Thanks for the help, I figured it out in the meantime and it forks like a charm now!
Except that the Swedish language is not completely translated and the second line on comments say "YOUREMAIL". I can't seem to find it. Can someone please help? I need to change it to "din email"
Thanks much!
MM
Hi! You may help to update Swedish translation.
Just compare and update, file by file (actually, 2 language files are there), yvCommentLanguagePack_en-GB_X.XX.XXX.zip and yvCommentLanguagePack_sv-SE_X.XX.XXX.zip from JoomlaCode.

rusting1947
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rusting1947 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:10 am

Got the setting alright...thanks for the extension :D ...now my final problem and i am set to go (at least locally)... The comment form after installation is looking like this:

http://img167.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _610lo.JPG

Is there anyway that i can pull the name, email, subject and comment boxes fully to the left side, in line with the bbcodes and smileys?

andrebf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by andrebf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package.

I can't install, what am i doing wrong? I am installing separately as the step by step says.

Can someone help me?

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:06 pm

You first need to unpack (extract) the zip package.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

andrebf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by andrebf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:14 pm

I did it. I did 2 zips, inside of them i can see the XML file...what not?

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Now you must install the two separate zip files, one is plugin and another is component, please read the documentation first!

fmmarzoa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fmmarzoa » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Hello Yuri and Joomla! folks,

I just installed yvComments today on a testing site, but I'm having problems with translations. I've tried to install Spanish package, but I get this error:

"Installer::install: The language file ... could not be installed because the Administrator language package for ... has not been installed or does not exist..."

I've follow the forum and also Yuri's page, but all people says about is that's a bug of Joomla! core and it may be ignored. In fact, if I try to reinstall the language package I get a different error because it's yet installed, but I do not have the front end in Spanish, just in English.

I've enabled the package yvCommentLanguagePack_es-ES in the plugin manager also. The rest of my front end is working fine in spanish, as I've configured days ago.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's my fault, but I do not know what's going on, so if someone could says me what more may I watch to try to solve this...

I'm using:

yvComment v.1.15.0
Joomla! 1.5.2 Production/Stable [ Woi ] 22-March-2008 22:00 GMT

Thanks a million in advance,
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” -- Malcolm X

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:36 pm

I met this problem too, you need to install both admin and front end Spanish languages for you joomla, then install the yvcomment language and publish it!

andrebf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by andrebf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:37 pm

that is what i am saying. I did the installation as documented. that is my post for...discovering why installing all right does not work here.

tks for the pacience all.

What now?

fmmarzoa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fmmarzoa » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:58 pm

I installed the spanish package for Joomla! core, it didn't work at first, but then I uninstall and reinstall the spanish package for yvComment and after that it works like a charm. :)

Thank you very much, vbr_82.
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” -- Malcolm X

jeffj803
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Username instead of name working hack

Post by jeffj803 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:24 am

After a little digging around I was able to modify yvComment to display usernames for comments instead of names. Attached is the file you need and it will need to be copied to your components/com_yvcomment/models/

It still displayes names in the backend but the front end shows usernames.
Enjoy,
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Username instead of name working hack

Post by yvolk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 am

jeffj803 wrote:After a little digging around I was able to modify yvComment to display usernames for comments instead of names. Attached is the file you need and it will need to be copied to your components/com_yvcomment/models/

It still displayes names in the backend but the front end shows usernames.
Enjoy,
Jeff
I see, that the will of users will force me to add this as an option (even though Joomla! itself doesn't have this...) :)

jeffj803
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeffj803 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Hehe thats whats so great about a product such as Joomla. With a little determination and ingenuity your product can take on a life of its own.

hutchinson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hutchinson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:59 am

thanks, works great :laugh:

avery

stavroch
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by stavroch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 am

How can I enable the yvComment to multiple pages. Can I type to the article something like {comments} and to enable this component - plug in?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 am

stavroch wrote:How can I enable the yvComment to multiple pages.
Please describe in more details, what do you mean?
stavroch wrote:Can I type to the article something like {comments} and to enable this component - plug in?
No, currently, there is no way to enable/disable yvComment for the single Article. This is in ToDo list...

ChrisOPeterson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ChrisOPeterson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:17 am

Hey there, I'm new to Joomla and am looking to build some blog functionality into my site. I am really excited about getting this comment extension working, however I am experiencing a strange error I can't account for.

http://www.test.inletmediagroup.net/

heres the site and right off the bat I can't seem to make it so that you can post right on the page. I don't want it to link, I jsut want a comment box right there. However thats not the main problem ;) If you click the add comment it links you here

http://www.test.inletmediagroup.net/ind ... #yvComment

There error message is:
404 - Component not found
You may not be able to visit this page because of:

an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
a mistyped address
you have no access to this page
The requested resource was not found.
An error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try one of the following pages:

Home Page
If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.

Component not found
I have reinstalled the components many times and changed every single option I could think of. Is there some sort of dependency thing I am missing. It says component not found but yeah. Im lost.

fmmarzoa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fmmarzoa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:20 am

It should be some kind of installation issue. Did you installed and published also the required plugin or just the component? Can you access to plugin's parameters through administrator backend?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:42 am

ChrisOPeterson wrote:There error message is:
404 - Component not found...
I also think, that your site is misconfigured. Problem is with "Search Engine friendly URLs" and or, maybe, "Use Apache mod_rewrite" (I suggest to disable them both for the start...).
As you may see, even "Home page" link on that "404 - Error" page doesn't work :(
- This is out of scope of yvComment (and of this thread).

cacimar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cacimar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Yuri,
Is there a current way to permit "Be the first to Comment" to show up as a teaser for those viewer who are not logged in yet?
--
Rich Vázquez, CISA, CISSP
ImpactNews.com

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:59 am

cacimar wrote:Yuri,
Is there a current way to permit "Be the first to Comment" to show up as a teaser for those viewer who are not logged in yet?
The short answer is "no", but maybe you may add some of your thoughts about this, after reading discussion, starting from This message and after it.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”