Installing Agora Forums

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing Agora Forums

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello,

Another newcomer with a problem, I have mental health issues too which make it hard for me to understand things to well, anyway I have a Joomla Site, the latest version and uploaded Agora and as things stand to cut a long Story short I have now got the Word Forums showing on my Joomla Site, as I intended that to be the link to the forums, but it is not a link.

I am sorry to have to be yet another person asking about this, but I just find it hard to follow instructions, I am really sorry :(

I am stuck and really hope one of you kind people can ge me sorted with this please, as I am currently stranded and devoid of ideas as to what to do about it

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installing Agora Forums

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:57 pm

False alarm I have sorted it, sorry to have troubled you

Jekyll and Hyde ;)

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi, the following example assumes that you wish to place a link to your forum in the "Main Menu", you can use any other such as "Top Menu" if you wish, just change the menu title accordingly.

Go to, Menus > Main Menu > New > Agora Forum. Enter the suggested values for the fields below, you can use anything you wish for the "Title" and "Alias".

Title: Forum
Alias: forum

The values below are the defaults, I have included them in the event that they were changed.

Link: index.php?option=com_agora
Display in: Main Menu
Parent Item: Top
Published: Yes
Access Level: Public
On Click, Open in: Parent Window with Browser Navigation

Make sure you save your changes when you have finished.

Hope this helps

Edit: Apparently you submitted your second post while a I was writing mine :). Oh well glad to know that you sorted out the problem :).
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi dizzi,

Well I thought I had got it sorted, and to a degree I have but when I see the forums certain parts or words overlap, can't really put it into words properly, so here is a link to it which should show you the problem I now have

Forums

I just tried the default Joomla template, and things look fine but I wanted it for the other theme as the site is called Bizzy Beez and of course I wanted to use the template that has the beez on, but if I can't and have to use the default template, then I am in a right pickle as I don't think I can change the Site name........oh dear what a mess :'(

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated

Jekyll and Hyde :)

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 pm

I noticed that you have apparently created a new mainmenu module for the forum which is empty at the moment. This uggests that it has been set to an access level other than "Public". There is no need for a seperate module, it creates unnessary overhead. Simply place the link in and existing Menu Module such as the "Main Menu" or "Top Menu" as outlined in my initial post.

P.S. Can you temporarily set the access level of the formum to "Public" so I can have a look at and possibly address the problems you indicated? This will be much quicker than having to create an account.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Sure I will do this, give me a few minutes to do as I am between tasks at the moment, I won't keep you waiting :) many thanks for helping me

Jekyll and Hyde

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Oh hell, I can't find where I set it to Public, its not in the Modules part of Joomla is it? if it is its set to public, if not and I have to find it in the admin part of the forums, I can't see it, sorry :(

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Hmmm I tried to browse to your site but apparently its currently under review by your host and is therefore inacessible.

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Oh blimey, hope I have'nt made a mistake with them or something, thing is I can still work on it

Jekyll and Hyde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jekyll and Hyde » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Apologies for the double post, but when your around dizzi my site is approved and I was told by the hosts that the domain is now active, thank heavens for that, I was worried there for a minute :laugh:

Jekyll and Hyde ;)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”